Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
The CVT does have a transmission filter correct. Some place says two which sounds funning as never heard of any auto trans having two filters.
What is the location of filter/s?
thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'll be a monkeys uncle. I scoured my manual and there are two strainers (I think most ppl would call them filters). One is accessed through the pan. The other is accessed through the fluid warmer. Good find!

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
The CVT does have a transmission filter correct. Some place says two which sounds funning as never heard of any auto trans having two filters.
What is the location of filter/s?
thanks
I've had both filters replaced.

One is located in the engine bay, behind the CVT warmer. The other can be accessed by dropping the pan. Mechanic said it was a good idea to change them.

Here are the parts required (prices in CAD):

O-RING, CVTF WARMER91302-5T0-003$3.01
O-RING, CVTF WARMER91303-5T0-003$4.36
O-RING (37.7X3.5) (ARAI)91305-PN4-003$4.14
GASKET, OIL PAN21814-5T0-000$12.62
STRAINER ASSY. (CVT)25420-5T0-003$67.38
FILTER25450-P4V-013$18.82

I ordered it all from Amayama.com because it was cheaper than the dealer.

Also - Amsoil CVT works great. My HRV has never been smoother

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your wright there is two oil filters on the AWD.
Checked Honda and the show the 2.
The one in the transmission pan is like 95 buck at Honda plus tax, the pan gasket 15 bucks and plus tax. The small filter and three O rings under the cooler connection at the transmission is 40 bucks plus tax.
Pricey. Will check aftermarket for availability and price.
Going to do it wright and change both filters for sure and change lub twice so all one nice clean lub which will be the Amsoil's CVT. I don't want any Honda fuild remaining in the transmission. Want all Amsoil which is far superior the OEM.
Pay a lot now or a whole lot more it transmission poops out for sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I changed my 2016 HR-V CVT fluid last week according to the "Harvey" video which is the same procedure as shown in the Honda service manual. I made sure the HR-V was level while on front ramps and rear jack stands.

The Honda service manual says 4.2 quarts is the correct amount and this is exactly the amount my transmission took. How that guy got 5 quarts in his system is beyond me. The original amount I drained was installed by my Honda dealership and measured 4.2 quarts. The Amsoil website shows 4.2 quarts.

Anyway, I switched from the Honda CVT fluid to the Amsoil CVT fluid which meets the Honda specs and the HR-V loves it.

Now that I know that my car takes 4.2 quarts exactly, I will skip the step with the "check" bolt but I will do everything else, including the shifting through the gears with a warmed up engine and transmission.

Again, this is an excellent time to remove and clean the rubber vent cap. If you take the extra few minutes to remove the plastic air intake, access is very easy. If the air hole in the vent cap gets plugged, the rubber fill cap can blow out and allow transmission fluid to blow out of the hole.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Using non-Honda CVT fluids can put your extended HRV CVT warranty at risk.
Especially if the non-Honda CVT fluid is a completely different color than the clear/yellowish Honda HCF2 CVT fluid.

The dealerships will look for things to invalidate the warranty and they have checklists for high dollar items like transmissions.
Disputing Honda's decision to invalidate your warranty is certainly possible but is no fun while your HRV sits at the back of the dealer lot.

In an other thread, the HRV owner put much larger diameter tires on his HRV.
I wonder what his warranty status would be if he towed his HRV in to a Honda dealer with a failed CVT?

·
Registered
52 Posts
In most cases, I change my own fluids. However, my Element has such low ground clearance that I'm willing to pay to have it done. My local Honda garage has been putting my Amsoil fluids in it for decades. No problem with them and no problems with the car. Maybe I just have a good dealership/service department that likes to take care of their customers and have them come back. I've been using them to service my Honda and non-Honda vehicles for over 30 years.
They've even recommended non-Honda mechanical replacement parts from local auto parts stores when they are just as good, if not better, than the OEM parts. They treat me like family and even sell me Honda fluids at their dealer price for my DIY jobs at home.
Maybe its the fact that I live in a rural community instead of a large city that makes the difference. They like repeat business and always try to make things right if they don't succeed at first.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts