Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 51R battery in my HRV has died and needed a jump start a few times in the last 3+ years of owning it. Just recently, the dash lights went bonkers and flashed on and off and clicked violently and wouldn't let me turn the car on or off for several seconds. I've read about this happening to others and it went away after a jump start. I figure the battery is on its last legs.

We have several threads that mention how bad and small 51R batteries are. I know many here have replaced them but it looks like most are getting replaced under warranty with another Honda battery or another 51R battery. Has anyone upgraded theirs to a bigger battery?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm interested as well, I'm going on year 3 in harsh Wisconsin weather and it already doesn't sound too enthusiastic to start. Last I looked the expensive AGM batteries actually had less CCA in this size, but that was a while ago

·
Super Moderator
1,696 Posts
Replaced the 51R in the Accord few months ago from Costco . It was $78 with 40+ months warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I searched around a bit more and found this useful thread in an Element forum and a couple more in an 8th gen Civic forum. One guy successfully upgraded the 51r in his Civic with a 35. I found a shop that sells new batteries at great prices. The person I spoke to quoted me $50 for an Interstate Mega Tron MT-35 but I'd like to try to fit a 56 in there since it's more powerful than the 35 and only slightly bigger.

This chart gives you an idea of the different battery sizes.
https://www.jegs.com/Sizecharts/bcigroup.html

The OEM 51R battery gives is rated at 410 Cold Cranking Amps. This is a short list of Interstate Mega Tron's or "MT Series" batteries that should fit.

Part Number MT-51R
Group Size 51R
Cold Cranking Amps 500
Cranking Amps 625
(RC) Min @ 25 Amp 85
Length 9 3/8
Width 5 1/8
Height 8 7/8
Weight 27.9

Part Number MT-35
Group Size 35
Cold Cranking Amps 550
Cranking Amps 690
(RC) Min @ 25 Amp 100
Length 9
Width 6 7/8
Height 8 3/4
Weight 35.7

Part Number MT-56
Group Size 56
Cold Cranking Amps 590
Cranking Amps 740
(RC) Min @ 25 Amp 95
Length 10
Width 6
Height 8 1/4
Weight 33.8

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I have owned 2 Civics and 2 accords and replace the batteries in all of them within two years. They are such a small CCA number that they work very hard. ...So whenever I get a new Honda, I drive it for about a year and a half , and then replace it with the 600 CCA interstate. They're inexpensive and they work well.

Reactions: Pclaythomas

·
Registered
869 Posts
Curiously I am 43 months into my original battery and thus far it hasn't shown any signs of deterioration. I fully expect some time this winter it will let me know it is time for a replacement, but hopefully that time is when it is parked securely in my garage and not on a frozen downtown street! I would expect that being in Colorado I'd have lower battery life than Glen in Florida, but maybe the excessive AC use trumps the cold starts?

·
Super Moderator
1,696 Posts
Curiously I am 43 months into my original battery and thus far it hasn't shown any signs of deterioration. I fully expect some time this winter it will let me know it is time for a replacement, but hopefully that time is when it is parked securely in my garage and not on a frozen downtown street! I would expect that being in Colorado I'd have lower battery life than Glen in Florida, but maybe the excessive AC use trumps the cold starts?
Actually heat is worst for battery life than cold. This is the third time I replaced the battery in the 05 accord. About 5 years life for the battery here in th Midwest.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Heat kills batteries, not cold. However, half-dead batteries are less likely to crank in the cold than when it is hot out.

I hope this makes sense. It seems contradictory but it is not.

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a similar problem with the lights flashing and unable to start the car several times a couple of mobths after buying it new. I hsd also had a problem with the CBS ( city braking system) from the outset. They said it needed a part znd ordered it. However after I could not stat my car a few times and had to leave itfor 15 min or so before being able to start it again; I took it to Honda who discovered that yhe battery cable was loose which had caused all the problems. That is a very big oversight by Honda's assembly line Q.C. It msy be something hou could have checked.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a similar problem with the lights flashing and unable to start the car several times a couple of mobths after buying it new. I hsd also had a problem with the CBS ( city braking system) from the outset. They said it needed a part znd ordered it. However after I could not stat my car a few times and had to leave itfor 15 min or so before being able to start it again; I took it to Honda who discovered that yhe battery cable was loose which had caused all the problems. That is a very big oversight by Honda's assembly line Q.C. It msy be something hou could have checked.
Thanks for the tip. I've removed and reinstalled the battery in the past so it's not a loose cable.

A few days ago, I added distilled water and charged it slowly with a battery charger I used to use on my motorcycle batteries. I'm going to wait for it to die out completely before I upgrade to most likely a group 35 battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A few days ago, I added distilled water and charged it slowly with a battery charger I used to use on my motorcycle batteries. I'm going to wait for it to die out completely before I upgrade to most likely a group 35 battery.
Seeing a recent post about the 51r reminded me of this thread. My original battery (4 years old) is still working fine since I added distilled water and charged it at 2amps for about 5-6 hours. I also leave my headlights in off mode instead of auto now.

I got the idea from another forum where someone mentioned that these smaller batteries require maintenance/charging every now and then.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Seeing a recent post about the 51r reminded me of this thread. My original battery (4 years old) is still working fine since I added distilled water and charged it at 2amps for about 5-6 hours. I also leave my headlights on off instead of auto now.

I got the idea from another forum where someone mentioned that these smaller batteries require maintenance/charging every now and then.
Might just have to do that. My 4 year anniversary is just days away.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Just remember when they fail, they don’t really give you any indication, they just go out. An interstate is only a $70 purchase, I’d replace it. My buddies civic went out at 1am in the morning, as he was coming out of a bar, not wasted but he certainly didn’t want to be hassled… The AAA cost was more than the battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,696 Posts
Seeing a recent post about the 51r reminded me of this thread. My original battery (4 years old) is still working fine since I added distilled water and charged it at 2amps for about 5-6 hours. I also leave my headlights on off instead of auto now.

I dont like the way Honda's auto light mode works. Open the locked door the lights come on before the engine starts. If the battery is marginal, on a cold day it can required a jump start.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont like the way Honda's auto light mode works. Open the locked door the lights come on before the engine starts. If the battery is marginal, on a cold day it can required a jump start.
It's supposed to be a safety feature in case you're parked in a dark street or parking lot.

·
Super Moderator
1,696 Posts
No option to turn it off. I dont know about the 2019 models? Other cars also have an option for how long the lights stay on after you parked the car. Also another safety feature.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts