Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my story. I purchased my HRV EX-L last month on Dec 24th. I was convinced to purchase the extended warranty by the finance guy, my wife and her mechanic friend. I went into the purchase beforehand telling my wife I wasn't going to get the extended warranty and she was fine with that. The finance guy did a great job convincing my wife that we needed it and everything is electronic now (LCD display, sensors, etc.) and if something breaks, we'll regret not getting the warranty. The guy said that replacing the LCD is $3,000 and it'll likely break so we might as well get it. I was still skeptical but my wife wanted piece of mind. So I agreed that if we called her mechanic friend and he agreed to get it, we would. Unfortunately, he did say get it and it was a good idea. I ended up paying $2,238 CAD ($3,020 USD) for 7 year/130,000km which I later found out was $200 above the MRSP. The warranty usually sells for $2,038 CAD.

After reading a ton of material about extended warranties and watching YouTube videos, I found that it's likely a waste of money and it's rare that the extended warranty ends up saving you money. On Honda's website, I've read that you have to go into the dealership to cancel the extended warranty which is a hassle for me because I live an hour and a half away from the dealership where we purchased the vehicle and I know they'll hassle me and try to convince me I need it.

What is the easiest way to cancel it? Can I just call Honda directly and cancel it through them? Or could I cancel it at another Honda dealership that's closer to me? I assume another dealership wouldn't care if I cancel because it doesn't affect them. Or should I keep the warranty? If so, please tell me why,

Any tips or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Glad you decided to cancel. Once you get your warranty money, put this money in a separate money account that can be used, if needed, on future car repairs.

Have you called or “internet” chatted with your dealership on how to cancel?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may be able to cancel the warranty, but it will cost you
How exactly will it cost me? It's within 60 days of purchase. According to the terms and agreement of the extended warranty, I'll get the full purchase price back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cancelled my warranty once, and only got a portion of my money back
I think you might be wrong on this one... At least in Canada, it says

"Can I cancel my Honda Plus?
Yes, within 60 days you would receive a 100% refund. After 60 days, a prorated refund, (less a $25.00 administrative fee) if the unit was written off, the vehicle was repossessed or if you and the vehicle left Canada."

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Still worth it to call to verify you have to go in, especially since you have a 3 hour round trip. Maybe they can email you the form, you fill it out, email back. Not sure the purpose of physically going in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still worth it to call to verify you have to go in, especially since you have a 3 hour round trip. Maybe they can email you the form, you fill it out, email back. Not sure the purpose of physically going in.
Yeah, I guess it doesn't hurt to call Honda Canada first then call the dealership directly. I'll see what they say. I just dread going to the dealership as I know they'll make up some excuse about the paperwork and will make me come back again or will insist on me keeping it and make up some BS charge I'll need to pay to process the paperwork.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If I recall, you just bought a 2017 EXL with 50000 km/30 000 miles.

When is the in-service date of the vehicle? The vehicle base warranties start on the in-service date of the vehicle.
When does the 7 year 130000km extended warranty start?
What is the fine print in the extended warranty? Bumper to bumper or a long list of exclusions? Restrictive conditions like all service at Honda dealer?

CarFax history? Any previous accidents or issues?
Does your 2017 EXL have all the new technology stuff? Smart cruise, backup sensors, lane change avoidance, numerous camera's, etc.
Do you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time?
Financed or paid for?
What are your technical automotive skills? Can you repair any issues yourself? If the CVT trans fails can you swap in a new trans?
Planning on modifying the HRV? Suspension, exhaust, engine mods?

More info is needed before anyone can provide a recommendation...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I recall, you just bought a 2017 EXL with 50000 km/30 000 miles.

When is the in-service date of the vehicle? The vehicle base warranties start on the in-service date of the vehicle.
When does the 7 year 130000km extended warranty start?
What is the fine print in the extended warranty? Bumper to bumper or a long list of exclusions? Restrictive conditions like all service at Honda dealer?

CarFax history? Any previous accidents or issues?
Does your 2017 EXL have all the new technology stuff? Smart cruise, backup sensors, lane change avoidance, numerous camera's, etc.
Do you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time?
Financed or paid for?
What are your technical automotive skills? Can you repair any issues yourself? If the CVT trans fails can you swap in a new trans?
Planning on modifying the HRV? Suspension, exhaust, engine mods?

More info is needed before anyone can provide a recommendation...
You are correct! 2017 EX-L, 50,000kms/30,000 miles.

In-service date is June 13, 2017. Extended warranty starts at the in-service date. So warranty is good until June 12, 2024 or 130,000kms/80,000 miles.

They guy said it's bumper to bumper except normal wear and tear stuff like brakes, etc. Apparently, it's everything here: Warranties - Coverage - New Comprehensive

Clean CarFax. The EX-L has all the bells and whistles. Navigation, Sirus XM, rear camera, side camera, keyless entry, Honda Lane Watch, Forward Collision warning, I think it has front and rear sensors too but I'm not sure of that.

Yes, I plan on keeping the car for 7-8 years until 2027-2028. I'm financing so I know I'm paying interest on the warranty as well.

My auto skills are basic. I can do an oil change, change out a broken headlight/taillight and change a flat tire but there's no way I can do a tranny swap. I might be able to change out the push button start switch too but that's about it. Wouldn't be able to change brakes or anything like that.

I'm not planning on modifying. Keeping it stock.

·
Registered
162 Posts
With an in-service date of June 2017 and 50 000km already on it, you have 5months / 10 000km of the base bumper to bumper warranty left.
The 5year/100 000km powertrain warranty has 2.5yrs/50 000km left.

So your 7 yr/130 000km extended warranty actually starts June 2020 and is actually 4 yrs/another 70 000 km whichever comes 1st.... For CAD$2200.

Another question would be how many miles do you normally put on your vehicles. How many do you think you will put on the HRV over the years?

As you have likely read on here, the HRV CVT trans is a concern. It is covered by the 5 year 100 000km powertrain warranty but with 50 000 km already on it, you could hit 100 000km in a short time.

Not an easy decision. Gather all the data, pros/cons, personal financial situation, etc, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With an in-service date of June 2017 and 50 000km already on it, you have 5months / 10 000km of the base bumper to bumper warranty left.
The 5year/100 000km powertrain warranty has 2.5yrs/50 000km left.

So your 7 yr/130 000km extended warranty actually starts June 2020 and is actually 4 yrs/another 70 000 km whichever comes 1st.... For CAD$2200.

Another question would be how many miles do you normally put on your vehicles. How many do you think you will put on the HRV over the years?

As you have likely read on here, the HRV CVT trans is a concern. It is covered by the 5 year 100 000km powertrain warranty but with 50 000 km already on it, you could hit 100 000km in a short time.

Not an easy decision. Gather all the data, pros/cons, personal financial situation, etc, etc.
Since it's Honda Certified, it's actually comes with a 7 year/160,000km powertrain warranty so the CVT tranny would be covered under the powertrain warranty I believe.

I work from home but my wife drives my car now to work as she has a convertible. I would guess between 15,000-20,000kms per year. I don't believe we'll reach the 130,000kms so if we keep the extended warranty, we're expecting it to finish in June, 2024.

I could go either way with this decision but everyone I've asked said to get it refunded. I may decide to keep it because my wife wants piece of mind and doesn't want the unexpected expense. Her mechanic even told her that I should keep it. I'm sure we'll use the extended warranty but I don't think we'll use $2,238 worth...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called Honda Canada and they said I have to go into the dealership. Then I said what if I was out of town for a month and couldn't make it to the dealership? He said it doesn't matter. He said I could try to speak to the General Manager but they would likely need me to sign documents which would need to be done in the dealership. Signing and scanning those documents won't likely be acceptable.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well, at least you tried. They probably want you in so they can try to pressure you in keeping the warranty. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, at least you tried. They probably want you in so they can try to pressure you in keeping the warranty. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
My wife is still trying to convince me to keep it but I'll let you know. I'm figuring the least I can do is go to the dealership and say I want to cancel and see if they offer me a lower price as I'll tell them price is the issue and I can buy the warranty from another dealership.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My wife is still trying to convince me to keep it but I'll let you know. I'm figuring the least I can do is go to the dealership and say I want to cancel and see if they offer me a lower price as I'll tell them price is the issue and I can buy the warranty from another dealership.
Is it really worth it to drive 3 hours round trip for a few hundred bucks? If the dealership was nice about it sure but nice stories about dealerships are few and far between.

Also.. you know best about what to do in your relationship but if I were in your shoes, I'd just keep it if she wants it.

2k is peanuts to keep the good vibes going when things go wrong.

Since the warranty is good at any Honda dealership, do you have one closer to you for when it comes time to service?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is it really worth it to drive 3 hours round trip for a few hundred bucks? If the dealership was nice about it sure but nice stories about dealerships are few and far between.

Also.. you know best about what to do in your relationship but if I were in your shoes, I'd just keep it if she wants it.

2k is peanuts to keep the good vibes going when things go wrong.

Since the warranty is good at any Honda dealership, do you have one closer to you for when it comes time to service?
Very true. A few hundred bucks might not be worth the hassle and the dealership can take advantage of my situation as they know i'm coming from far away to get there. In general, I know the warranty is a waste of money. I've read the statistics that 87% of people who buy extended warranties don't use the warranty equal to what they paid for it. And I know dealerships make A TON of money on these which is why they push for you to get it and basically talk/scare you into getting it.

BUT, I might have to bite the bullet and keep it... I told my wife all this and it had no influence on her decision. She got a warranty for her Volkswagen and only used $250 of it when she made thousands for it. She still doesn't regret it as it gives her piece of mind knowing if anything major goes wrong, we're covered. She has a convertible and got the warranty for the rooftop as it's 10k to fix/replace if it goes. I know i'll likely use some of the warranty so it won't be a total loss but I figure I'll be out on average $1,000-$1,500. I paid $2,238 for the warranty (Canadian dollars) which is about $1,700 USD. I also plan to keep the car past the warranty which gives me another reason to keep it.

Happy wife, happy life they say...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts