Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
The1999 - 2004 Odyssey required the removal of the glove box, some side trim, a retention bar just to get to the filter. About 8 screws plus some plastic holders. Honda charged over two hundred dollars to replace this filter. It is supposed to be changed once a year. If you don't change. it can develop a musty smell when the a/c is blowing.

Glad to see Honda have made it easy on the HRV.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
What's everyone's experience with the K&N's reusable air filters? They do have one for the HRV.
I assume you're talking about a K&N engine air filter. They don't filter.

Debunking the K&N Myth – Why OEM is Better

In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms.

Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons.

·
Administrator
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The recommended interval for the Accord that doesn't have a maintenance minder is 30K miles for normal driving. I would just do a visual inspection on the filter. You'll be surprised how much stuff got trapped in the filter in a just year. If it looked bad then replace it. I don't know if the compressed air will dislodge all the finer partials out of the filter?

·
Registered
127 Posts
It costs about $100 to get it replaced at the dealership. Saw a young lady get fleeced hard last time I was there.
I have never done this before and with the help of Einz's pictures in post #1 , it took me all of three minutes to swap out. Now that I know how to pop out the glovebox, I could probably do it in half that time. $100 to do this is a rip off.

I have owned my HRV for 14 months and 17500 miles, the filter looked pretty nasty and noticed a musty smell when turning on the A/C. I have mold allergies so yearly replacement for me since its so cheap and easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
I just checked my air filter and it looked pretty dirty with about 13K miles and 13 months of driving. Just ordered one from Amazon (Einz's link in post #1 ) and should get it in 2 days. It is surprising how easy it is to get to the air filter.

Thanks for the posts.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts