Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
in no way should my comments about the ac be confused for my genuine like for this product. Nothing in the class looks better, the interior is ingenious and overall build quality is B+.....and the power and ac is not a dael breaker. im on a lease and im sure in 2.5 years, hnda will have addressed the problem. The entire class of mini suv's is getting better every year.

love the look
Wow your car looks amazing! I wish the car came with those "snowflake" wheels, and that blue color looks beautiful. I went out of my way to get a white one, even though I'm not a fan of white. I'm more function over form, so I got white since the body panels don't get as hot as a darker color, and it's also easier to see the car at night. The LX at the time had the choices of white, black, dark green, or metallic dark gray.

Agreed on the ingenious interior. The bouncy torsion-beam suspension takes up significantly less room under the car, which means class-leading trunk space, class-leading rear leg room, lower floors, and the Magic Seats, which have saved me probably two dozen trips with my pickup truck. Compare that to say, the Mazda CX-3, which handles like it's on rails and rides like a luxury car, but that multi-link suspension takes up so much room that the trunk is barely big enough for three backpacks, and the rear seat is more like a shelf. It's all about compromise and what's most important to you.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'll add another theory, driving style affects air conditioning performance.

When ac is on, that drains power from the engine, so it will be clutched off under hard acceleration. In my manual transmission you can feel the snap of power off the line when the air conditioning is disengaged. Being a small engine, it makes a bigger difference than say a v6 which doesn't even notice the load.

I experienced this in my '88 Accord, and also in my HRV. Last summer I was late for a wedding on a hot day. I flogged the crap out of my car speeding down country roads and never had my foot off the carpet. In the 15 minute drive we were sweating buckets, the ac never caught up. After the wedding we drove more leisurely and the car was cool within minutes. Same weather, same day, different driving style.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I 100% agree. I had an 07 Civic before I bought my 2017 HRV. And there is no comparison. The Civic's AC got a lot colder. In 90° temps in GA, I have my HRV AC cranked all the way up on the coolest setting and it only blew cool air. I took it in to get serviced & had them look @ the AC. They said it was fine. They added a little coolant to it. It's a lot cooler than it was, but still not as cold as my old civic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I so agree! IN KS- my wife's HR-V the a/c on a sunny day can hardly cool the car down. My 2011 Civic the a/c works really quickly and makes it cold inside. The HR-V has a very very weak or poor a/c system. Terrible on hot mid-western days!!!! Cloudy days it is fine!

·
Registered
166 Posts
The HR-V A/C is the worst of any car I have owned, including many Hondas. It is barely adequate even in mildly hot weather. The heat in winter is no better. I just changed the thermostat from 180 to a 195 to see if that helps.
The hotter temperature thermostat will make for a strong heater, do nothing for the AC.

Don

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here in central Texas we recently had temps up to 107* At work my car is parked with full exposure to the sun. When I get in the car I drive a few blocks with recirc. TURNED OFF. max blower, minimum temp. setting. This is to purge the extremely hot air inside. Then I switch to recirc. for most of the trip home.

I haven't had a problem with the AC performance.

Don in Austin

·
Registered
188 Posts
My HR-V has two climate control issues: A/C in summer and heat in winter.
Hopefully the high temp thermostat will help with the inadequate heat problem.
Not much I can do about the inadequate A/C.

·
Registered
259 Posts
could be inadequate insulation in the doors etc- the newer 2019HRV supposedly has added material for noise suppression, so maybe Honda is addressing the heat issues with additional insulation and calling 'sound attenuation' for the car magazines and bloggers ?

·
Super Moderator
1,611 Posts
The noise reduction probably has to do with the active noise cancelation.

It might or might not help. Change the cabin filter at least once a year. It gets really dirty in a year. I noticed increased air flow every time I had it replaced.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My ac died. I remember when the car was new, it wasn’t the strongest thing ever. But it worked well at least. My car only has 29k miles. Will be taking it in next week for Honda to check along with white paint issue.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts