Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, my battery died. Car had ~24k miles. Had just been sitting with the accessory power on for ~5 minutes (seriously).

I had noticed that my car was slower to start the past couple of weeks, and the interior lighting would dim and flicker. My fault for not double checking the battery.

Honda apparently warranties the battery for 36 months, however I had to get going so I had AAA replace it. I did keep their printout with my VIN and the output of the battery... rated 410 CCA and AAA found 72 CCA. :|

I will bring this up with Honda. I am guessing without the physical battery in hand they will be no help, but I'll update if anything happens one way or the other.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Like the title says, my battery died. Car had ~24k miles. Had just been sitting with the accessory power on for ~5 minutes (seriously).

I had noticed that my car was slower to start the past couple of weeks, and the interior lighting would dim and flicker. My fault for not double checking the battery.

Honda apparently warranties the battery for 36 months, however I had to get going so I had AAA replace it. I did keep their printout with my VIN and the output of the battery... rated 410 CCA and AAA found 72 CCA. :|

I will bring this up with Honda. I am guessing without the physical battery in hand they will be no help, but I'll update if anything happens one way or the other.
They really can't offer a warranty on a part that they don't have to turn in to Honda . That is done rarely if ever. Should have had AAA jump it and then to the dealer. The 51 series batteries are awfully small. They don't last too long in Texas heat!

Don in Austin

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They really can't offer a warranty on a part that they don't have to turn in to Honda . That is done rarely if ever. Should have had AAA jump it and then to the dealer. The 51 series batteries are awfully small. They don't last too long in Texas heat!

Don in Austin
Yeah that is what I figured. Quite frankly I wouldn't want a Honda battery replacement if they die this quick, hopefully the AAA one lasts longer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah that is what I figured. Quite frankly I wouldn't want a Honda battery replacement if they die this quick, hopefully the AAA one lasts longer.
The short life comes with the small size. As the owner of an automotive repair shop, I have nothing good to say about AAA batteries. Many are defective within a few months if not immediately after install. There is also a problem that AAA fights warranty claims when their batteries are clearly faulty. Perhaps they do better in other areas.

The original group 151 battery in my wife's Honda Fit made it four years. That is pretty good given our Texas heat. Unfortunately fitting a larger battery will require metal-working skills.

Don in Austin

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've had very good experiences with AAA batteries installed from their "battery" truck here in NY. In each case they tested the existing battery that left me stranded, found it defective, and replaced it right there and then with an appropriate one that fit the battery compartment, and had correct CCA and other specs. The terminal cables were fastened properly and the installation was done in adverse conditions (batteries never die on sunny mild days!) with competent, cheerful workers. I did this twice in the 20 years I owned a RAV4. Each of the AAA batteries installed lasted more than 6 years, trouble free. That's probably the predicted life if most batteries, 72 months. I might have saved $20 buying a battery at an auto supply venue or a gas station, but I doubt if the quality would have been equivalent.

I only speak from my own experience, not as a mechanic or repair shop owner, but I would not hesitate to use AAA to obtain a new battery right on the spot and proceed with my day confidently without more hassle. Others may have had negative impressions of AAA, but I recommend them for roadside assistance and instant battery replacement at a fair price with little delay.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've had very good experiences with AAA batteries installed from their "battery" truck here in NY. In each case they tested the existing battery that left me stranded, found it defective, and replaced it right there and then with an appropriate one that fit the battery compartment, and had correct CCA and other specs. The terminal cables were fastened properly and the installation was done in adverse conditions (batteries never die on sunny mild days!) with competent, cheerful workers. I did this twice in the 20 years I owned a RAV4. Each of the AAA batteries installed lasted more than 6 years, trouble free. That's probably the predicted life if most batteries, 72 months. I might have saved $20 buying a battery at an auto supply venue or a gas station, but I doubt if the quality would have been equivalent.

I only speak from my own experience, not as a mechanic or repair shop owner, but I would not hesitate to use AAA to obtain a new battery right on the spot and proceed with my day confidently without more hassle. Others may have had negative impressions of AAA, but I recommend them for roadside assistance and instant battery replacement at a fair price with little delay.
Climate is a HUGE factor in battery life. NY summers are not nearly as severe as here in Texas. Did you know that batteries are actually supplied with varying strength acid depending on the anticipated temperature where they will be used? I am glad the AAA battery trucks give you good service in NY. They certainly do not in Austin, Texas! Regional differences can be significant.

Don in Austin

·
Registered
408 Posts
Our winters here are very cold for sustained periods of time. Cold weather is just as likely to provide challenge to aging batteries as are your blazing summer extremes. Overall, I think the vulnerability of batteries in NY are about the same as other parts of the country, taking into account summer extremes in some places and winter severity in others.
But if it’s important to establish that AAA serves Austin poorly and Austin is a worse place to sustain a car battery than NY, I’ll concede. Lucky, lucky New Yorkers! We have better battery life conditions and better AAA battery services. It’s just our good luck. Any positive experiences should be discounted as nothing but coincidence and luck.
And better battery acid around here, too?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Our winters here are very cold for sustained periods of time. Cold weather is just as likely to provide challenge to aging batteries as are your blazing summer extremes. Overall, I think the vulnerability of batteries in NY are about the same as other parts of the country, taking into account summer extremes in some places and winter severity in others.
But if it’s important to establish that AAA serves Austin poorly and Austin is a worse place to sustain a car battery than NY, I’ll concede. Lucky, lucky New Yorkers! We have better battery life conditions and better AAA battery services. It’s just our good luck. Any positive experiences should be discounted as nothing but coincidence and luck.
And better battery acid around here, too?
I would not say "better" battery acid. But colder climates makes stronger battery acid suitable. The batteries sold here are filled with relatively weak acid such that they register borderline when tested with a hydrometer. Here in Austin, we start seeing tired batteries at about 2 years. The hybrid batteries in a Prius in central Texas typically go about 100k. In San Francisco, it is not unusual for a Prius hybrid battery to makes 300k miles in taxicab service. My stepmother had a battery in her Buick go 11 years. Cold weather will show up a weak battery in that it will not crank well in subzero temperatures, but I don't believe cold weather makes the battery weak.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is good to hear GizmoGal. I too have had no issues with AAA batteries.

I think the increased heat here in SoCal these past years killed my battery much quicker than usual. I would expect to get ar least 3 years out of one.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My brain is farting -- that is group 151 I meant to say in an earlier post.

HR-Vs have a 51R battery. It about 50% larger than the 151R that come's on a Fit. I was able to get a 51R to fit in my 07 Fit. No modding other than cutting the battery tray. It was tight but it worked. I didn't wait for the 151R to fail, as soon as the factory battery warranty was over, I replaced it. At that time Batteries Plus showed a 51R as an acceptable replacement and they installed it. They don't now, but at that time, they didn't stock a 151R

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I noticed after 2 years 7 months, during our -30 deg C (-22F) the start was seeming slow, even when plugged in.
I even heard the power click when the push button start was engaged in my EX.

I was told the warranty is 3 years, year 1 and 2 100% warranty, 50% cost in 3rd year.
The dealer did the GR8 test today, which it failed.
Brand new battery installed, they did 100% warranty, so I"m quite happy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my hrv new last april 2017. Since december i had to jump start it 8 times already!! At first i tought it was the cold weather ( -30 in montreal). But lately if i dont use it for 2 days in row ,even at -5 , it wont start the next morning. I went to the dealer after the 4th time and he told me its because i dont use it enough.....that it wouldnt do this if i used it everyday. He offered to pass a battery test but if the test showed my battery good i would need to pay 80$ and if the battery is indeed at fault i would not have to pay. I decided not to cause he seemed sure i was gonna waste my money cause i dont use it everyday. I feel extremely frustrated to have bought this car.

·
Registered
552 Posts
After having on several civics and accords , IMO, the batteries that honda uses this just aren't that strong/good. My friend has a 2015 civic EXL and he just replaced his battery for the first time this past weekend. Sudden 100% failure. In the smaller engines, the problem is they are small, therefore they work harder. On my civics , I took them out immediately and replaced them with a larger interstate battery. The smaller batteries also lead to phantom alarms when low. If you are near a powered source, like a garage, run a battery tender jr. to it, they're all of $27 on Amazon. Use it whenever the car is going to sit for longer than 3-5 days. And really start paying attention to this when the cars three years or older. Carry a jump pack with you.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Auto zone and most of the other auto parts stores can run a battery test for free for you.

That said, how far are you driving it when you do start your car? If it's shirt trips it may bit be able to charge your battery all the way. As Glen said, this is a small battery

·
Registered
13 Posts
Warranty Coverage
During the first 36 months (3 years)
of service, a defective replacement
battery will be replaced at no cost
for the battery, labor, or installation.
AFTER 2 YEARS MINE HAS DIED TOO. COULDNT EXPECT MUCH FROM A MOTORCYCLE BATTERY. GONNA EXCHANGE THIS CAR AS SOON AS I DECIDE WHAT TO GET.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Closing in on 50,000 miles with my HR-V's original battery. Still cranks like the day I drove it off the lot. Probably has to do with the fact that I drive in fairly mild weather for ~100 miles per weekday, and sometimes farther on the weekends.

I could see the battery life being an issue if the car is driven occasionally for short trips, but that goes for nearly any vehicle. The batteries in my F150 (dual group 65s) would "die" after a few days, but that's because I tended to only drive the thing a few miles every week or so. Put it on a battery tender and the problem went away.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts