Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom took her 2017 HR-V to a dealership for a recall fix, and they said that (among other things) her rear brake light was not working. So I checked it out and, as they said, the right brake light was out, but so was the turn signal too. I pulled off the housing, and disconnected the two connectors and checked out the voltage differentials, and it was 0 all around with tail lights and turn signal on. Perhaps unrelated, I noticed that the two screws securing the rear right body panel just below the light housing were very loose - not sure what the make of that.

Anyways, I searched around online and somewhere found a brake light wiring diagram that shows that both right tail/brake light and rear right turn signal are attached to ground G503. Does anyone know how I can find out where ground attachment points are, or specifically where G503 is? Any other troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
1,508 Posts
My mom took her 2017 HR-V to a dealership for a recall fix, and they said that (among other things) her rear brake light was not working. So I checked it out and, as they said, the right brake light was out, but so was the turn signal too. I pulled off the housing, and disconnected the two connectors and checked out the voltage differentials, and it was 0 all around with tail lights and turn signal on. Perhaps unrelated, I noticed that the two screws securing the rear right body panel just below the light housing were very loose - not sure what the make of that.

Anyways, I searched around online and somewhere found a brake light wiring diagram that shows that both right tail/brake light and rear right turn signal are attached to ground G503. Does anyone know how I can find out where ground attachment points are, or specifically where G503 is? Any other troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks!
I can't help you with the wiring diagram, but have you checked the fuses?

·
Registered
97 Posts
\I was just at dealer as a fog light was out. Only had the car for 4 wks. A rodent chewed the soy based wiring. THey fixed for free and suggested moth balls under the car.
Any automaker that uses wiring that attracts rodents to chew on it should have to fix this kind of problem for free....all of them...it's not a common problem, but certainly not rare. Been lucky so far with ny Fit, found a mouse nest in the spare tire well of it, but all electrical systems seem intact...I freaked out for a minute

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any automaker that uses wiring that attracts rodents to chew on it should have to fix this kind of problem for free....all of them...it's not a common problem, but certainly not rare. Been lucky so far with ny Fit, found a mouse nest in the spare tire well of it, but all electrical systems seem intact...I freaked out for a minute
Agree but will never happen. My fix? A couple baggies with moth balls cram in engine bay on either side.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Agree... never heard the mothball tip, but then again have not yet had a varmint chew on a wire(s)... good to know, hopefully the fresh air intake wouldn't pull the mothball scent in

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
At the airport in Denver the long term parking had a horrible problem with rabbits chewing their way through people's wires. Imagine coming back from a long trip and finding your car won't start because of that!

·
Registered
97 Posts
At the airport in Denver the long term parking had a horrible problem with rabbits chewing their way through people's wires. Imagine coming back from a long trip and finding your car won't start because of that!
Wow...that's crazy...and yeah, that would stink, to put it mildly. Been lucky so far here in east TN, where there are rabbits and mice - luckily we have a 2 car garage

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow...that's crazy...and yeah, that would stink, to put it mildly. Been lucky so far here in east TN, where there are rabbits and mice - luckily we have a 2 car garage
Mice like garages. I had a mess years ago in my ceiling. Peanut butter and traps cleaned them out.

Moth balls are not smelling up inside. It is around 90 here so I should be OK. I am liking the AC in this. The Fit AC was getting a bit tired after 12 years.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah my Fit's AC isn't the best, the Kia Forte my wife drove for almost 12 years could freeze you out ....our Fit is adequate, as long as I don't leave it parked outside all day ...I worked nights, car garaged most other times, which is good because I wanted a manual transmission more than anything, the dealer only one black one, and it gets hot in spite of having the windows tinted. Love both our EX HRV and my LX Fit. Life is good at the moment

1 - 10 of 10 Posts