Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

I accidentally reversed the polarity when jump starting (left the car light on the whole night). Now, the dash board lights and etc won't show.
Front lights and door alert sound are still working. Do you guys know what fuse could be possible blown in this case?
It's 2016 Honda HRV

Thank you

·
Registered
HR-V 1.6 IdTec 120 CV
2 Posts
Bonsoir
Pour commencer, les fusibles dans le cache rouge sur la batterie!
apres , c'est très dangereux ce que tu a fait , un ECU grille tres vite comme cela !!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Than
Bonsoir
Pour commencer, les fusibles dans le cache rouge sur la batterie!
apres , c'est très dangereux ce que tu a fait , un ECU grille tres vite comme cela !!!
Thank you for the input. I assume Honda would design it in such away that once it blow the fuse, it would cut off connection to the ECU.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you are lucky, the main fuse blew before any other electrical item was damaged. Any other electrical item could also be damaged (and there are many)....this is a job for Honda to fix

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are lucky, the main fuse blew before any other electrical item was damaged. Any other electrical item could also be damaged (and there are many)....this is a job for Honda to fix
Thank you. Where is the main fuse located? Wouldn't' the connection to the rest of the electronic get cut off if the main fuse if blown?

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
Yes. If the main fuse is blown, no electrical would be working. The car starts?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The black component on the negative side of the battery might be bad now...(I forget what they call it, but I think it monitors battery power)

Just as something to try, I'd disconnect the ground or negative cable (NOT the side marked + ) for 15 - 30 minutes. This might act as a 'cold boot' to the electronics, and restore functionality.

Before reconnecting, touch the negative and positive leads together to fully discharge any 'memory'. It's worth a shot!

Post back with the outcome...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The black component on the negative side of the battery might be bad now...(I forget what they call it, but I think it monitors battery power) View attachment 30130

Just as something to try, I'd disconnect the ground or negative cable (NOT the side marked + ) for 15 - 30 minutes. This might act as a 'cold boot' to the electronics, and restore functionality.

Before reconnecting, touch the negative and positive leads together to fully discharge any 'memory'. It's worth a shot!

Thank you. That's Interesting! I will try this to see if it works. The good thing is that we don't need the car due to the outbreak and lockdown. So, I can take my time doing my own diagnosis before sending it to honda dealer for diagnosis

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. That's Interesting! I will try this to see if it works. The good thing is that we don't need the car due to the outbreak and lockdown. So, I can take my time doing my own diagnosis before sending it to honda dealer for diagnosis
The black component on the negative side of the battery might be bad now...(I forget what they call it, but I think it monitors battery power) View attachment 30130

Unfortunately, the main fuse assembly is fried. I paid about $250 to get it fixed. But, it doesn't end there
I was told that the radio and backup camera does not work now. It would cost $1900 for that....if that happens. Diagnosis is ongoing

·
Registered
562 Posts
That is why I always double check connections before I jump start a car or charge the battery. There is no simple answer for damage online...I think that is because every car is different

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have jump started car countess times, and it has never happened to me until now. I got distracted. We would think that Honda engineers would put a simple bridge rectifier or something to prevent things like this.
The main fuse assembly costs ~$250 and luckily it only burned the audio fuse. So, the damage is somewhat minimal.
Thank you for everyone's tips and advice!

·
Registered
562 Posts
the positive terminal is clearly red and the negative terminal is black.. Honda recommends using the block post for the negative connection anyway

·
Registered
26 Posts
OMG
If you're lucky, it will only be a fuse issue. Unfortunately, such a mistake often costs thousands of dollars to repair because of all of the computers and sensors that usually get fryed throughout the vehicles with such a mistake. Decades ago, such a mistake wouldn't cause as much damage, but in today's cars everything is controlled by a computers and their sensors. Hoping for the best for you in this situation, but I wouldn't be too optimistic. Sorry if it's not what you want to hear, I'm a realist.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts