Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my HRV to the dealer to perform a Replacement of brake fluid (supposedly every 3 years according to maintenance schedule) and oil change.
How many ways are there to "replace brake fluid" Do all methods require bleeding of the brakes?

I ask because I watched them perform the services from afar. So they lifted the car and did the oil change. Then the car came back down.
Then the mechanic did some things under the hood... probably filled the oil. The car never went back up on the lift. At no time did I see him do anything at the wheels (eg: unscrew the brake bleeding screws)
So I am now wondering what exactly does a dealership do when the "Replace brake fluid" service is done. Is it just a top up of fluid? I hope not cause I could do that myself.

The whole job was completed in about 30 minutes which leads me to suspect the brake fluid wasn't flushed and completely replaced?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I had the dealer do mine too- wish i watched what they did now.
- i do know they do make a vacuum type machine that could possibly work from under the hood- but I don't know how that would get the fluid out of the calipers and hoses.
its quite possible they just 'turkey-bastered' the reservoir under the hood, and then filled with new - which is not a total replacement of the fluid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the dealer do mine too- wish i watched what they did now.
- i do know they do make a vacuum type machine that could possibly work from under the hood- but I don't know how that would get the fluid out of the calipers and hoses.
its quite possible they just 'turkey-bastered' the reservoir under the hood, and then filled with new - which is not a total replacement of the fluid.
Yea I've seen those on youtube but they seem to require attachment to the brake bleeding screws. I saw none of this being done.
I'm guessing I paid for nothing. It's hard to find trustworthy dealerships.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would definitely question them on this job. I did the brake fluid replacement myself and it would have taken a good hour to be correct. All tires have to be taken off to bleed from the calipers and someone has to keep replacing the fluid in the reservoir to make sure you don't suck air back in while bleeding. Its not hard, just takes time. There is quite a bit of fluid to the right rear to drain out.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,303 Posts
One option you may wish to consider.

Write down your account of what you witnessed. At the end of your account put in something to the effect of, 'I agree/disagree this is how we conduct brake fluid replacements at this dealership'. Leave space for signatures, and then make an appointment to see the Service Manager, stating you have a concern as to how a brake fluid replacement was conducted on your vehicle.

At the appointment show them what you have written down, and ask them if that is how it should be done or not. Whatever answer they give, get them to score through the incorrect response and sign and date your paperwork. If they use the dealerships stamp, even better.

If they decline to sign, then write that down on the paperwork.

If the SM states the method you witnessed is incorrect, then you have to decide what option you want to take. Get the dealership to do it properly with some form of compensation thrown in, or raise it with HUS?

If they refuse to acknowledge either way, write that down on the paperwork and raise the matter with HUS.

Not sure what your options will be if the SM agrees what you witnessed was the correct method; accept that fact, take the vehicle elsewhere for that service in the future, take it up with HUS that you are not happy with that method?

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Sport
35 Posts
This is why I take this type of service to my local garage that I trust. I purchase the parts/fluids etc from my dealership first and then bring them to my local garage and have them do the labor service. (Rear dif. and brake fluid/service changes) Far cheaper and keeps up with any warranty requirements. Your service notifications can be reset also at the same time. I have bills (parts/labor) invoices if any issues come up in the future.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I would definitely question them on this job. I did the brake fluid replacement myself and it would have taken a good hour to be correct. All tires have to be taken off to bleed from the calipers and someone has to keep replacing the fluid in the reservoir to make sure you don't suck air back in while bleeding. Its not hard, just takes time. There is quite a bit of fluid to the right rear to drain out.
i did my own brakes for years too -
if you get the HR-V on the right lift, I think it is possible to bleed with the wheels on - i think you can access the bleeder from behind and under the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One option you may wish to consider.

Write down your account of what you witnessed. At the end of your account put in something to the effect of, 'I agree/disagree this is how we conduct brake fluid replacements at this dealership'. Leave space for signatures, and then make an appointment to see the Service Manager, stating you have a concern as to how a brake fluid replacement was conducted on your vehicle.

At the appointment show them what you have written down, and ask them if that is how it should be done or not. Whatever answer they give, get them to score through the incorrect response and sign and date your paperwork. If they use the dealerships stamp, even better.

If they decline to sign, then write that down on the paperwork.

If the SM states the method you witnessed is incorrect, then you have to decide what option you want to take. Get the dealership to do it properly with some form of compensation thrown in, or raise it with HUS?

If they refuse to acknowledge either way, write that down on the paperwork and raise the matter with HUS.

Not sure what your options will be if the SM agrees what you witnessed was the correct method; accept that fact, take the vehicle elsewhere for that service in the future, take it up with HUS that you are not happy with that method?
At this point I think I will just take the loss. Even if they offered to redo the job I wouldn't trust them.
At this point they have lost me as a customer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently took my HRV to the dealer to perform a Replacement of brake fluid (supposedly every 3 years according to maintenance schedule) and oil change.
How many ways are there to "replace brake fluid" Do all methods require bleeding of the brakes?

I ask because I watched them perform the services from afar. So they lifted the car and did the oil change. Then the car came back down.
Then the mechanic did some things under the hood... probably filled the oil. The car never went back up on the lift. At no time did I see him do anything at the wheels (eg: unscrew the brake bleeding screws)
So I am now wondering what exactly does a dealership do when the "Replace brake fluid" service is done. Is it just a top up of fluid? I hope not cause I could do that myself.

The whole job was completed in about 30 minutes which leads me to suspect the brake fluid wasn't flushed and completely replaced?
Surveillance camera Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Grille Hood Automotive tire

Had my brake fluid flush on my Passport done at dealership and this is what I found when I got home. Never again
Was told they hook machine up to reservoir. No excuse for not cleaning up after either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was the brake fluid replaced? Looks a bit brownish for new brake fluid.
I didn’t think it looked changed either. I was told that they install a machine to the master cylinder to evacuate and install new fluid. Had brake fluid flushed last year on wife’s 2013 CRV at same dealership and new fluid in master cylinder looked like water (which is what new fluid looks like). The tech also didn’t make a mess. I’m thinking this tech just spilled some fluid on engine compartment so it would look like he had to have done the job.

·
Registered
HR-V 2021
42 Posts
I didn’t think it looked changed either. I was told that they install a machine to the master cylinder to evacuate and install new fluid. Had brake fluid flushed last year on wife’s 2013 CRV at same dealership and new fluid in master cylinder looked like water (which is what new fluid looks like). The tech also didn’t make a mess. I’m thinking this tech just spilled some fluid on engine compartment so it would look like he had to have done the job.
This is what I figured, you were charged for brake fluid replacement but the job wasn't done. I prefer to do it myself, this way I know it's done properly, I ask the wife to sit and pump the brake pedal...lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts