Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would start a thread on what options are available for Android users getting Navigation working on their EX screens. Found that if you have an Android phone that supports MirrorLink 1.1 (they have a listing of supported phones on their site) you can run some approved apps while driving. Well actually, I can only find one that runs on the HRV at this time, but still looking. Sygic Car Navigation will work while driving, but does come with some annoyances. Below is a quick review of my experience with the app, however it comes with a 7 day trial period before costing 80 Eur for the license.
PROS:
You have navigation on the screen with guided voice commands.
It provides offline navigation (although this could be a negative for devices with limited space)
For many roads it will show the speed limit and give you a warning if you exceeding that limit
It shows the actual lanes on the screen, letting you know which lane you need to be in.

CONS:
MirrorLink can be flaky at times with getting the phone to connect or aspect correct (could be an issue with my phone)
The phone screen must be on the entire time that you have navigation on, if you turn it off the display will just show your locked phone screen.
It talks a lot which can get annoying very quickly (especially if listening to music). Example - It notifies you that you have a left turn coming up 1 mile away, then 3/4 miles away, then 1/4 mile away and then at the turn. It will even tell you to continue straight through some lights, but not others.
It told me to go the wrong way down a one way
It does not announce street names for turns, just states turn left in 3 turns.
Searching is horrible. If you want to search an address, you need to search the city and select it, then search for the street and select it, and finally select the #.

If anyone finds any other apps that work while driving, post them here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What are the options if you don't want to (or can't) use an app? Can you hook your phone up to the dashboard screen with an HDMI cable and display Google maps/nav from your phone on the screen?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm starting to think the answer to this thread's question is to buy an LX and a $150 Garmin navi unit at Best Buy.
...or a mount for your phone. I'll probably try Honda's nav app for the integration, but I'm not expecting much. For any serious nav I'll revert to google on the phone.

Honda's supposed to be making an announcement soon on Carplay, but probably only on new cars (Civic and Pilot?). That would be cool, but even with Carplay we'd be stuck with Apple Maps, which always seems to think my destination is in Tennessee or Vermont.

Edit: whoops, just realized this is an Android thread. Haven't heard any rumours about Android Auto on Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2016 HRV EX and my salesman assured me android was compatible through HondaLink. It's apparently not. Anyone have any updates on this? Google has not been helpful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Reviving this thread to see if there are any updates on how the EX trim can have navigation with an Android phone?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Still haven't heard anything. We even had my wife do a trial run on a used iPhone to see if the compatibility with the nav in the HR-V is worth it. Everything I've heard thus far is that Android compatibility at this point simply does not exist, and upgrading to Android Auto (which seems to be the most promising route to Android nav display compatibility) would require a hardware update, not simply software. I would love for that to be wrong, but that's been the working assumption of a lot of folks who at least act like they know what they're talking about. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
My salesman told me that some time in the future, Android would just "magically" start working. Being in IT, I somehow don't think he knows what he is talking about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Still haven't heard anything. We even had my wife do a trial run on a used iPhone to see if the compatibility with the nav in the HR-V is worth it. Everything I've heard thus far is that Android compatibility at this point simply does not exist, and upgrading to Android Auto (which seems to be the most promising route to Android nav display compatibility) would require a hardware update, not simply software. I would love for that to be wrong, but that's been the working assumption of a lot of folks who at least act like they know what they're talking about. :)
I heard there is an app for the android that you can use which displays the maps on your screen. It's somewhere in this forum, so I'm still doing my research. Would love to have that nav on my screen!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can get more info about Sygic Car Navigation on mirrorlink-navigation.com

Many of the annoyances can be solved by settings inside the app itself - like voice instructions. However probably they can not do much about MirrorLink tech issues (like the screen needs to be running).

Hope this helps a little bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The whole system is Android (4.0.4) on my UK spec EX CVT. Annoyingly there's only AHA radio in the apps store at the moment, and I see that the Navigation system uses "Here Maps" (still better than apple of course, but am used to Google maps with constant updates). Waiting for better phone integration, but so is my ex wife with her new Vauxhall Astra (GM in the US). That was promised within weeks. Maybe we are just waiting for Google /apple to finalise software - but unsure how apple will integrate with what is an android system!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was talked into purchasing the Apple connection for my Iphone. I was then sold an app to use the navigation system through the phone. Some months later the Hondalink was replaced by Sygic. I am not a fan of apple or either of the systems. I would like to replace the display with this Android 4.4.2 Quad core 1024x600 Car Dvd Gps Navi Radio.

Has anyone gone down this road? The car is a 2015 limited edition in Australia and has only six thousand kilometers on the clock, so I am reluctant to start pulling it apart.

Would appreciate any comments thanks.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have yet to see an aftermarket head-unit that supports the backup camera or lane watch camera for this car.

I know there is a control unit that can disable the parking brake check, and allow the screen to be mirrored over HDMI, but it would lack touch. This would allow you to show whatever map you want on your head unit, but you would have to use your phone to interact with it.

A third option we've kicked around is to find a modern Honda head unit that actually supports carplay and swap it into the HRV, untested, but maybe would work?

·
Registered
153 Posts
A third option we've kicked around is to find a modern Honda head unit that actually supports carplay and swap it into the HRV, untested, but maybe would work?
That's been my thought. If other countries (and cars, like the Civic) are able to get Carplay/Android, why can't we do a swap of the HU?

Not looking forward to how much that would be, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I got full mirroring though MirrorLink to mostly work on my 2015 Civic Si, which I think pretty much has the same HU. So you can use any app on your phone, and since its through MirrorLink, full touch controls work.

I know a lot of people have been looking for a solution to getting mirroring working, most of the solutions being through the HDMI and modifying settings.
So I though I'd look around for people looking to mirror their phones and share what I did, and I'm also curious whether it will work with other vehicles with similar HUs.

Link to original post with pictures:
9thgencivic.com/forum/9th-gen-civic-general-chat/194650-mostly-working-full-phone-mirroring-through-mirrorlink.html

Important Note: I have a Samsung Galaxy Note5, and I have not tested this with any other phone, or vehicle.

Quick rundown:
1. Install LG MirrorDrive from the PlayStore
2. Connect through MirrorLink
3. Go to apps and open LG MirrorDrive (might take several tries)
4. You should now be on your phone screen

Note: any time you open an app on the phone, it kicks you out to the main infotainment screen, just open LG MirrorDrive again and it will go back to the phone screen, with your app open and fully functional.

·
Administrator
1,492 Posts
This is awesome. It's nice to finally have google maps working on the HRV. I tried it and it works great on Verizon Note 4. I made a video showing how it boots you out of the app but eventually works after a couple retries. Thank You, liinko.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So I got full mirroring though MirrorLink to mostly work on my 2015 Civic Si, which I think pretty much has the same HU. So you can use any app on your phone, and since its through MirrorLink, full touch controls work.

I know a lot of people have been looking for a solution to getting mirroring working, most of the solutions being through the HDMI and modifying settings.
So I though I'd look around for people looking to mirror their phones and share what I did, and I'm also curious whether it will work with other vehicles with similar HUs.

Link to original post with pictures:
9thgencivic.com/forum/9th-gen-civic-general-chat/194650-mostly-working-full-phone-mirroring-through-mirrorlink.html

Important Note: I have a Samsung Galaxy Note5, and I have not tested this with any other phone, or vehicle.

Quick rundown:
1. Install LG MirrorDrive from the PlayStore
2. Connect through MirrorLink
3. Go to apps and open LG MirrorDrive (might take several tries)
4. You should now be on your phone screen

Note: any time you open an app on the phone, it kicks you out to the main infotainment screen, just open LG MirrorDrive again and it will go back to the phone screen, with your app open and fully functional.
Have you done any long drives using this with google maps? Just wondering if the car usb is strong enough for your phone to stay charged or not?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts