Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda HRV VTi LX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Out of the 3 different types of boot covers/cargo covers (as pictured) (whatever you want to call them, I can't find a consistent name for them), which do you find the most convenient and easy to use?
I have ordered the hard cover (1) directly from Honda OEM, thinking it was the soft cover version (2).

They do not even have the soft cover one available to buy brand new, I'd have to get one from a wreckers (which I had originally organised to do), but I had already rang Honda and ordered a new one because if was only $50 more after canelling my order for a soft one with the wreckers. So I ordered this from Honda thinking it was the soft cover.

The 2nd pic is the exact one from Honda, it was sent to me AFTER purchase (when i was looking into other parts) and I was told it has to be installed? I haven't picked it up yet.
The reason I didn't go for a retractable one was because I didn't want to have to drill into the car at all and because it isn't a genuine part (it's available OEM for CRV's)

The reason I wanted the soft version was because I knew it was quick and easy to remove and easy to store, even though I know it is flimsy.

From what I can find online amd this picture, it looks like the hard one doesn't lift up which I'm not happy about...

In the 3rd pic, you can see my boot as it is currently.
With the hard cover:
  • Will I be able to get access to my storage compartments with the hard cover?
  • Does it lift up when you open the boot?
  • Is it easy to take out when you want to fold the seats down?
  • Can you still have the back seats in the reclined position?

What is your feedback on your boot covers?

Hood Product Bumper Musical instrument accessory Trunk

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Trunk

View attachment 34561

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Honda HRV VTi LX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Australia, Honda OEM call it a "hard tonneau cover" and it is the only option I can get from them for a 2021 VTi lx (purchased 2nd hand just recently, so I wasn't able to choose the optional extras when purchased brand new)
What do you have pearlwhite01?

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,302 Posts
Hey!! Where did all these other answers magically appear from whilst I was typing this??

In the UK we would refer to the first image as a parcel shelf, Honda UK refer to it as a 'hard' parcel shelf;

Genuine Honda HR-V Hard Rear Parcel Shelf 2015 Onwards

The second one is referred to as the Flexible Cargo cover, in the UK it was only available on the base spec petrol - don't ask why!

The third one was not available in the UK.

I swapped the standard fit hard parcel shelf for the flexible cargo cover as I occasionally carry dogs in the boot. Coming from an estate after 10 years I got used to the retractable parcel shelf, and forgot how inconvenient the hard parcel shelf can be when carrying dogs or tall and bulky items in the boot. The flexible cover is very easy to use, though I tend to just keep it in the passenger seat back pocket.

The hard parcel shelf can be set up so that it will lift out of the way when you open the hatch, or if you detach the string connectors it will just stay in position until you lift it up. From what I remember the hard parcel shelf has a gap so that you can still recline the rear seats. It is very easy to remove, storing it is another matter!

The big question is, is your vehicle set up to accommodate the hard or flexible cover? In the UK parcel shelves are something that is expected as standard fitment since at least the 80's, however, as I have discovered whilst on here, in other markets it is an optional extra which may even require some modification to the vehicle to accommodate it.

If you have to modify your vehicle to accommodate either option, then I would look at purchasing the aftermarket retractable option which would give you the best of both worlds; it would be in place when you need it, retracted out of the way when you don't, and you don't have to worry about finding somewhere to put it or forgetting where you put it!

I do not understand why Honda did not use the retractable parcel shelf from the Civic in the HR-V!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Here is the flexible Cargo Cover in action!

Not sure if the installation of the aftermarket retractable cove is as easy as they make out in this video

As you can see from this video, the hard parcel shelf can be set up to lift up with the rear hatch

·
Registered
2021 Honda HRV VTi LX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey!! Where did all these other answers magically appear from whilst I was typing this??

In the UK we would refer to the first image as a parcel shelf, Honda UK refer to it as a 'hard' parcel shelf;

Genuine Honda HR-V Hard Rear Parcel Shelf 2015 Onwards

The second one is referred to as the Flexible Cargo cover, in the UK it was only available on the base spec petrol - don't ask why!

The third one was not available in the UK.

I swapped the standard fit hard parcel shelf for the flexible cargo cover as I occasionally carry dogs in the boot. Coming from an estate after 10 years I got used to the retractable parcel shelf, and forgot how inconvenient the hard parcel shelf can be when carrying dogs or tall and bulky items in the boot. The flexible cover is very easy to use, though I tend to just keep it in the passenger seat back pocket.

The hard parcel shelf can be set up so that it will lift out of the way when you open the hatch, or if you detach the string connectors it will just stay in position until you lift it up. From what I remember the hard parcel shelf has a gap so that you can still recline the rear seats. It is very easy to remove, storing it is another matter!

The big question is, is your vehicle set up to accommodate the hard or flexible cover? In the UK parcel shelves are something that is expected as standard fitment since at least the 80's, however, as I have discovered whilst on here, in other markets it is an optional extra which may even require some modification to the vehicle to accommodate it.

If you have to modify your vehicle to accommodate either option, then I would look at purchasing the aftermarket retractable option which would give you the best of both worlds; it would be in place when you need it, retracted out of the way when you don't, and you don't have to worry about finding somewhere to put it or forgetting where you put it!

I do not understand why Honda did not use the retractable parcel shelf from the Civic in the HR-V!!

·
Registered
2021 Honda HRV VTi LX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Automotive design Hood Grey Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Automotive design Car Vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle

Yes Hadley, I am starting to find a few things about Honda and HRV's a bit confounding! Here in Aus they have the retractable cover on the CRV also.
I cannot for the life of me get a hold of a brochure/catalogue of what options were available when the car was originally purchased in 2021 by someone else. Even though its only ome year ago! I can only get part names. I have even tried to get hold of to a Honda salesperson that was selling them back in 2020-2021, but apparently the whole system has changed and there are no "salespeople" as such anymore. Now, if you want to buy a new model, it all has to be done online. So there was literally no one in the Honda department to speak to.

No, it is not set up for the hard parcel shelf, as I only realised when the girl from Honda Parts added into a quote for other parts I am looking at that it takes half an hour to install, which will cost an extra $85 🤔

That's when it clicked it wasn't the flexible cargo cover and I rang her and found out it is the hard one. She never mentioned anything about installation when I ordered the part.

This is what mine looks like, the Australian 2021 HRV VTi LX (that's the luxury edition), but I know all versions of the 2021 are like this, and from what I gather all Aus HRV's since 2017-2021. The new model is different. So this also means Honda had discontined all add on extra accessories for anything older than a 2022.

Also, I have spoken to her since the part has arrived, she said there are no strings, only what she can see are 2 bolt like things that need to be installed. Hence why I'm worried it won't lift when the boot opens.

Like you say, the flexible one seems a lot easier... and I don't really want to drill into the car

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Honda UK have removed the online MkII accessory catalogue with the MkIII (Hybrid). However, you may find the following link useful as it lists all items that were available for the MkII. Not suggesting you buy from them, though they do state worldwide delivery!, just that you could insert the description into a search engine and see what it comes up with for your neck of the woods.

Cox Honda Online Store

The groove on either side of your boot is perfect for the flexible cargo cover, though I see Cox no longer list it on their website. Again it may be worth a punt just putting it into a search engine and see what comes up.

Couple of things I have discovered whilst having a boojie around the internet is that it would appear the US hard parcel shelf uses the same grooves as the flexible cargo cover, which would make it null and void for me;

A little searching revealed this
You could try finding the actual product online, or if you are feeling a little on the brave side, you could look at modifying the hard cover you have on order to be like this?

One thing I would add is having replaced the standard fit hard parcel shelf for the flexible cargo cover, even though Suki is carried in the back seat, my wife and I sit on the cargo step (boot lip) to put on our walking boots when taking Suki out, so we don't have any cover installed at all.

Which begs the question, do you actually require a cargo/trunk/boot cover or would you get away with using a dark coloured towel/sheet for those occasions when you wish to hide the boot contents from prying eyes?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have the hard cover (parcel shelf). It does not automatically move up and down as you open the hatch/boot. It slides into the slot that is shown in some of the pictures above. Pros - firm enough to hold some things on while you are accessing other things out of the back; slides in an out easily. Cons - is fixed and can get in the way when you need to load something taller into the boot. As a matter of practical use, I have had times when I've had to load things in that the cover got in the way of. I just slide it out and lay it agains the back seat, or where ever it happens to fit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We have no cargo cover, not in the HRV, not in the Fit.......when I bought the Fit, I bought a set of black queen sized sheets, heve obe in each car.....between the tinted windows and the sheet, you can't tell anything is there unless it sticks up really high

·
Registered
2021 Honda HRV VTi LX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the hard cover (parcel shelf). It does not automatically move up and down as you open the hatch/boot. It slides into the slot that is shown in some of the pictures above. Pros - firm enough to hold some things on while you are accessing other things out of the back; slides in an out easily. Cons - is fixed and can get in the way when you need to load something taller into the boot. As a matter of practical use, I have had times when I've had to load things in that the cover got in the way of. I just slide it out and lay it agains the back seat, or where ever it happens to fit.
Thanks for the feedback Dammit. I guess that means my storage compartments that hang off the back will be inaccessible...

·
Registered
2021 Honda HRV VTi LX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have no cargo cover, not in the HRV, not in the Fit.......when I bought the Fit, I bought a set of black queen sized sheets, heve obe in each car.....between the tinted windows and the sheet, you can't tell anything is there unless it sticks up really high
RSDX thanks for ypur feedback. I do have tinted windows, I guess I just like things to be neat and tidy. I do also live and work in an area with a lot of car break ins that tinted widows or not, the thieves will not be deterred. Great idea though!
Honda UK have removed the online MkII accessory catalogue with the MkIII (Hybrid). However, you may find the following link useful as it lists all items that were available for the MkII. Not suggesting you buy from them, though they do state worldwide delivery!, just that you could insert the description into a search engine and see what it comes up with for your neck of the woods.

Cox Honda Online Store

The groove on either side of your boot is perfect for the flexible cargo cover, though I see Cox no longer list it on their website. Again it may be worth a punt just putting it into a search engine and see what comes up.

Couple of things I have discovered whilst having a boojie around the internet is that it would appear the US hard parcel shelf uses the same grooves as the flexible cargo cover, which would make it null and void for me;

A little searching revealed this
You could try finding the actual product online, or if you are feeling a little on the brave side, you could look at modifying the hard cover you have on order to be like this?

One thing I would add is having replaced the standard fit hard parcel shelf for the flexible cargo cover, even though Suki is carried in the back seat, my wife and I sit on the cargo step (boot lip) to put on our walking boots when taking Suki out, so we don't have any cover installed at all.

Which begs the question, do you actually require a cargo/trunk/boot cover or would you get away with using a dark coloured towel/sheet for those occasions when you wish to hide the boot contents from prying eyes?
Thanks Hadley. I am definitely not brave enough to try installing a retractable one myself. As I said below, I live and work in an area where there are a lot of car break ins. I do have tinted windows, but if you look hard enough you can still see in. I actually think putting a dark sheet or towel would attract the thieves in my area, it shows there's something to hide.

There are literally no flexible parcel shelves available to buy online that will ship to Australia that I can find. There are heaps of places in the US that stock them brand new, but won't ship internationally.

I will just see how the hard cover one goes, and if I can't get used to it, I will have to source a flexible one from a wreckers yard here...

·
Registered
2021 Honda HRV VTi LX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got a reply from a OEM Honda supplier in the US. Looks like they are not legally allowed to ship overseas 😭
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S CVT 2WD Passion Red
279 Posts
Just got a reply from a OEM Honda supplier in the US. Looks like they are not legally allowed to ship overseas 😭 View attachment 34575
Contact this Australian Seller on eBay, and ask them if their hard rear cargo cover will fit 2021 HRV, or if they could try it first before you place an order.
Trim level shouldn't make any difference I would think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts