Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V LX CVT AWD. Crystal Black Perl with many many mods!
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to order up an amazon roof bar and cross rails setup for my 2019 Honda HR-V LX. After researching here I found what appears to be a great deal on Amazon. See the photos for more info but the asking price was $269 w free delivery for prime customers. It came with no instructions but was very straight forward and logical. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Nice looking

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
None yet but once I get my snowboard up there I imagine a bit

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the idea of installing rails. What's the advantage to aftermarket rails plus crossbar instead of the rails that clamp on above the doors?
I had Yakima Q towers on my Acura TL they chewed up the paint where they mount down its sketchy and looks like crap IMO I gave my Yakima setup away to the guy who bought the TL.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a few follow up pics with ski racks from Yakima installed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a side note can’t go skiing because it’s 55 degrees this Christmas in Chicago! May Christmas happy holidays all!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I installed a set on my 2018 LX that look probably the same as what you bought. An appealing factor to me is they look almost identical to the factory rails (I like keeping things "original"). They seem fine, but will no doubt not hold to as high of an applied load as the factory parts will tolerate, because I recall the factory ones bolt right through the roof (not easy to retrofit factory roof rails). These should be ok for moderate use, just keep checking for anything starting to work it's way loose.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine use the same mounts as factory if you got the decorative rails then I’d be concerned with that issue!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had to upgrade my tool kit this little ratcheted screw driver and torx bits will save you a lot of time storing the cross rails.
And a Plano sportsman cargo box to keep everything I keep in my car organized, bungee corded the racks to the top of the box ! Still have decent trunk space!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was wondering about installing the roof rails. I remember the Honda salesman telling me that for the LX only it doesn't have roof rail mounts so you can't even have any installed as opposed to the Sport and other trim levels. Those look nice! I see on Amazon that the "supsuper" brand, but have the "snailauto" brand that also includes the cross bars for $305. I'll save my money ad buy some one of these days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went with the clamps and I take them off and on every couple weeks just for fun and still have zero paint damage. Only thing I see diffrent is the camps ride way higher than the rails. As you can see on the picture

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went with the clamps and I take them off and on every couple weeks just for fun and still have zero paint damage. Only thing I see diffrent is the camps ride way higher than the rails. As you can see on the picture
Kidmaxx, your setup looks great and is what I am thinking of getting, which vendor did you use? can you please supply a link or model info?

Thanks

I am thinking of going camping and buying a roof tent, but I am not sure those racks and/or my EX roof can hold it

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You better weigh very little or have good insurance

·
Registered
53 Posts
You better weigh very little or have good insurance
Me plus the tent must be about 230 lbs (lets say 300 for the sake of argument), I can't imagine the car passing safety tests if it can't withstand that force while rolling. That being said the rack flying out while driving on the highway is a higher risk which I am aware of, if I get the model from Kidmaxx the next thing I'll check are the ratings, but the more I google roof racks the more confused I get, specially for my naked roof, I haven't been able to find a site that does say "this works with a naked roof on an HR-V"

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You need to see the hardware they provide before you buy anything try talking to the sellers ask for pictures, some might just be 2 sided tape.
! Be aware!

the LX model only has studs at each end of the rain channel you would need to see this hardware to know if that setup mounts in any safe way

Those forks expand at the ends using a bolt that you tighten and it grabs both the walls of the rain channel and the stud near the end. This setup leaves you with 4 studs at each corner. The other three middle points should come with similar style mounts that only expand deeply into the rain channel and expand when you tighten a bolt from the top.

See this one on Ali express but I paid less on amazon go figure!

US $354.24 4% Off | 4 pieces special Aluminium For Honda HRV HR-V Vezel 2016 2017 2018 2019 baggage luggage rack roof rail roof rack cross bar

·
Registered
53 Posts
Point taken, I still think it can hold my weight on the tent just because when the force is pointing down the roof and rain channels should take it, and those flimsy pieces will be under compression, materials on compression can take a ton. But I do think the wind pulling it back will be too much shear stress on those flimsy pieces and they will fail miserably

I'm thinking of making a DIY camping trailer, buying the frame, and adding some storage for kitchen/porta-potty/generator etc and putting the tent on top with a much more solid installation, the HR-V in the US is not rated for any towing but I think is because of lawyers, in other countries you can tow a 500 kg / 1100 lb trailer

1 - 20 of 33 Posts