Honda HR-V Forum banner

Bluetooth Controls Not Functioning (Android)

8K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  samanthastampflee 
#1 ·
My wife and I recently upgraded our phones to Google Pixel 5's, we can successfully link the phones to the car, but it seems that when we go to bluetooth in audio, we don't have any controls from the steering wheel, or on the main display (just says "no device connected"). Our Car is a 2016 HRV Ex

I was wondering if anyone else has seen or experienced this issue, and if anyone knows of a work around.

#2 ·
I just upgraded from the pixel 2xl to the 5 and noticed the same thing on my 2016! Glad I'm not crazy

I tried re-pairing, didn't help. If the November update doesn't help I'll start playing with forcing Bluetooth specs in developer options, like avrcp. Just haven't had the time to sit in the parking lot and play with it

Let me know if you figure it out!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Got it working! Enable developer options in Android, then change your Bluetooth options to this. Reboot. Took many combinations to get to this, and apparently rebooting is necessary

Annoying, but I'm guessing Honda didn't implement something in a standard way

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
This comes down to the issue every developer for mobile devices faces. Android has half the market, Apple the other half (for argument's sake). They can get it 100% right for Apple because they only have one operating system to test against. Not too difficult. But, for Android there are different flavors of the OS for every mobile device manufacturer. Android for Samsung is not the same as Android for another phone maker. They have TONS of work to do to get that 50% of the market. So, don't blame Honda. Blame Android.

#8 · (Edited)
My Pixel 3 phone started acting this way just this week. I've had the phone for 18 months and it worked flawlessly. Now it display's 'No Device Connected' on the Honda display which is false as it's connected and I can hear audio from the phone if I start a program (music or Stitcher) from the phone. The phone works over Bluetooth as I called out today to test this. I've tried deleting all Bluetooth devices on both the car and the phone and repairing but that does not solve the problem. There was an Android Phone update last week and perhaps that screwed up the Bluetooth software that interacts with the car display. Has anyone else had this problem in the last week or two?

Edit added: I'm on Android OS Ver 11

Edit 2: I just confirmed the above workaround over on the Pixel help forum: you need to change the AVRCP to either 1.4 or 1.3 from the default 1.5

#9 ·
Wow I can't believe I found this post and got it working. Thanks OP and especially thanks Phalkon30 - you guys turned my first day with my "new" (to me) 2016 HRV from a disappointment to a delight. I'll stop my Andriod Auto aftermarket deck search (...for now).

Poster who said "blame Android" - I tend to agree, although the head unit ought to provide some feedback about the AVRCP versioning. If it is handling audio and phone calls but not showing track info, why not include a prompt that says "only supports AVRCP 1.4 so we can at least do a search?

Anyway. Happy HRVer over here, thanks again folks!

#10 ·
Poster who said "blame Android" - I tend to agree, although the head unit ought to provide some feedback about the AVRCP versioning. If it is handling audio and phone calls but not showing track info, why not include a prompt that says "only supports AVRCP 1.4 so we can at least do a search?
Sure, it would be easy to blame the hardware. But consider that the hardware was probably made several years ago. The firmware, probably went gold (finalized) even longer ago than that. They put everything they knew about the standard into that head unit at the time. And now you're asking a new software update that came out years later to be supported? Highly improbable, if not impossible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.