Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HR-V is the first vehicle I have owned in a long time that doesn't have lumbar support on the drivers seat. Subsequently I can get severe back ache during long journeys.

I have tried various solutions to this, but I may have just cracked it - the solution, not my back! I purchased a generic inflatable lumbar support pillow on eBay (white item in the image) for around £11;

Product Comfort Motor vehicle Textile Bag

I placed it under my seat cover against the backrest and fed the inflation tube and pump out through the seat cover side airbag vent;

Hood Sleeve Textile Grey Automotive exterior

The inflation pump fits quite nicely against the seat height adjuster, and now I can inflate and deflate the lumbar pillow to the desired pressure whilst still sat in my seat. This was the main disadvantage of the 'Original McKenzie'; I had to leave my seat, retrieve it from its location, and make repeated adjustments until it was just right.

·
Registered
92 Posts
@Hadleys Taxi,

Fantastic solution.
I find the HR-V seats not very comfortable too. Could you share the link so that I can find something similar.

And I think the headrest sucks. I found the solution here by flipping the driver's headrest and then added a small pillow.
I was getting neck pain from driving the HR-V as i am driving more often with my daily commute to work.
Previously I did not have this issue as I was furloughed but started working in November.
I found the angle of the headrest pushed my neck downwards causing my discomfort.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@9w6vx - try searching for 'inflatable lumbar support cushion'. There are a myriad of sizes and styles that may be more suitable to you than the one I used.

As for your headrest issue, you can adjust the tilt angle on them via the button on the side to either tilt forward or be more upright.

·
Registered
92 Posts
@Hadleys Taxi,

Your headrest tilt adjust angle can be adjusted?

My headrest tilt angle is fixed and can't be adjusted except for the height adjustment.
I'll take a picture of my headrest tonight as I took the motorcycle to work today.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not the best image, I grant you, but you can see on the left hand side of both front seat headrests the button you press to adjust the headrest angle forward and back. You can also see in this image the rear centre armrest that you also do not appear to have either.

Different Ships, different Cap Tallies!

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Seat belt Automotive design

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be fair the rear central arm rest sounds better than it actually is as it is practically a 'half' arm rest and it lacks cup holders or storage that a lot of its competitors offer;

Car Vehicle Automotive design Fixture Car seat cover

However, the tilt adjustable head restraints are a very useful feature.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wonder if the US and Canadian models get the tilt adjustable head restraint and rear central arm rest.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just been on a 40 mile journey comprising mostly of A roads and motorway, and I can definitely feel a big improvement with my lower back; no real aches to speak of, no twinges or discomfort.

So far this item has proven its worth.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Some of the pain may be caused by trying to keep a light foot on accelerator pedal. My Fit caused me leg and low back pain and I soon made this modification. So far the HaRV has been OK but have not taken any long journeys.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update on this.

I have had this in place for around a month, covering both city and motorway driving. I have found that I prefer to have the support on long motorway journeys, and have it deflated when driving around town. In town driving I find that when inflated it pushes me further towards the steering wheel than I would like, and reclining the seat back a few notches is not ideal as I have to lean forward at junctions and so on. This is obviously not an issue when on the motorway.

My previous vehicle had a rotary lumbar support that seemed to rotate f-o-r-e-v-e-r for not much support, however, I prefer the fact that this only takes a few seconds to inflate or deflate to provide the required support to my lower back.

The only issue I have experienced is that the actual pillow will not stay in the desired location on my seat. I thought about inserting elasticated straps through the pillow case, but that would end up pulling in the side 'bolsters', so I will be looking to attach some velcro and see how that holds up.

Regardless, it has greatly reduced the amount of back pain I had previously experiencing on long journeys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts