Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a problem with our 2018 HRV last week that I've not seen in researching the web and this forum. While driving on the highway there was a sudden loss of power and the accelerator pedal did not cause the engine to rev (the engine was running). Fortunately the car was able to coast to a service station. Once there the car was turned off and then would not start. The starter turned over but the engine would not catch. When the two truck arrived a jump was attempted but again the starter turned over but the engine would not catch. After towing 20 miles to the nearest Honda dealer the tow truck driver was able to successfully jump start the car. The next day the dealer was unable to reproduce the problem. They ran diagnostics and said no problems were shown. We picked up the car and drove it 100 miles home. No problems with the car since then.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? If so was a cause determined?

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
134 Posts
We had a problem with our 2018 HRV last week that I've not seen in researching the web and this forum. While driving on the highway there was a sudden loss of power and the accelerator pedal did not cause the engine to rev (the engine was running). Fortunately the car was able to coast to a service station. Once there the car was turned off and then would not start. The starter turned over but the engine would not catch. When the two truck arrived a jump was attempted but again the starter turned over but the engine would not catch. After towing 20 miles to the nearest Honda dealer the tow truck driver was able to successfully jump start the car. The next day the dealer was unable to reproduce the problem. They ran diagnostics and said no problems were shown. We picked up the car and drove it 100 miles home. No problems with the car since then.

Thanks,

Peter
The gas peddle on the HRV is a Drive-by-wire. Means it's not actually attached to the throttle in the engine. The peddle sends a signal to the engine on how much throttle to give.

If you had an issue with the accelerator, I would check the electrical lines and even the peddle solinoid to ensure there are no frayed wires or corrosion. (Sometimes animals like eating wires. Only takes parking in the wrong spot for a few minutes and an animal can eat the wrong wire.)

But if it's not the peddal and more just total engine shut down, you may have a clogged fuel line, or some other issue with fuel delivers. Perhaps have the fuel filter replaced.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The drive by wire throttle body in any vehicle is very closely monitored by the ECU.
Any DBW issues and the CEL will immediately go on with corresponding DTC's, usually causing an engine limp mode.
The Honda dealer would have checked for this so I don't think this is the OP's issue.

The HRV engine has really basic sequential port fuel injection with a common rail injector arrangement.
The fuel pump is in the fuel tank and the system runs about 45PSI.
The fuel filter is not serviceable
The ECU is not monitoring the fuel pump or pressure so this could be your issue.

As was mentioned, there was a Honda recall for the in-tank fuel pump for certain model years.

I wonder if we have a list of all the recalls for the 2016+ HRV anywhere on this forum:
  • Start/stop button.
  • CVT trans.
  • In-tank fuel pump.
  • White paint.

Just off the top of my head, there are likely more.

• Wow
Reactions: AfishH

·
Registered
187 Posts
The drive by wire throttle body in any vehicle is very closely monitored by the ECU.
Any DBW issues and the CEL will immediately go on with corresponding DTC's, usually causing an engine limp mode.
The Honda dealer would have checked for this so I don't think this is the OP's issue.

The HRV engine has really basic sequential port fuel injection with a common rail injector arrangement.
The fuel pump is in the fuel tank and the system runs about 45PSI.
The fuel filter is not serviceable
The ECU is not monitoring the fuel pump or pressure so this could be your issue.

As was mentioned, there was a Honda recall for the in-tank fuel pump for certain model years.

I wonder if we have a list of all the recalls for the 2016+ HRV anywhere on this forum:
  • Start/stop button.
  • CVT trans.
  • In-tank fuel pump.
  • White paint.

Just off the top of my head, there are likely more.
I have a ‘16 EX and received notice on the start/stop button and CVT but nothing regarding the other two 🤔

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have a ‘16 EX and received notice on the start/stop button and CVT but nothing regarding the other two 🤔

Not all the recalls apply to all model years and all models of HRV's.

For our gray 2016 base LX HRV, only the CVT trans recall applies to ours.

I think the best list of all the North American HRV recalls is the sticky threads in this sub-forum:

I missed the brake recall in my earlier post, but I don't think it was a really a factor.

• Start/stop button.
  • CVT trans.
  • In-tank fuel pump.
  • White paint.
  • Brake system/fluid

Reactions: AfishH

·
Registered
33 Posts
We've had all recalls addressed but I don't know if the fuel pump was one. Would the engine still run if the fuel pump seized?
i have 2018 ex purchased june 2021- how do i find out if there are recalls? do i need to register for the cat extended warranty? new to hondas… gets complicated when you’re not a car-versed human 🤷🏼‍♀️

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
419 Posts
i have 2018 ex purchased june 2021- how do i find out if there are recalls?
Insert your car's info into the NHTSA website, post #8.

Note that there are different areas for RECALLS and TSBs. (You may need to scroll down)

You can also choose to have the NHTSA email you when new recalls/TSBs are posted.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Even if it isn't monitoring the pump/pressure... the lack of fuel while driving should immediately trigger a misfire DTC.
It certainly possible but that hasn't been my experience working on SEFI engines.
Usually the fuel pump dies completely, immediately killing the engine resulting in a crank/no start situation, with no DTC's.

Prior to direct injected engines, the most common cause of crank/no start EFI engine symptoms was a dead fuel pump.
These days, for direct injected engines, the most common crank/no start reason is low fuel (rail) pressure.
The majority of direct injected engines (including diesel engines), now have 2 fuel pumps.

An engine driven high pressure fuel pump. Injector (rail) fuel pressure in a direct injected engine is 10000-30000 PSI.
A 2nd in-tank low pressure fuel pump feeds the high pressure pump.

You'll here the terms high side fuel pressure and low side fuel pressure.

Any modern car is a big computer on wheel.

Reboot.
Some of us enjoy a "computer on wheels", rather than monkeying around with a carburetor! :)

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
679 Posts
It certainly possible but that hasn't been my experience working on SEFI engines.
Usually the fuel pump dies completely, immediately killing the engine resulting in a crank/no start situation, with no DTC's.
While I understand the lack of DTC you mention... it seems specific to when trying to start the engine.

The thing is, the OP was talking about while driving.

I've had misfire DTCs due to lack of fuel in my Fit while driving.

Interestingly, the OP said:
... the accelerator pedal did not cause the engine to rev (the engine was running). Fortunately the car was able to coast to a service station. Once there the car was turned off and then would not start.
Even without input control from the pedal, was the engine still running until it was turned off? I mean, was it idling at the service station?

If so, then it can't be the fuel pump...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks,

Peter
This just happened to me and now the dealership can't find the problem either. It happened in a really bad spot and I had never been so scared. Now I don't know what to do. It only has 25,000 miles on it and I use it to haul my grandsons around in the summer. Do I take my chances as some of the roads I drive are in the mountains and have no berms or are on curves which are dangerous to pull over on.

·
Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
135 Posts

Prior to direct injected engines, the most common cause of crank/no start EFI engine symptoms was a dead fuel pump.
These days, for direct injected engines, the most common crank/no start reason is low fuel (rail) pressure.
The majority of direct injected engines (including diesel engines), now have 2 fuel pumps.

An engine driven high pressure fuel pump. Injector (rail) fuel pressure in a direct injected engine is 10000-30000 PSI.
A 2nd in-tank low pressure fuel pump feeds the high pressure pump.

You'll here the terms high side fuel pressure and low side fuel pressure.

Some of us enjoy a "computer on wheels", rather than monkeying around with a carburetor! :)
Not sure about the 1.5L but the 1.8L here in the US isn't direct injected.
I do agree however, that the "NO START" condition sounds like a fuel pump. I've seen pumps quit and a bang on the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallet will get them working again. The ride on the tow truck may have been enough bouncing to bring it temporarily back to life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts