Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
2019 Honda HR-V LX CVT AWD. Crystal Black Perl with many many mods!
Discussion Starter #21
Point taken, I still think it can hold my weight on the tent just because when the force is pointing down the roof and rain channels should take it, and those flimsy pieces will be under compression, materials on compression can take a ton. But I do think the wind pulling it back will be too much shear stress on those flimsy pieces and they will fail miserably

I'm thinking of making a DIY camping trailer, buying the frame, and adding some storage for kitchen/porta-potty/generator etc and putting the tent on top with a much more solid installation, the HR-V in the US is not rated for any towing but I think is because of lawyers, in other countries you can tow a 500 kg / 1100 lb trailer
I drove 90 mph with all my skis and snowboards up there a few times this winter without any issues. Please explain the scientific basis that supports your hypothesis that you think it鈥檚 going to fail?

I would more concerned with breaking the CVT from towing when that is clearly not allowed and in other markets the car is equipped with a manual transmission rather than our cvt setup 馃く

Registered
Kidmaxx, your setup looks great and is what I am thinking of getting, which vendor did you use? can you please supply a link or model info?

Thanks

I am thinking of going camping and buying a roof tent, but I am not sure those racks and/or my EX roof can hold it

Everything I bought from thule.com

Registered
I drove 90 mph with all my skis and snowboards up there a few times this winter without any issues. Please explain the scientific basis that supports your hypothesis that you think it鈥檚 going to fail?

I would more concerned with breaking the CVT from towing when that is clearly not allowed and in other markets the car is equipped with a manual transmission rather than our cvt setup 馃く

I have had up too maybe 300 lb and drove 13 hours in super windy conditions at and about 1 1 0 mph and it didnt fly away. It does get fun when the wind would change lanes for me time to time at those speeds and with high wind but the brand thule is the best in the bussniss.

Registered
2019 Honda HR-V LX CVT AWD. Crystal Black Perl with many many mods!
Discussion Starter #25
I have had up too maybe 300 lb and drove 13 hours in super windy conditions at and about 1 1 0 mph and it didnt fly away. It does get fun when the wind would change lanes for me time to time at those speeds and with high wind but the brand thule is the best in the bussniss.
I had a Yakima Q tower system on the car I traded in and I know the sweeds might have a better setup however I see how it is mounted identical how mine was and that eventually chewed up the paint around where it mounted to the car 馃槵 no matter how good it is you are putting metal with a sticker on it directly on to paint and that鈥檚 just a no no if you want to keep your ride looking clean just my two cents

21 - 25 of 25 Posts