Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I remember my automotive engineering elective I took in university.
90% of engine wear occurs during startup.

If it's below 0 F or -18C, I plug in.
If you reduce the warm up time from 120 seconds to 20 seconds by having it plugged in for 2 hours, that adds to your engine life.
My 20 year old civic engine that still runs like a clock up in the Canadian north has served me well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use my block heater on my old GM all the time in winter. It really helps the engine on cold starts. I will be asking for remote start when I buy but if I can't get that I will be asking for the block heater.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I remember my automotive engineering elective I took in university.
90% of engine wear occurs during startup.

If it's below 0 F or -18C, I plug in.
If you reduce the warm up time from 120 seconds to 20 seconds by having it plugged in for 2 hours, that adds to your engine life.
My 20 year old civic engine that still runs like a clock up in the Canadian north has served me well.
Interesting comment, Dimitri. My first reaction was to think "better get one", but then I remembered we rarely go below 0 C in Nova Scotia so maybe there's no need.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Block heater

Tried to plug our 2018 hrv in this morning with temps dipping in the -30’s and can’t find the block heater! If it doesn’t have one this will be the first car ever that hasn’t had one and I’ve owned over 50!! Is this a dealer only item?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
In the states, it's an add on item- Not sure about Canada etc.
Very geography dependent. They wouldn't spend the money to put one as standard in a vehicle destined for Florida, while one in Toronto is likely to have it as standard. My recollection is the Canadians get some nice heated features like wipers and a block heater, while those south of the border don't.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Perhaps. Never bought a Chevrolet new. The six manufacturers I was referring to are Mazda, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Ford, Honda and Toyota. For sure it wasn't standard. I made some of them throw it in the sale deal.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts