Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I notice that honda hrv has the "Automatic Brake Hold" as standard feature, my question is that are we allow to leave the automatic brake hold on at all times?

It would be nice if it will stay active and hold the vehicle at all time when the vehicle stop, so no need to continuously keep turning on and off the brake hold.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is from the owner's guide:

Automatic Brake Hold
Maintains rear brake hold even after the brake pedal is released. Make sure the vehicle is on and your seat belt is fastened when operating this feature.
1. Press the BRAKE HOLD button behind the shift lever. The BRAKE HOLD indicator appears in the instrument panel.
2. With the shift lever in Drive (D) or Neutral (N), press the brake pedal and come to a complete stop. The HOLD indicator appears, and brake hold is applied. Release the brake pedal.
Press the accelerator pedal (or shift into a gear and release the clutch pedal for manual transmission) to cancel brake hold and start moving.
To turn off brake hold: Press the brake pedal and press BRAKE HOLD again.
Automatic brake hold cancels when:

• Braking is applied for more than 10 minutes.

• The electric parking brake is engaged.

• The foot brake is pressed and the shift lever is moved to P or R.
• The engine stalls (manual transmission).

• The driver’s seat belt is unfastened.

• The engine is turned off.

..so I think you'll have to activate it each time, since it cancels once you hit the gas.

·
Registered
751 Posts
It's worded very ambiguously, but the way I read this if you want the feature on you only have to turn it on once per trip. Once it's on, whenever you come to a stop with your foot on the brake the 'hold' light turns on and you can lift your foot off the brake. Once you press the gas or engage the clutch the brake releases, but I think the feature stays on, so next time you stop it will activate again.

I could be wrong; as I said it's not entirely clear from the wording. But the fact that there are two lights, one to indicate the feature is set, and the other to indicate that it's currently holding, leads me to believe you don't have to re-engage it at every stop.

Just don't have the seatbelt latched behind you, engage the brake hold and climb out of the car to ask directions or take a photo, because in 10 minutes the car's leaving whether you're on board or not!

I can see this maybe being useful after half an hour in stop and go traffic if you're leg's cramping, but I've only ever had that happen with the clutch foot with a heavily-sprung clutch. Hey, how about a 'clutch hold' feature??

Anyway, can't see myself ever using this. Maybe it'll prove me wrong.

·
Registered
751 Posts
How is all this better than the simple act of depressing the brake pedal?
It's better because it has a catchy name they can put in a list of features, and sounds like high-tech automation. They can't very well say "Comes with a brake pedal... just press to stop the car and hold it in place!".

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
This is something different than the feature that keeps the car from rolling backward on hills, right? I like that idea at least.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yep, the hill start assist is (I believe) always active, and just holds the brakes on for a second when you lift your foot off, giving you time to get on the gas. At least that's how I understand it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get stuck in traffic on the highway often enough that this sounds like an absolute godsend to me. Just being able to flex my brake foot from time to time would be great. (And not having my left foot cramping from the clutch, woo.)

I can also see how this would be great for parents who need to twist around to check on their kids when they come to a stop - no risk of your foot slipping off the pedal and you hitting something when you're doing so.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I get stuck in traffic on the highway often enough that this sounds like an absolute godsend to me. Just being able to flex my brake foot from time to time would be great. (And not having my left foot cramping from the clutch, woo.)

I can also see how this would be great for parents who need to twist around to check on their kids when they come to a stop - no risk of your foot slipping off the pedal and you hitting something when you're doing so.
Well ... Unless you absentmindly remove your seat belt when you turn around - or you are stuck waiting on a train and never put it into park and 10 mins later you are moving again. Seems really weird to create a feature that can turn itself off while in use!

Also I could see a person really use to using it and they forget to turn it on - but they think it's on. Just silly things - but why not just always have it on and let the person either disable it or enable it once? Hmm. Hopefully they didn't make up rules like that for ABS, traction control or the air bags!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I tested this when I drove it at the dealer. It worked and I only pressed it once that trip, but it kept working later at a light when I stopped again.
Confirmed, my wife and I were playing with this tonight. Turned on once and it activated each time we came to a stop.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think this is one of best new features on the HR-V. Just wish it would default to the ON condition (or at least the last position just like cruise control) instead of having to activate it for every trip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's worded very ambiguously, but the way I read this if you want the feature on you only have to turn it on once per trip. Once it's on, whenever you come to a stop with your foot on the brake the 'hold' light turns on and you can lift your foot off the brake. Once you press the gas or engage the clutch the brake releases, but I think the feature stays on, so next time you stop it will activate again.

I could be wrong; as I said it's not entirely clear from the wording. But the fact that there are two lights, one to indicate the feature is set, and the other to indicate that it's currently holding, leads me to believe you don't have to re-engage it at every stop.

Just don't have the seatbelt latched behind you, engage the brake hold and climb out of the car to ask directions or take a photo, because in 10 minutes the car's leaving whether you're on board or not!

I can see this maybe being useful after half an hour in stop and go traffic if you're leg's cramping, but I've only ever had that happen with the clutch foot with a heavily-sprung clutch. Hey, how about a 'clutch hold' feature??

Anyway, can't see myself ever using this. Maybe it'll prove me wrong.
I did a search and thankfully found this thread. So, I Just want to be clear because I am still confused what it does. This "brake hold" essentially continues to apply the brake after letting go of the brake pedal and under regular driving circumstances such as at a stop light or during traffic. Is this correct?

I am sure it's useful for many, just haven't even tried it. I would have preferred AUTO for all windows, not just the driver but hey, we don't always get what we want.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
This "brake hold" essentially continues to apply the brake after letting go of the brake pedal and under regular driving circumstances such as at a stop light or during traffic. Is this correct?

I am sure it's useful for many, just haven't even tried it. I would have preferred AUTO for all windows, not just the driver but hey, we don't always get what we want.
Exactly, the brake hold is quite handy in stop and go traffic. Whether the switch is on or off, it activates if the front of the car is pointed uphill. When activated, it works on any inclination. It probably shouldn't be used when parallel parking, however.

Re auto-up for driver's window only, I suspect that is a mandated safety feature to protect from accidents with pets and kids. You can imagine the scenario with a dog with its head out the window, happily getting its ears flapped by the wind, and a paw somehow trips the up function (down is more likely, but never underestimate).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question about the brake hold feature, I totally understand how to use this feature and why and when to use it.
My question is when using this feature (Brake Hold) and the driver releases there foot off of the brake pedal does the rear brake light stay on and if so when do the rear brake light go out?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Question about the brake hold feature, I totally understand how to use this feature and why and when to use it.
My question is when using this feature (Brake Hold) and the driver releases there foot off of the brake pedal does the rear brake light stay on and if so when do the rear brake light go out?
The rear brake light stays on as long as the HOLD light on the dash is illuminated. As soon as you touch the gas pedal (or manually release the Brake Hold function), both lights go off.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts