Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first time poster. I've had my HR-V EX CVT AWD for about 3 months now and for the most part it has been a very positive experience. However I have now had two incidents where my dash lights show TCS, AWD, brake system, power steering, and occasionally flashing red parking brake light. At this point, I have absolutely zero traction control, ABS or AWD. Needless to say with Canadian weather, I am livid that this car has left me without key safety features TWICE when they were desperately needed.

I took it into the dealer after the first occurrence, codes read low voltage from the battery. I had done several very short trips in -15 C weather, so I chalked it up to winter battery woes. The latest occurrence was in -5 degrees, barely below freezing, and in the middle of a very long drive (the alternator should have been more than enough to keep the battery juiced.) Scheduled service appointment again.

Any ideas on what's going on? Any others with the same issue? Any advice or comments are welcome! :)

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hello all, first time poster. I've had my HR-V EX CVT AWD for about 3 months now and for the most part it has been a very positive experience. However I have now had two incidents where my dash lights show TCS, AWD, brake system, power steering, and occasionally flashing red parking brake light. At this point, I have absolutely zero traction control, ABS or AWD. Needless to say with Canadian weather, I am livid that this car has left me without key safety features TWICE when they were desperately needed.

I took it into the dealer after the first occurrence, codes read low voltage from the battery. I had done several very short trips in -15 C weather, so I chalked it up to winter battery woes. The latest occurrence was in -5 degrees, barely below freezing, and in the middle of a very long drive (the alternator should have been more than enough to keep the battery juiced.) Scheduled service appointment again.

Any ideas on what's going on? Any others with the same issue? Any advice or comments are welcome! :)
Failed alternator?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Failed alternator?
Agree ... electronics failure with engine running points to the alternator, not the battery.

Of course, problems with the battery could also indicate the alternator
Did Celaya forget to install the accessories drive belt. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses everyone. It's odd, because the problem tends to rectify itself after about 15 minutes of city driving (despite the problem occurring for the first time during highway driving). I'll take it in tomorrow and plead with the mechanics to look at the alternator (they never seem to do anything other than "advise user to monitor repeat behaviour").

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone. It's odd, because the problem tends to rectify itself after about 15 minutes of city driving (despite the problem occurring for the first time during highway driving). I'll take it in tomorrow and plead with the mechanics to look at the alternator (they never seem to do anything other than "advise user to monitor repeat behaviour").
There have been a few reports of batteries dying after 24-72 hours, and at least one reported that his dealer traced the problem to a parasitic draw on the battery.

You might want to print out this topic and take it with you to the dealer:
Battery drains dead-- reason unknown--3rd visit to dealer

·
Registered
929 Posts
If the alternator output is, say 12.5V, then it is just enough to "run" the car and provide MINIMAL charge to the battery. Just enough charge for the battery to last a little longer.

The alternator output should be 14+V so that it can "run" the car AND provide enough input to the battery to recharge.
The low 12V output could be what is happening to you. Again only speculation on my part, but a good one.:)

·
Super Moderator
1,712 Posts
I had the same issue with electronics on my Fit few years ago. The battery failed( it was -10F) and needed a jump start. When the car finally started running most of the warning lights started flashing or on, but the car still worked. I drove home with flashing lights. The next day, the lights went away when I started the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thing that makes me doubt the battery directly being the culprit is that I've had no trouble with the engine turning over (when it's REALLY cold it can take a second or two to ignite, but the starter sounds healthy and fast).

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The thing that makes me doubt the battery directly being the culprit is that I've had no trouble with the engine turning over (when it's REALLY cold it can take a second or two to ignite, but the starter sounds healthy and fast).
That's the really weird part. With computers controlling so many functions, odd things can happen for which there is no obvious explanation. At the moment, your HR-V is a universe of one, and it looks like you are just going to have to push the dealer until the problem is resolved. Worse, since it's such an intermittent problem, the dealer is likely to say "We can't make it misbehave."

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had that too, it was cold and raining outside and the car has been parked outside in the rain for a while. it's turning over for 1-2 seconds before it ignites. first time I had it yesterday.

I had this issue on my previous CL9, and the dealer told me that it is the antenna/smatra that sometimes can read the signal a bit slower than usual. But it's normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

My wife took it into the dealer for repair. They did the exact same thing that they did last time: indicate that they pulled codes for low voltage, advised her to keep an eye on it, and sent her on her way. Since she's very nice, she left it at that.

I am getting very pissed off both with Honda and our local dealer. I had a 2012 Civic LX that drove like a charm (lost it in an accident, prompting the HR-V as a replacement), and this same dealer even replaced a fan motor well outside of warranty for free. Now? Service techs pushing my car through the revolving door, no concern at all that MY FAMILY'S SAFETY is at risk when our HR-V just decides it doesn't want to have ABS or traction control. And... seriously? Such a massive problem on a car less than 4 months old?

Extremely disappointed. Any suggestions on how to approach further would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
This is reminding me of a well-known issue with the BMW R1100RT motorcycle: In cold weather, with low battery voltage, it will throw an ABS fault code, disabling the ABS brakes; usually turning off the ignition, then restating clears it, but some times it requires an ABS reset procedure. In cold weather, this happens frequently enough that I installed a reset switch.

Computer-based control systems can be frustrating.

·
Registered
143 Posts
HI Wingnut72,
Did you ever get the low voltage issue resolved? I'm having a battery issue too and I'm on a fact finding mission. You

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update:

My wife took it into the dealer for repair. They did the exact same thing that they did last time: indicate that they pulled codes for low voltage, advised her to keep an eye on it, and sent her on her way. Since she's very nice, she left it at that.

I am getting very pissed off both with Honda and our local dealer. I had a 2012 Civic LX that drove like a charm (lost it in an accident, prompting the HR-V as a replacement), and this same dealer even replaced a fan motor well outside of warranty for free. Now? Service techs pushing my car through the revolving door, no concern at all that MY FAMILY'S SAFETY is at risk when our HR-V just decides it doesn't want to have ABS or traction control. And... seriously? Such a massive problem on a car less than 4 months old?

Extremely disappointed. Any suggestions on how to approach further would be greatly appreciated!
Hello,

Did you ever get this issue resolved? Please shed light on the fix. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same problem. Passenger rear wheel speed sensor cracked. Shuts off everything when it felt like it. Turns it into front wheel drive only with no safety features. Once they fixed it Ive never had a problem for the last 40k.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts