Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2020 hrv which I bought new. I live in Wisconsin where we get alot of snow. I thought my hrv would handle the snow better like my old Toyota rav4 did seeing they are both AWD. I'm thinking of replacing my tires to see if that will help more with the snow this winter. What is a good all season tire for the hrv that will give me more traction in snow?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Check the "Recommended Reading" BELOW - for other threads on this subject-
LOTS of good input from actual HR-V owners that have swapped out tires for the same reason as you.

·
Registered
404 Posts
All-season tires are terrible in snow but more info is needed before anyone can make a tire recommendation.

What tires do you currently have on your AWD HRV?

Are you driving a lot in the winter?
A long commute to work every day in the winter?
Do you drive to the mountains at 5am every winter weekend before the highways are plowed?

Mostly flat city driving or mountainous rural driving?
Snow from October to April? Or just once in a while?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All-season tires are terrible in snow but more info is needed before anyone can make a tire recommendation.

What tires do you currently have on your AWD HRV?

Are you driving a lot in the winter?
A long commute to work every day in the winter?
Do you drive to the mountains at 5am every winter weekend before the highways are plowed?

Mostly flat city driving or mountainous rural driving?
Snow from October to April? Or just once in a while?
Long commute to work, snow from Oct to April, city driving, some freeway, some city streets. I was surprised how bad my hrv was in snow last winter. With my prior rav4, I was able to go through snow banks and had no traction issues. I thought getting a good pair of tires might help or I may just switch to a crv or another rav4 which sits higher up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok I’m big into this and did a ton of research on this. New category of tires is called ALL WEATHER

It’s in between an all season and snow tire

I bought Firestone Weathergrip tires, they are meant for snow (even have the 3 Peak Snow tire mountain rating) but never need to come off the vehicle for summer months. Excellent in wet and dry weather as well. Kinda crazy they make this type of tire after all these years. 65,000 mile rating and they’re pretty cheap at around $85 a tire.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Long commute to work, snow from Oct to April, city driving, some freeway, some city streets. I was surprised how bad my hrv was in snow last winter. With my prior rav4, I was able to go through snow banks and had no traction issues. I thought getting a good pair of tires might help or I may just switch to a crv or another rav4 which sits higher up.

You didn't mention which tires you currently have on your AWD HRV but likely the mild Michelin Primacy which are terrible in snow.

With that much winter/snow driving, I would recommend dedicated winter wheels and tires.
16x6.5" with 205/65R16 winter tires.
Would perform way better than an equivalent wider tire with no compromise in the winter.

Then you can run the lame summer Michelin tires in the summer only. When the Michelins are worn out, you can then run much better summer only performance tires.

Spare winter wheels and tires are not for everyone though.
Higher upfront costs, storage of 4 wheels/tires, spring/fall changeover at a tire shop if you are not able to do it in your garage.

If dedicated winter wheels/tires are not for you, then All-weather (not all-season) tires would be a good compromise solution.
As John mentioned, the Michelin Cross-Climate all-weather tires are highly rated and recommended.
There are now many all-weather tires available.
I have run Nokian all-weather tires for many years, only in the winter. We don't drive our HRV in the summer.
We do drive to the mountains nearly every w/end in the winter for skiing with our front wheel drive HRV.
I am running smaller 195/65R16 tires which are slightly too small but will fit our Acura if we every get rid of the HRV.

For all-weather tires on your 17x7.5" HRV OEM wheels, I always recommend to run a slightly taller and slightly wider 225/55R17 tire size for better handling and to better protect the HRV wheels.

Reactions: Explorer83

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ok I’m big into this and did a ton of research on this. New category of tires is called ALL WEATHER

It’s in between an all season and snow tire

I bought Firestone Weathergrip tires, they are meant for snow (even have the 3 Peak Snow tire mountain rating) but never need to come off the vehicle for summer months. Excellent in wet and dry weather as well. Kinda crazy they make this type of tire after all these years. 65,000 mile rating and they’re pretty cheap at around $85 a tire.
THIS exactly !

Allegedly they all use winter tire like tread pattern, with modern rubber compounds to get ALL WEATHER performance.

(I have 14 months on Cross Climate 2s, and cannot say enough good about them; OEM sizes too)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I snagged a set of Michelin X-Ice3's with aluminum wheels on tire rack for $850 when I got this car in 2016 and it's been the best investment. This car makes swapping easy because there is no TPMS.

I live south of Madison and work north, even with my FWD HRV I've never had an issue with snow when I have actual snow tires on. Taken many trips up to Ashland where I'm dragging the belly through drifts and it handles great

Seriously consider investing in real snow tires, WI is a state that they're useful. I figure they're cheaper than my deductible is

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also the tires I currently have on are the ones that are on the hrv when I bought it. Michelin but bad traction

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
635 Posts
Something that I experienced when I ran Cold Weather on steelies and Summer Tyres on alloys on my previous AWD vehicle, and is very rarely talked about.

You may have the appropriate tyres fitted for the weather, but it is very likely few other drivers will. This becomes apparent when stopping or slowing down in snowy and icy conditions when you are able to do so under control and in a relatively short distance. I had a few Squeaky Bum Moments when reacting to traffic lights and roundabouts, only to see the vehicles behind me approaching at speed because I had slowed down or stopped far sooner than the driver behind was expecting as they were unaware of just how good such tyres are in these conditions.

AWD was not an option in the UK so I run Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen2 which is a more winter biased All Weather Tyre and am very happy with their all year round performance.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go with the Michelin cross climate tires.

Good choice on going with the Cross Climate all-weather tires.
They are a compromise tire, not ideal in the summer, not ideal in the winter, but will be fine for both seasons.
Way better than the OEM Michelin Primacy tires.
No need to store 4 extra wheels and tires and no need for bi-annual changeovers, other than regular tire rotations.

In the linked thread below, Explorer83 went with slightly larger 225/55R17 Cross Climate tires on his HRV.
As I mentioned, they are slightly wider and slightly taller than the original 215/55R17 tires.
They will make for better on pavement handling and they look way better also.
The Cross Climate tires have a rim guard, plus the slightly wider profile will protect the wheels.

If you look closely at Explorer83's front wheel you can see it's curbed, common with nearly every HRV I see with the too small OEM 215/55R17 tires.
With the wider Cross Climate tires with rim guards, curbing will be nearly eliminated, unless my wife is driving!

Excellent technical thread on HRV tires. :)

Reactions: Explorer83

·
Registered
2019 HRV EX CVT. 1.5 Earth Dreams. Modern Steel.
32 Posts
I own a 2020 hrv which I bought new. I live in Wisconsin where we get alot of snow. I thought my hrv would handle the snow better like my old Toyota rav4 did seeing they are both AWD. I'm thinking of replacing my tires to see if that will help more with the snow this winter. What is a good all season tire for the hrv that will give me more traction in snow?
I've used Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons for several years. They transform the vehicle's ability on snow and are fine right through the year. Michelin Cross Climate 2 are also highly regarded.

·
Registered
156 Posts
We have Michelin Ice-X on dedicated winter rims. Last winter again, trucks were in the ditch, and we sailed by at speed on the interstate to the ski hill. The tires don't do the driving
for me but I have a lot of confidence in them. I got this setup to drive to Colorado and have a set of chains if it ever gets serious... but it never has for me :) for others, yes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I snagged a set of Michelin X-Ice3's with aluminum wheels on tire rack for $850 when I got this car in 2016 and it's been the best investment. This car makes swapping easy because there is no TPMS.

I live south of Madison and work north, even with my FWD HRV I've never had an issue with snow when I have actual snow tires on. Taken many trips up to Ashland where I'm dragging the belly through drifts and it handles great

Seriously consider investing in real snow tires, WI is a state that they're useful. I figure they're cheaper than my deductible is

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Oh a Honda HRV most certainly does have TPMS! Well, maybe not if it is not a US model. It is an indirect system without transmitters on the wheels. The way it works it the wheel speed sensors for the ABS do double duty. They sense that a low tire has a smaller effective diameter so turns more r's at a given speed. This is why there is a button to calibrate the system with changes of tires.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Passed 45k on my hts they have been fantastic, I'd get the at because if the more agressive sidewall for snow.

They are still the best tire in the market hands down.

I have gotten so many nails and literal pieces ripped from the tires going a little to crazy any other tires would have died long ago.

Talked to my friend at tire rack and he said they still have the highest customer satisfaction, beating the geolanders, coopers and k02s for soft roading.

·
Registered
2019 HRV EX CVT. 1.5 Earth Dreams. Modern Steel.
32 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy "a pair" of tyres. The handling characteristics of winter or all seasons' tyres are quite different and "just on the back" or "just on the front" can give very unpredictable handling. Take a look at this:
. I've used Vector 4 Seasons for years and contrary to an above opinion, I found they transformed the vehicle's ability in light/moderate snow and were a good tyre throughout the year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used toyo celsius here in the utah mountains. Great winter handling but no match to dedicaded winter nokkian.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts