Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So American HRVs received tire pressure monitoring when the rest of the world did not.

Many find the feature annoying but personally, safety comes first so I'm a big supporter.

I purchased the CareUD U912 on AliExpress for $85CAD (67US). It came with the screen/control unit and 4 internal sensors.

The screen is designed to look OEM and fits like a glove in the empty slot next to the traction control button.

I've had it for over a year now and it works great. The only issue I've had is the control screen resets itself when it's -20C. All I had to do was re-pair the sensors using the instruction manual so it wasn't a big deal.

The sensors are mounted to the rim. Battery is supposed to last 5-6years.

Link to the product

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
115 Posts
So American HRVs received tire pressure monitoring when the rest of the world did not.
The TPMS/Deflation Warning System is bog standard on all UK HR-V models since launch, in fact it is a legal requirement. Any vehicle sold after 1 January 2015 with a defective or inoperable (factory fitted) TPMS will fail its MoT, which will invalidate your insurance.

The other thing is I could not fit it there as that is where the following buttons and controllers are located;
Vehicle Stability Control
Front and Rear Parking Distance Control
Lane Departure Warning
Ultrasonic Deactivation
Headlamp Adjuster
Econ Control

However, your system would have solved the "where do I locate the Display Unit?" issue I had with the aftermarket TPMS I fitted to my previous vehicle due to it being relatively big and cumbersome.

·
Registered
384 Posts
the states' HR-V has a passive system - it does not measure pressure and indicate pressure per wheel etc-
it measures rotaions via the same ABS sensor- and calcuates a low tire pressure if there is a discrepancey from the same roation at same speed when the systme was calibrated (significant loss of pressure would show different RPMs etc )- its cheaper and easier and meets the federal mandates etc.

( I don't care for it, by the way)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the correction @Hadleys Taxi. It was kind of ignorant of me to assume the rest of the world didn't have it.

the states' HR-V has a passive system - it does not measure pressure and indicate pressure per wheel etc-
it measures rotaions via the same ABS sensor- and calcuates a low tire pressure if there is a discrepancey from the same roation at same speed when the systme was calibrated (significant loss of pressure would show different RPMs etc )- its cheaper and easier and meets the federal mandates etc.

( I don't care for it, by the way)
This is the best solution because you don't need two sets of sensors if switching to a second set of tires.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thank you for the correction @Hadleys Taxi. It was kind of ignorant of me to assume the rest of the world didn't have it.

This is the best solution because you don't need two sets of sensors if switching to a second set of tires.
True - but for a while i was getting a lot of inconvenient false failure readings -checking pressures. I got a set of 4 new tires, and so far that stopped it. It has it benefits in cost, but it does have " no frills " features. I wish i could just hit a button on the dash and see live readings.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
115 Posts
No worries, every day is a School Day.

There are a lot of things I pick up on this site that are not necessarily relevant to the UK but I find of interest. I read a post on here recently the Jazz (Fit) will no longer be sold in the US. This ties in with the UK where Honda are pushing the new Mk IV Jazz to a more prominent position, to the point they no longer sell the HR-V, and no replacement for it has been announced as yet.

In case of interest, here is the Mk IV Jazz/Fit:

Back OT, one flaw I have noticed with the TPMS as fitted to the HR-V, which actually happened to me in early December. is when all four tyres lose the same amount of pressure at the same time or rate. At the beginning of the month I checked and adjusted all four tyres so they were set at 32psi. Took the vehicle for a drive on the motorway a few days after this and noticed the steering felt 'flat'/slow to respond. When I checked the pressures later, all four tyres had lost around 5psi and not a cheep out of the TPMS. I put the pressure loss down to a sudden cold snap (it has been icy and below freezing since early December) and the fact all four tyres lost approximately the same amount of pressure at roughly the same rate.

I have to say, although flawed, stil better than a kick in the plums!

Regards,

HT

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This morning the temperatures dropped by 10 degrees celsius / 18 degrees fahrenheit and I saw on the screen the psi was at 26 for the rear tires, 29 for the front .

Topped them off and all was well but if I didn't have the info from the screen, I wouldn't have bothered to check the old fashioned way like @Hadleys Taxi .

I read a post on here recently the Jazz (Fit) will no longer be sold in the US. This ties in with the UK where Honda are pushing the new Mk IV Jazz to a more prominent position, to the point they no longer sell the HR-V, and no replacement for it has been announced as yet.
So the smart car was discontinued in North America and one of our newspapers did an article on it.

I don't think in the ways they suggest but many do.

I think the jazz / fit is awesome. I'm jealous you guys also got the Honda E...

A few excerpts from the article:

“Utility and truck-body styles continue to increase in market penetration,” said Robert Karwel, senior manager of the automotive division for J.D. Power in Canada.

Small cars struggle in North America in part because we tend to see cars as indicators of wealth and status. And, in that context, as we’ve written before in these pages, small cars look like failure.

“Only high gas prices and long fill-up lines make us think small,” he said. We will regret not having cars such as the Smart if (or when) gas hits $2/litre, unless electric or hydrogen cars suddenly become ubiquitous.

Why, exactly, bigger cars are always better is a question that goes beyond simple practicality to the core of our collective psyche. The answer is about status and freedom, it’s psychosexual, it’s the prisoner’s dilemma, it’s practically manifest destiny.

“I had never even thought of that, that there must be something wrong if I drive a little car,” Kolano said. He’s heard quips from co-workers about his “clown car” but it doesn’t bother him.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You may find this article of interest
I've had so many thoughts on this topic and this video hit the nail on the head.

In the province of Quebec, they have a European way of thinking so I bet a lot of the statistics from the video wouldn't have applied to them. They loved the cheap sub-compact cars when they were available.

The rest of us do love our SUVs and pick-up trucks so things are going to stay this way until gas prices go up or China tries to dominate the market with some kind of cheap electric car that's full of tech.

The type of attitude we have is disappointing because small cars can be so much fun to drive and if you're just one person in the car most of the time, there's no need for a larger ride.

Most importantly, used cars aren't always reliable so if cheap new cars don't exist - those with a lower income might end up buying something that isn't as dependable.

The video did mention people were willing to pay for the new tech and expect it.. They're right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts