Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I think this is one of best new features on the HR-V. Just wish it would default to the ON condition (or at least the last position just like cruise control) instead of having to activate it for every trip.
While I love this feature, I can understand why it's not on by default, as it makes parallel parking a bear when engaged. In the best of all possible worlds, it would make sense to make it a programmable setting (like the way the automatic door locks work, or the zero vs 2 second delay for the lane watch mirror).

·
Registered
3 Posts
It wold be better to have the ability to set Brake Hold as always ON when the ignition is on - so I hope they incorporate this feature in a future software update. It could then be manually disabled at the switch when parallel parking. However, it could also be an advantage when parallel parking on a steep hill into a tight space.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Auto stop and break hold

Hi everyone,

I noticed that when I have set the brake old after ignition the engine will not dis-activate the auto stop so the engine never switches off.

I checked the car manual but I either missed the info or it is not there.

I would kindly appreciate your help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think brake hold, along with the electronic parking brake itself, are very convenient and efficient features ... enjoyed on our EX-L, particularly missed on my CX-3 (which wastes a tremendous amount of space on the center console with its 1930's-style pull-up parking brake lever).

Leaving aside the manual transmission devotees, if the manufacturers would adopt electronic gear shifters (as with the Prius) and electroic parking brakes, we'd have larger and more easily accessed cup holders, cubby spaces, etc. :)

·
Registered
929 Posts
I think brake hold, along with the electronic parking brake itself, are very convenient and efficient features ... enjoyed on our EX-L, particularly missed on my CX-3 (which wastes a tremendous amount of space on the center console with its 1930's-style pull-up parking brake lever)....
Are you ALREADY starting to complain about your CX-3? ;)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Are you ALREADY starting to complain about your CX-3? ;)
Somebody forgot to tell KODO Hiroshima, in America we begin with cup holders and cubby spaces, and then add details around those ... seats, steering wheel, gearshift, accelerator, brake pedal ... stuff like that. :|

P.S. Yes, the CX-3's parking brake reminds me of my senior-in-high-school MG-TD! I presume Carreras don't have "emergency brakes" ... only parachutes!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hi everyone,

I noticed that when I have set the brake old after ignition the engine will not dis-activate the auto stop so the engine never switches off.

I checked the car manual but I either missed the info or it is not there.

I would kindly appreciate your help.

Thanks!
What market are you in? The US version doesn't have an engine stop/start feature that I know of.

Or maybe I'm not understanding what you're looking for :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use brake hold a few times a week. It works only when you are in 'D'. After you start your car you can engage the brake hold but it only works while driving in 'D' and does not turn itself off until you turn the car off or take off your seat belt.

Hope that info helps.
Cheers

·
Registered
415 Posts
I use brake hold a few times a week. It works only when you are in 'D'. After you start your car you can engage the brake hold but it only works while driving in 'D' and does not turn itself off until you turn the car off or take off your seat belt.

Hope that info helps.
Cheers
You are correct that it works as long as you are not in P or R, but brake hold works in D or N. Also, it lasts 10 minutes and then disengages itself if you are holding still that long and using the feature. It’s not intended to be set for the duration of your drive time.

Here is the page from the manual, hope that adds clarity.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
It’s not intended to be set for the duration of your drive time.
The way I understood the manual: the 10 minutes limit applies to 'holding' the brake, but the system itself can be turned on for the whole travel time.

Also, two pages later in the manual it says: 'the system turns off and the automatic parking brake is activated when: ...
... it tells me that the car remains braked.

I can only access the Hungarian manual so things might have lost in translation :) ... and I can not check it, still counting back to delivery (only about 1 week now yay !!!)

·
Registered
415 Posts
It’s definitely a useful feature and in heavy traffic I use it without hesitation. Really nice not to have to keep my foot in the brake all the time I stop and go conditions.
I have not explored its limitations, only read what the book says, which may be open to interpretation in any language.
Best of luck with your new car. You will love it, I’m sure.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I use the feature most in a drive through, be it a bank, fast food, or the like. If there is somewhere where I have to reach into my pocket to retrieve my wallet, or across the seat to grab something, having the security to know that if my foot slips off the brake I'm not going to accidentally creep into the vehicle in front of me is a blessing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi All,
I use the "brake hold" system all the time - driving in Bangkok, it is a must..!!

For a full rundown on my experience...:

I turn on the feature when I'm in the car and ready to go, or started on my trip (you can be moving when turning on or off the feature.) - just have to have the seatbelt on.
Every time I come to a complete stop, the brake hold "engages", and locks the rear wheels. The rear brake lights stay on.
Brake foot is free to move around, and just step on the gas to start moving again. (the feature is still "on" but not engaged until the next complete stop.)
When stationary with the brake hold engaged, I tried unbuckling my seatbelt without my foot on the brake, and the car's Parking brake is immediately engaged - so there are no runaways..!
You can also turn the feature off, while just driving along, just by pressing the feature button, as you would to turn it on.
Hope this clears up any doubts people still have with this great feature...!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did a search and thankfully found this thread. So, I Just want to be clear because I am still confused what it does. This "brake hold" essentially continues to apply the brake after letting go of the brake pedal and under regular driving circumstances such as at a stop light or during traffic. Is this correct?

I am sure it's useful for many, just haven't even tried it. I would have preferred AUTO for all windows, not just the driver but hey, we don't always get what we want.
You can install a pair of DEI 530T. It's a window control module that turns any power window into full auto up/down.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts