Honda HR-V Forum banner
121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have the same issue! Did you find any good solutions?
As a 6'4" driver I had to make several changes to get comfortable, I agree it seems designed for a shorter person, that said.. I've done a 28 hour round trip on mine and was incredibly comfortable the whole time.

First I'd try packing washers under the front of the seat rails, it tips the front up to support your legs

Second, I installed seat rail extenders, now can move back so far I can't touch the pedals!

Third, tipping my seat back forward, near vertical (so I could reach the wheel)

The steering wheel I agree... Ive gotten used to dipping my head to look under the wheel. I've seen some people install heads up units that display speed on your windshield, could be an option if it bothers you.

All the mods I did to my car are in this forum, I'd link but I'm on mobile

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes so much so that after 9 months of owning it I am planning on dumping this car the day its paid off. The seat comfort is absolutely tragic and is much more reminiscent a park bench...The pain is similar to landing on your back after a bad jump off a diving board. Its way to stiff, way to upright. Even with a nice recline my back hurts. I have been testing out different seating arrangements since the start to no avail....definitely getting rid of this car ASAP. I really wanted to enjoy it but its not worth feeling sore after short drives.I have seen some interesting solutions to this issue but don't plan on bothering. I hope nobody is having severe issues like I am. Would not recommend this car to anybody...nor any Honda after this disaster of a seat...For the record I am in my 20s...no WAY I should be having back pain like this. Oh well...better start looking for another car...Hopefully you guys are enjoying your hrvs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes so much so that after 9 months of owning it I am planning on dumping this car the day its paid off. The seat comfort is absolutely tragic and is much more reminiscent a park bench...The pain is similar to landing on your back after a bad jump off a diving board. Its way to stiff, way to upright. Even with a nice recline my back hurts. I have been testing out different seating arrangements since the start to no avail....definitely getting rid of this car ASAP. I really wanted to enjoy it but its not worth feeling sore after short drives.I have seen some interesting solutions to this issue but don't plan on bothering. I hope nobody is having severe issues like I am. Would not recommend this car to anybody...nor any Honda after this disaster of a seat...For the record I am in my 20s...no WAY I should be having back pain like this. Oh well...better start looking for another car...Hopefully you guys are enjoying your hrvs.
No problem with the seat in my HRV whatsoever. I am about 5'8"

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have driven many short trips running errands, in and out of the car, a bit of sitting traffic, and a couple of long rides with 4 hours at a time behind the wheel. I'm 5'5" and almost 70 years old. No back problems, no discomfort with the HRV seat. I have the EX, so no leather, just cloth. No complaints.

It was still chilly weather when I first bought the car. Loved the heated seat, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello! You need to search on this site HRV uncomfortable seat fix and do what she says and you will no longer have a problem with your seat :) it is amazing and so simple. I cannot believe Honda produces a car with this terrible terrible seat construction but this is a immediate fix. Best to you and please spread the word[

QUOTE=hrvdude;416802]Yes so much so that after 9 months of owning it I am planning on dumping this car the day its paid off. The seat comfort is absolutely tragic and is much more reminiscent a park bench...The pain is similar to landing on your back after a bad jump off a diving board. Its way to stiff, way to upright. Even with a nice recline my back hurts. I have been testing out different seating arrangements since the start to no avail....definitely getting rid of this car ASAP. I really wanted to enjoy it but its not worth feeling sore after short drives.I have seen some interesting solutions to this issue but don't plan on bothering. I hope nobody is having severe issues like I am. Would not recommend this car to anybody...nor any Honda after this disaster of a seat...For the record I am in my 20s...no WAY I should be having back pain like this. Oh well...better start looking for another car...Hopefully you guys are enjoying your hrvs.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4 Posts
SOLUTION TO UNCOMFORTABLE HRV SEATS!!!!!!

If you go into the back seat you can access the seat back of the front seats. Go to the bottom of the seat and there is a "clip" that runs along the bottom of the seat cover. Pop that off. That will reveal 2 zippers on each side. Unzip them to the top. Inside you will see 2 springs. I put a couple of piece of foam in FRONT of the springs to push the seat out in the lumbar area. You could also buy and inflatable lumbar support etc and put it in there. This difference is night and day! This car has been near flawless and this issue really REALLY bothered me, but now it is solved... For free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seat Modification Question

Could you give some more information on foam thickness you used and approximate size of foam needed to do this mod?Sounds like you have solved this problem that anybody should be able to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also made the mistake of buying a 2018 hr v in mint condition with leather seats. I am 6 feet 240 lbs and I realized within on day the seats suck. My legs were killing me from the super high bolsters on the seat cusion so I had an upholstery shop cut off almost two inches to flatten the seat bottoms. Next I realized the bolsters on the seat back were way to thin and crushing my sides and hurting my ribs. I had them cut back also. My tail bone is also killing me from the seat bulging out on the bottom instead of lumbar support. I have also modified the back seat bottom and added foam behind the springs to give some where for my butt to go and get lumbar support. So far I have modified the seat four times in the first two weeks I have owned this vehicle and still am not sure I have achieved basic comfort I could live with For me personally there are so many things wrong with my hr v seat design that I highly suggest anyone looking at this car that is 6 feet tall to make sure they fit before you buy. Buyer beware. For those of you that fit the seat perfect I am jealous. For me it is the painful opposite.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 EX and have realized the driver's seat does not support me properly. It irritates my back. Since it seems the front of the seat is too low. I threw a couple of washers under the front seat mounts raising the front mounts less than 1/4" and the seat base is much better positioned. Now my legs are better supported. Next step is to add a couple more washers hoping to perfect the support. I'll let you know how much works best for me.

What is the verdict for these seats? Does anyone have recommendations for optimal height? Has anyone swapped in better seats?

Thanks,
Erik

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,303 Posts
The front seats are compromised due to the fuel tank being located directly underneath them.

For me the seats don't go down far enough, just a couple of centimetres would be sufficient, so I have the rake of the seat back set further back than I would normally otherwise I hit my head off the sun visor, and cannot read the speedometer fully.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also made the mistake of buying a 2018 hr v in mint condition with leather seats. I am 6 feet 240 lbs and I realized within on day the seats suck. My legs were killing me from the super high bolsters on the seat cusion so I had an upholstery shop cut off almost two inches to flatten the seat bottoms. Next I realized the bolsters on the seat back were way to thin and crushing my sides and hurting my ribs. I had them cut back also. My tail bone is also killing me from the seat bulging out on the bottom instead of lumbar support. I have also modified the back seat bottom and added foam behind the springs to give some where for my butt to go and get lumbar support. So far I have modified the seat four times in the first two weeks I have owned this vehicle and still am not sure I have achieved basic comfort I could live with For me personally there are so many things wrong with my hr v seat design that I highly suggest anyone looking at this car that is 6 feet tall to make sure they fit before you buy. Buyer beware. For those of you that fit the seat perfect I am jealous. For me it is the painful opposite.
What thickness foam did you use?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all! I recently purchased a 2021 HRV Sport AWD after my previous SUV was totaled in an accident. I'm 6'4", somewhere around a 34-36" inseam. I've adjusted the seats in literally every possible position. I'm either getting lumbar pain or thoracic/neck pain depending on seat adjustments. I have the seat all the way back and down, forward enough on the seat back to rest my wrists on the wheel as advised. Anyone have luck with anything else?

I didn't experience the pain during my test drive, and unfortunately I needed a car for work and the only car I could remotely fit in, that was in stock with the shortage and within a reasonable distance from my small town, was the HR-V.

I added 1/2" of washers under the front seat bolts and the seats gently touch my thighs. I tried wedges for the seat bottom, I tried lumbar supports but they're way too thick. I was gonna try adding foam to the springs under the upholstery which I saw on here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't own a honda hrv but my dad does. Anyway, my dad was drunk and i had to drive. I found the seating position very uncomfortable and my ankle cramped after driving it a while. i had the seat all the way back and set to the lowest height. It doesn't drive all that bad but the seating position is so bad. Do any of you have the same problem? it's not my car but im just curious?

121 - 134 of 134 Posts