Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think the head unit is the culprit- it's not great at all -
replacing the speakers (like I did) is an improvement at times- but not a huge leap.
Next up on the list for me is a new Kenwood.
I assume you have the 6 speakers (one per door and 2 tweeters in dash ?)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I think the head unit is the culprit- it's not great at all -
replacing the speakers (like I did) is an improvement at times- but not a huge leap.
Next up on the list for me is a new Kenwood.
I assume you have the 6 speakers (one per door and 2 tweeters in dash ?)
The last 2 cars I replaced stock speakers in sounded pretty much identical afterwards. Modern head units limit their power and range to what the speakers can handle, I'd suggest replacing that first and see if the speakers can handle them

Plenty of threads here on options

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The last 2 cars I replaced stock speakers in sounded pretty much identical afterwards. Modern head units limit their power and range to what the speakers can handle, I'd suggest replacing that first and see if the speakers can handle them

Any recommendations of head units that do a great job of that so if it doesn’t workout I can just add new speakers and not worrying that my head unit wouldn’t be able to handle the new speakers I decide to put in.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Any recommendations of head units that do a great job of that so if it doesn’t workout I can just add new speakers and not worrying that my head unit wouldn’t be able to handle the new speakers I decide to put in.
I'll be honest, it's been 15 years since I replaced one. I like good sound, but my priorities in life changed and I pretty much only listen to podcasts in my car.

I would guess any aftermarket unit would have a more full range and not be tuned to a specific speaker setup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be honest, it's been 15 years since I replaced one. I like good sound, but my priorities in life changed and I pretty much only listen to podcasts in my car.

I would guess any aftermarket unit would have a more full range and not be tuned to a specific speaker setup

Would it be possible to just add an amplifier and it would help improve? or would that be useless?

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
414 Posts
Would it be possible to just add an amplifier and it would help improve? or would that be useless?
That depends on what the issue is.

An AMP wouldn't necessarily improve what comes out of the HU nor would it improve what the speakers can handle.

Sure, an AMP can increase the power of the signal that came out of the HU, but what if you want more detail and not just "OOMPH." It could make things worse if they boost any noise too much.

Same thing for the speakers... if they're topping out without the AMP, then adding the AMP would just distort things further.

Realistically, we need someone that can test out the system, swap in parts and test some more to determine what exactly is going on or what can "improve" it. There's no easy answer until someone does this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That depends on what the issue is.

An AMP wouldn't necessarily improve what comes out of the HU nor would it improve what the speakers can handle.

Sure, an AMP can increase the power of the signal that came out of the HU, but what if you want more detail and not just "OOMPH." It could make things worse if they boost any noise too much.

Same thing for the speakers... if they're topping out without the AMP, then adding the AMP would just distort things further.

Realistically, we need someone that can test out the system, swap in parts and test some more to determine what exactly is going on or what can "improve" it. There's no easy answer until someone does this.
I would like to have a better sound improvement of more sound and base, without needing to replace the header, I like the stock header, without needing the head ache of the electrical system and software of my car

·
Registered
4 Posts
did a speaker upgrade on my 2020 sport,4 speaker,6 3/4 cs ceries kickers in doors and hs10 powered sub,between magic seats,very pleased,tons of base,550.00 bought at crutchfield

1 - 10 of 10 Posts