Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody having an issue with the front seats comfort wise? I'm a Honda guy from way back but can't stand some of their seats. Kills my back. My daughter has the same problem. There's more than a couple threads on Civic forums where people have purchased new Civics after short test drives & had to take the drivers seat to an upholstery shop to be reworked. Some have even traded them back in or sold outright because they were so uncomfortable. This has been an ongoing issues for years. I'm real interested in the HRV, but don't want to screw up. Not like we can rent one for the weekend or even go for an extended test drive. Is there any adjustable lumbar support in the LX or EX?
Anybody???
Mods, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong section. Kinda new around here. Lol

·
Registered
332 Posts
Welcome to the forum :) I have test driven 3 times, twice were EX-L trims and the other was an EX. First drive with the EX-L was comfortable. My last test drive was in an EX-L and it was bothering me in the lumbar support area. I am thinking that they can vary from one another, at least that is what I am assuming since one I found comfortable in leather, and another not at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anybody having an issue with the front seats comfort wise?
I have spinal stenosis, and (so far) the HR-V front seats are comfortable for me. My previous car was a Toyota Matrix (which I really liked), but the back portion of the bottom of the seat sloped too much for my back issue(s). I'd sit in the Matrix, and before too long my legs would begin to tingle and/or cramp up. I had to buy a wedge cushion to keep me sitting in a more upright position. This didn't happen in the Chevy Venture van ("flatter" seat, and I could adjust the back to a more upright position).

I think some people on this site have complained about the seats being too firm, but they work for my problem. I have to sit in a more upright position than most people prefer. (Can't stand to be sitting in a semi-reclining position.)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think some people on this site have complained about the seats being too firm, but they work for my problem. I have to sit in a more upright position than most people prefer. (Can't stand to be sitting in a semi-reclining position.)
Yes, I think they are very firm. Possibly the leather more so than the cloth. I assume they should soften up a bit after some time. Now that you say about the upright position, I am wondering if on my last test drive if I may have had the seat further reclined than the first time in the EX-L. I will go back and check that out.

·
Registered
772 Posts
No adjustable support. It should be uncomfortable, the seats are firm, but the dimensions seem to fit me.
Way more lumbar support than my old 2004 accord. Heated seats are nice.
The only thought I have had is more thigh support. But even that seems fine when I'm not driving 1000 miles at one time.
Really enjoying the HRV-

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think the seats are more comfortable than my 13 CR-V. Those bothered my legs as there was an odd angle for me on the lower portion and I would get achy legs from lack of support or something and there was no front angle adjustment at all. I was always having to adjust my seating position on longer drives but so far the HR-V does not give me the same problem. I've never had complaints on the back of the seats on either Honda so far anyway.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I find my seats in the EX very comfortable, although about a 2 hour drive is the longest I have been sitting in them in one shot.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Seat comfort can be so personal, no way to really tell until you spend some time there. Which can really suck if they end up hurting you. So far I have no problem with my HR-V seats. They are firm, but I have had a few German cars and they always have very firm seats. My thought is always that firm is better as it will break in to your shape over time. Just under three weeks in the HR-V and I am still "giddy" every time I get into it. I may be more excited about this car than any I have owned, and I have owned way too many!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Seat comfort can be so personal, no way to really tell until you spend some time there. Which can really suck if they end up hurting you. So far I have no problem with my HR-V seats. They are firm, but I have had a few German cars and they always have very firm seats. My thought is always that firm is better as it will break in to your shape over time. Just under three weeks in the HR-V and I am still "giddy" every time I get into it. I may be more excited about this car than any I have owned, and I have owned way too many!
Have only had one German car, a 1988 VW Scirocco with leather seats and those were very comfortable, less firm overall than the ones in the HR-V (and the Crosstrek since I am considering that as well).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Way better than my 2008 Fit! There's LUMBAR. Longest trip I've done so far is only 2 hours since my commute is very short 15 min or less. Big test will be on a 5 hour road trip this weekend across the state, but I'm looking forward to it. The Fit would give me a sore back for days if I didn't sit just right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
More on seats

I'm hoping the seats are similar to my old 2003 Odessey van. Rather hard, but did just fine on long trips. I own 2 older Civic hatchbacks that kill my back after about 45 min driving.
I guessing the HRV & van seats are better since they sit more upright, like a chair, verses laying on the floor in the Civics.
Any additional input greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I turned in a leased 2013 BMW X3 for my new Honda HR-V EX-L. Seats are just about as comfortable. That was one of the key selling points. New HR-V cost less than buying the X3 after lease ended.

But an odd complaint. The HR-V black leather seats do not cool off as fast as the X3 seats when you get in on a sunny day. I didn't have refrigerated seats in the BMW. As I live in California, lately that means every day. Guess I need a reflective seat cover to put on the drivers seat when parked outdoors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Way better than my 2008 Fit! There's LUMBAR. Longest trip I've done so far is only 2 hours since my commute is very short 15 min or less. Big test will be on a 5 hour road trip this weekend across the state, but I'm looking forward to it. The Fit would give me a sore back for days if I didn't sit just right.
So how did you do on your trip? Any beefs? :):crying:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think the seats are more comfortable than my 13 CR-V. Those bothered my legs as there was an odd angle for me on the lower portion and I would get achy legs from lack of support or something and there was no front angle adjustment at all. I was always having to adjust my seating position on longer drives but so far the HR-V does not give me the same problem. I've never had complaints on the back of the seats on either Honda so far anyway.
Agreed with Razer. I also find the HRV seats more comfortable than on my 2014 CRV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had my HR-V for about a month now and apparently my test drive was too short. I find the seats really uncomfortable. First of all, I had to turn the headrests around. Second, I think the seats were made for someone that is maybe 5'5" tall. I am 6 foot. The top of the seat back comes too far forward right in the middle of my back causing me to slouch. If it had a really good lumbar support, that may have helped out. Also, the steering wheel blocks the speedometer when I adjust the wheel to where it is somewhat comfortable. If I scooch down in the seat, I can see the speedometer. That is part of why I think the seat was made for a shorter person. I am driving cross country in a month and I am dreading it bcause of this. I will try the towel in the lumbar region trick and see if that is helpful. Any other suggestions?
Other than that, I really like this little car.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I turned in a leased 2013 BMW X3 for my new Honda HR-V EX-L. Seats are just about as comfortable. That was one of the key selling points. New HR-V cost less than buying the X3 after lease ended.

But an odd complaint. The HR-V black leather seats do not cool off as fast as the X3 seats when you get in on a sunny day. I didn't have refrigerated seats in the BMW. As I live in California, lately that means every day. Guess I need a reflective seat cover to put on the drivers seat when parked outdoors.
I think that has to do with the cheaper thinner glass that Honda uses compared to BMW. I can't say for certain that they're different in terms of heat and UV transmittance, but they're definitely thinner on the Hondas, and the inside of our previous BMW was a fair bit cooler than the inside of our Civic on a sunny day, even though it had a black interior whereas the Civic had a gray interior. Once the windows were tinted with a quality film they felt pretty much identical.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Seats are about as comfortable as any I've had in a vehicle....
No complaints at all.

The material in the cloth seats is a bit course but typical for automotive cloth.
I'm opting for GT Covers microfiber seat covers in front to give it a more luxurious feel and obviously for the protection of the light colored material.

·
Registered
772 Posts

I think that has to do with the cheaper thinner glass that Honda uses compared to BMW. I can't say for certain that they're different in terms of heat and UV transmittance, but they're definitely thinner on the Hondas, and the inside of our previous BMW was a fair bit cooler than the inside of our Civic on a sunny day, even though it had a black interior whereas the Civic had a gray interior. Once the windows were tinted with a quality film they felt pretty much identical.
It also has to do with the dyed, not to tinted windows. The dyed windows actually seem to make the car hotter

1 - 20 of 134 Posts