Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to AWD so I have to ask opinions about how Honda system will do in the snow . How does it transfer power if any of the wheels are slipping? Also, if anyone knows how often maintenance is required such as diff fluid changes.This was a rough CT winter and one of the reasons for buying the HRV is getting up my hill to get home. Past couple of years snowfall was too much for the civic. HRV is a good option as 4 x4 pickup at 20mpg does not work for me . Been there with Doge Dakota at 22 gal every 4 days with my commute. Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
AWD Expained

This is how it used to work with the old CRV and original HRV (which was available almost everywhere but North America!).
http://www.awdwiki.com/en/honda/

I owned a 1998 HRV (I'm from the UK) and found it worked well. I recently sold my 3 year old Civic and bought a 2002 HRV ready to trade when the new one is launched. Thats promised for the summer here in the UK.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Depending on where you live, the HRV may or may not be your best option. Honda HRV is not true AWD, if that's what your looking for then you might be better with the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the link.

This is how it used to work with the old CRV and original HRV (which was available almost everywhere but North America!).
http://www.awdwiki.com/en/honda/

I owned a 1998 HRV (I'm from the UK) and found it worked well. I recently sold my 3 year old Civic and bought a 2002 HRV ready to trade when the new one is launched. Thats promised for the summer here in the UK.
Great info.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Depending on where you live, the HRV may or may not be your best option. Honda HRV is not true AWD, if that's what your looking for then you might be better with the Crosstrek.
Yes this is true, even more of a reason to consider what else is in the segment and weigh out your options.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Fair point yes, but I don't think it makes much difference when trying to find a car that will make it up your driveway in snowy conditions :D;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
my 2013 crv had the differencial fluid change at approx 28,000 kms

live in harsh canadian winter zone

note-we put maybe 13,000 km's on per year which is pretty light useage

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Fair point yes, but I don't think it makes much difference when trying to find a car that will make it up your driveway in snowy conditions :D;)
What will make more of a difference is your tires. Snow tires are a dying breed in most areas with folks wanting the convenience of all season tires. My bride has a CRV with AWD that will be substantially the same as the HR-V. It does great in snow and on ice until the tires get worn. Then it is just like any other vehicle on the road.

Sure, a Jeep with lockable 4WD is probably going to go up more trails than any CRV or HRV ever will. But if your main concern is a snowy driveway, then test drive the car you're thinking about buying during a snow storm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
AWD vs FWD

For the most part, the Civics I have had the last eight years have done pretty well in bad weather - especially the last two bad winters here in western PA.
So I am still leaning toward FWD.
As I mentioned before, I do worry that the availability of any FWD trims at dealers in this part of the state will nowhere come near the AWD drive models we will see on the lots.
Go to any dealer here and look for any FWD CRVs and they just aren't there.
I guess most of the customers still want AWD.

I hope that changes with the HRV.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Well yes and no. The Crosstrek for example will perform differently than the HRV in snow given ground clearance, symmetrical vs non-symmetrical AWD, etc.
Put it to you this way, if I lived in Boston, it would be a no brainier, Crosstrek all the way. Places south of that getting less annual snowfall, the HRV would suffice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
May come down to Subaru and HRV. I could survive with FWD if not for the hills. With snow budgets tight they don't plow as often as they used to . Really going to have to see the HRV interior in person and test drive. Also Honda dealers around here act is if it is a privilege to let you buy one. They are kind of arrogant which does not sit well with me.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Also Honda dealers around here act is if it is a privilege to let you buy one. They are kind of arrogant which does not sit well with me.
. So why limit your search to the close dealers? I helped my daughter buy a Mazda 3 this summer. She saved $4K by driving 125 miles to pick up a car that she wanted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
May come down to Subaru and HRV. I could survive with FWD if not for the hills. With snow budgets tight they don't plow as often as they used to . Really going to have to see the HRV interior in person and test drive. Also Honda dealers around here act is if it is a privilege to let you buy one. They are kind of arrogant which does not sit well with me.
I am right there with you. HRV or Subaru. I am taking a break from pricing them out right now. I wish it was easier to calculate MSRP on the Subaru site. The Honda site is much easier to use.
The attitude you got at Honda is why I am driving a Honda Odyssey and not a Toyota Sienna. Toyota was nasty when I was there. Glad they were, I love my Odyssey.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I am right there with you. HRV or Subaru. I am taking a break from pricing them out right now. I wish it was easier to calculate MSRP on the Subaru site. The Honda site is much easier to use.
The attitude you got at Honda is why I am driving a Honda Odyssey and not a Toyota Sienna. Toyota was nasty when I was there. Glad they were, I love my Odyssey.
I wouldn't choose a make by the salesman you happen to talk to on a particular day.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Typical Toyota experience here as well which is why I will never purchase a Toyota, especially given all their recent recalls.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Typical Toyota experience here as well which is why I will never purchase a Toyota, especially given all their recent recalls.
You guys are cracking me up. :D
I have talked to a lot of dealers lately. Toyota people were as nice or nicer than any other dealer. I especially like the one in Phoenix who let me climb in and out of a lot of cars and left me alone and didn't bother me. He was available if I had questions.

It's OK if you don't like a make, but please lets not unfairly stereotype because of your dislike.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You guys are cracking me up. :D
I have talked to a lot of dealers lately. Toyota people were as nice or nicer than any other dealer. I especially like the one in Phoenix who let me climb in and out of a lot of cars and left me alone and didn't bother me. He was available if I had questions.

It's OK if you don't like a make, but please lets not unfairly stereotype because of your dislike.
My "Toyota Experience" with the dealers in my area is a little different, but consistent over the years and among several salespersons, definitely qualifying as a "culture" and not a specific individual's trait. They are very friendly and accommodating.
My problem is that they feel their product is superior and take that attitude to an offensive level. An example would be asking if you are cross-shopping and laughing off some of the other choices as if you were comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes. And, the prices were always MSRP+ with no negotiation. I think the product is good, perhaps not a magnitude better than the competition as they want you to believe. Would you go to a fine restaurant and want to be constantly reminded that you should expect to pay premium for the privilege of eating a clearly superior meal? Oh, and you'll be lucky if the other restaurants don't make you sick.
I don't mind someone believing in their product, but in this case, it feels rehearsed as if it were a sales tactic.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
My "Toyota Experience" with the dealers in my area is a little different, but consistent over the years and among several salespersons, definitely qualifying as a "culture" and not a specific individual's trait. They are very friendly and accommodating.
My problem is that they feel their product is superior and take that attitude to an offensive level. An example would be asking if you are cross-shopping and laughing off some of the other choices as if you were comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes. And, the prices were always MSRP+ with no negotiation. I think the product is good, perhaps not a magnitude better than the competition as they want you to believe. Would you go to a fine restaurant and want to be constantly reminded that you should expect to pay premium for the privilege of eating a clearly superior meal? Oh, and you'll be lucky if the other restaurants don't make you sick.
I don't mind someone believing in their product, but in this case, it feels rehearsed as if it were a sales tactic.

Oh I get that everywhere. that is why I seldom mention other makes when I talk to a salesman.
Since I have been mostly talking to Honda salesmen lately, I have noticed a really annoying thing they do. When I ask about the HR-V they brush off the question and ask about trade-ins, the interest rate and that you will be buying a CR-V instead. Are they trained that way? I don't know.

They treat you like you are too stupid to know what you really want.

Actually, I have found just about every make and dealer annoying , but fortunately I have found a couple of good ones. One a Toyota dealer and the other a Honda dealer.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Couldn't have explained it better myself given my experience has been identical.

Good product yes, but just as you stated, no better and some cases not as good as the competition. Time for reality check. LOL

This type of behavior is not what I experience at Honda, Subaru, etc.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts