Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V LX CVT AWD. Crystal Black Perl with many many mods!
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Point taken, I still think it can hold my weight on the tent just because when the force is pointing down the roof and rain channels should take it, and those flimsy pieces will be under compression, materials on compression can take a ton. But I do think the wind pulling it back will be too much shear stress on those flimsy pieces and they will fail miserably

I'm thinking of making a DIY camping trailer, buying the frame, and adding some storage for kitchen/porta-potty/generator etc and putting the tent on top with a much more solid installation, the HR-V in the US is not rated for any towing but I think is because of lawyers, in other countries you can tow a 500 kg / 1100 lb trailer
I drove 90 mph with all my skis and snowboards up there a few times this winter without any issues. Please explain the scientific basis that supports your hypothesis that you think it’s going to fail?

I would more concerned with breaking the CVT from towing when that is clearly not allowed and in other markets the car is equipped with a manual transmission rather than our cvt setup ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kidmaxx, your setup looks great and is what I am thinking of getting, which vendor did you use? can you please supply a link or model info?

Thanks

I am thinking of going camping and buying a roof tent, but I am not sure those racks and/or my EX roof can hold it

Everything I bought from thule.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
I drove 90 mph with all my skis and snowboards up there a few times this winter without any issues. Please explain the scientific basis that supports your hypothesis that you think it’s going to fail?

I would more concerned with breaking the CVT from towing when that is clearly not allowed and in other markets the car is equipped with a manual transmission rather than our cvt setup ?

I have had up too maybe 300 lb and drove 13 hours in super windy conditions at and about 1 1 0 mph and it didnt fly away. It does get fun when the wind would change lanes for me time to time at those speeds and with high wind but the brand thule is the best in the bussniss.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have had up too maybe 300 lb and drove 13 hours in super windy conditions at and about 1 1 0 mph and it didnt fly away. It does get fun when the wind would change lanes for me time to time at those speeds and with high wind but the brand thule is the best in the bussniss.
I had a Yakima Q tower system on the car I traded in and I know the sweeds might have a better setup however I see how it is mounted identical how mine was and that eventually chewed up the paint around where it mounted to the car ? no matter how good it is you are putting metal with a sticker on it directly on to paint and that’s just a no no if you want to keep your ride looking clean just my two cents

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I decided to order up an amazon roof bar and cross rails setup for my 2019 Honda HR-V LX. After researching here I found what appears to be a great deal on Amazon. See the photos for more info but the asking price was $269 w free delivery for prime customers. It came with no instructions but was very straight forward and logical. Let me know if you have any questions. View attachment 29926 View attachment 29927 View attachment 29928
So I decided to order up an amazon roof bar and cross rails setup for my 2019 Honda HR-V LX. After researching here I found what appears to be a great deal on Amazon. See the photos for more info but the asking price was $269 w free delivery for prime customers. It came with no instructions but was very straight forward and logical. Let me know if you have any questions. View attachment 29926 View attachment 29927 View attachment 29928
Can someone provide a link to the amazon product? I have an '18 LX HRV.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Can someone provide a link to the amazon product? I have an '18 LX HRV.
Hello,

These look similar to the one I got let me know if you have any questions:

I want to recommend this product at Amazon.com
YiXi-Partswell 4Pcs Roof Rail Side Rail Roof Rack Cross Bars Crossbar Aluminum Fit for Honda Vezel HRV HR-V 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 - Silver
by YiXistore
Learn more: Amazon.com: YiXi-Partswell 4Pcs Roof Rail Side Rail Roof Rack Cross Bars Crossbar Aluminum Fit for Honda Vezel HRV HR-V 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 - Silver: Automotive

or

SnailAuto 4Pcs Silver Aluminium -Roof Rail Rack -Cross Bars Fit for Honda Vezel HRV HR-V 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
by SnailAuto
Learn more: Amazon.com: SnailAuto 4Pcs Silver Aluminium -Roof Rail Rack -Cross Bars Fit for Honda Vezel HRV HR-V 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020: Automotive

without crossrails:

Roof Rack Rail for Honda HRV HR-V VEZEL 2015-2018 Cross Bar Silver Aluminum
by Sayeah
Learn more: Amazon.com : Roof Rack Rail for Honda HRV HR-V VEZEL 2015-2018 Cross Bar Silver Aluminum : Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do you have the link to these rails and hardware? I have been looking to buy something like this and haven’t found it anywhere.
Sorry, I didn't see this until just now. Here's how I found mine: "hr-v roof rails" in All Categories

You can visually search for the right parts with that site. For this, don't buy anything where that first picture doesn't show the brackets, and absolutely do NOT buy anything that looks like it's held on with adhesive (those are for show and can't actually be used).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did a write up on the installation of this type of rail not too long ago because there weren't any manuals online and the one I got from the seller was in broken-at-best English. Here's a link: 2016 Honda HR-V Roof Rail Installation Guide
Hey, I used your write up to install my roof rails. Mine did not come with instructions but they were the same (similar? ) as the ones in your article. Your instructions worked great! Thanks! Unfortunately, I also bought the rails that came with cross bars. Those I couldn't get on. I don't like the way they're designed anyway, so I think I'll just buy different cross bars. This is what I got: Amazon.com: SnailAuto 4Pcs Silver Aluminium -Roof Rail Rack -Cross Bars Fit for Honda Vezel HRV HR-V 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020: Automotive

Do you still like the cross bars you mentioned in the article?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey, I used your write up to install my roof rails. Mine did not come with instructions but they were the same (similar? ) as the ones in your article. Your instructions worked great! Thanks! Unfortunately, I also bought the rails that came with cross bars. Those I couldn't get on. I don't like the way they're designed anyway, so I think I'll just buy different cross bars. This is what I got: Amazon.com: SnailAuto 4Pcs Silver Aluminium -Roof Rail Rack -Cross Bars Fit for Honda Vezel HRV HR-V 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020: Automotive

Do you still like the cross bars you mentioned in the article?
Yeah I still love the crossbars I got. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RR1VNRK)

I was very careful about which bars I picked out. I wanted ones that extended past the rail because that gives you more tie-down points. In my case, I used it for 4'x8' plywood and drywall almost immediately and was very happy I had those outer points because it helped me keep it all tied down tight without destroying the edges or being a difficult reach to tie or untie.

I realize the other kind is sleeker, but in my opinion it also narrows the visuals of the top of the car too much from the front and throws off the proportions, while the straight bars end up giving a little more rugged look. Not that this is a particularly rugged vehicle, but if aesthetics matter to you in this, it's worth considering.

Also worth noting, I took the crossbars off when I didn't need them because while it is a more aerodynamic design with good seals it does still add wind noise. The first time takes the longest to put them on because you'll also apply the rubber sound dampening strips, which also more or less set the width for placing them again in the future, so at that point it's really just down to how fast you can turn the screws.

Click the thumbnails below for a better idea of how they'll look.
IMG_6768.jpg IMG_6785.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, with regards to your rail setup below, during installation of the "stud" hardware, were you concerned at all about damaging the paint in the channels as the hardware was tightented? Thank you for your time.

You need to see the hardware they provide before you buy anything try talking to the sellers ask for pictures, some might just be 2 sided tape.
! Be aware!

the LX model only has studs at each end of the rain channel you would need to see this hardware to know if that setup mounts in any safe way
View attachment 30080
Those forks expand at the ends using a bolt that you tighten and it grabs both the walls of the rain channel and the stud near the end. This setup leaves you with 4 studs at each corner. The other three middle points should come with similar style mounts that only expand deeply into the rain channel and expand when you tighten a bolt from the top.

See this one on Ali express but I paid less on amazon go figure!

US $354.24 4% Off | 4 pieces special Aluminium For Honda HRV HR-V Vezel 2016 2017 2018 2019 baggage luggage rack roof rail roof rack cross bar

21 - 33 of 33 Posts