Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Welsh roads have load of chippings, good grip etc. but deadly for the car front. Mine's a 2020 Sport turbo. I'm looking for a bonnet bib/bra/protector. I've asked my local dealer to supply and fit but no response forthcoming. I've Googled as much as I can in the UK but can only find bibs for earlier cars. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
162 Posts
Might want to have a butchers at this thread;

I find it handy to have Google Translate open when I view this forum...... :p

·
Registered
250 Posts
Might want to have a butchers at this thread;

I find it handy to have Google Translate open when I view this forum...... :p

Most times I need google translate for Hadley's "Queen's" English!

Just kidding! Canada's English is half British, half French Canadian, half American.. :)

Reactions: Hadleys Taxi

·
Registered
162 Posts
Your maths (yes, plural!) is slightly out as you omitted the French Quarter!

To the OP, you may want to check out this installation video before deciding on a Bonnet Bib;

With the amount of gritting that goes on around the Central Belt during the winter. (I have a fair recollection it was very similar when I lived in Bettws/Cwmbran for a few years), I dread to think just how much of it will gather and roll about under it. And more importantly, how you are going to remove it without damaging the paint, which is not the best when it comes to thickness compared to other brands.

Have you considered a wrap, either clear or bodycoloured? Even a decent well applied coating of wax or two will increase protection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your maths (yes, plural!) is slightly out as you omitted the French Quarter!

To the OP, you may want to check out this installation video before deciding on a Bonnet Bib;

With the amount of gritting that goes on around the Central Belt during the winter. (I have a fair recollection it was very similar when I lived in Bettws/Cwmbran for a few years), I dread to think just how much of it will gather and roll about under it. And more importantly, how you are going to remove it without damaging the paint, which is not the best when it comes to thickness compared to other brands.

Have you considered a wrap, either clear or bodycoloured? Even a decent well applied coating of wax or two will increase protection.
Thank you, Bit terrifying. Many moons ago, the ones I saw were material and about 30cms deep (bonnet front to back, full width left to right). This looks like a certain dirt trap with difficult cleaning underneath without damaging the bonnet.. Looks like I might stay away from this type. Have to keep looking.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have found these guys Cox Motor Parts to be more than helpful and although they may not sell a bonnet bib, they do tend to offer decent prices on HR-V accessories and consumables. You could always send them an email and find out if they are aware of Honda selling something like the car bra/bib, or know where you could get one.

As your vehicle is so new, you may want to consider getting a ceramic coating Gtechnique. You can check out the pro's and con's of doing this on sites such as Detailing World

Good luck with whatever route you decide to take.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I chose to go with a clear bra on my bonnet... It covers about 9-12" of the front of the hood and has been on for over 5 years. The leather bonnet covers tend to trap moisture and grit that flows off the front of the car when you wash it. The plastic ones will eventually crack and break. My 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I can't imagine that in Wales that the roads are covered in snow, ice, sand, gravel and salt but I guess it's possible.

Our roads in Western Canada are exactly that all winter and we drive a ton in the winter as we are avid skiers.

As mentioned, the clear film paint protection is best. It is pricey but it lasts a long time, is durable and no extra work to maintain.
You can get every leading edge and surface covered as we did on our HRV and our 3 other vehicles.
We got most of the HRV hood covered in clear film. Only about 3 inches left exposed at the back of the hood.
Worth every penny and it will help with resale when you move on.

I don't like the plastic hood protectors. They do trap dirt and water at the leading edge of the hood and can cause rust if you don't remove and clean under it regularly.
Many modern cars now have aluminum hoods that don't "rust" in the traditional sense but this may make a plastic hood protector a good choice.

We have an el cheapo hood bra on our HRV but we only use the bra for winter highway driving.
These provide excellent protection but you have to remove and clean them regularly.
I only recommend them for highway winter trips and after clear film protection has been installed.

Our HRV in the middle of skiing road trip last year!

Colgan does make several different front bra options for the 2016-2018 HRV's, possibly for the 2019+ also.
We have a Colgan hood bra on our Acura and Mustang. Pricey but excellent quality.

hrv colgan | eBay

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's more to do with protecting your vehicle when a gritter is in front of you, or on the opposite side of the road. My Local Authority gritter runs down my road at least twice a night if there is a threat of freezing conditions, and several times throughout the day when it is snowing or there is ice.

You can even track them and find out what roads and routes have been gritted.

You can even name them!

This is what you are trying to avoid......

·
Registered
904 Posts
Gritters? Wow, that's one I hadn't heard. The Queen's English is so different than what we speak on this side of the pond. You have rubbers on the end of your pencils, and we have them on the end of our... You ride a lift, where we take an elevator. You fancy things, we like them. Once a colleague of mine ran over during a presentation and we had to keep the crowd in their seats to get back on track. He told the audience, including two young British ladies, that they could stand and rest their fannies while I set up for my presentation. You can imagine the look on their faces, and mine, when I heard that one!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pants = underwear, and not trousers. Blinkers = indicators, lug nut = wheel nut, ad infinitum.....

Apologies to the OP for going OT, however, since bringing up the subject of different names for the same thing, I can get clarification on a few things that have me flumoxed at the moment. The main one I am struggling with that gets mentioned a lot on here is the 'serpentine' belt, is that the 'auxilary' belt? Is that something that should be replaced on the US 1.8, as it is only required to be checked every 2 years in the UK, and there is no mention of when it should be changed, although if required it is listed as being £101 for the dealer to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pants = underwear, and not trousers. Blinkers = indicators, lug nut = wheel nut, ad infinitum.....

Apologies to the OP for going OT, however, since bringing up the subject of different names for the same thing, I can get clarification on a few things that have me flumoxed at the moment. The main one I am struggling with that gets mentioned a lot on here is the 'serpentine' belt, is that the 'auxilary' belt? Is that something that should be replaced on the US 1.8, as it is only required to be checked every 2 years in the UK, and there is no mention of when it should be changed, although if required it is listed as being £101 for the dealer to do.
I did a quick Google and found this, hoppe it helps

Serpentine Belt
Serpentine Belt
A serpentine belt is a single, continuous belt used to drive multiple peripheral devices in an automotive engine, such as an alternator, power steering pump, water pump, air conditioning compressor, air pump, etc. The belt may als…

1 - 13 of 13 Posts