Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's my story. I purchased my HRV EX-L last month on Dec 24th. I was convinced to purchase the extended warranty by the finance guy, my wife and her mechanic friend. I went into the purchase beforehand telling my wife I wasn't going to get the extended warranty and she was fine with that. The finance guy did a great job convincing my wife that we needed it and everything is electronic now (LCD display, sensors, etc.) and if something breaks, we'll regret not getting the warranty. The guy said that replacing the LCD is $3,000 and it'll likely break so we might as well get it. I was still skeptical but my wife wanted piece of mind. So I agreed that if we called her mechanic friend and he agreed to get it, we would. Unfortunately, he did say get it and it was a good idea. I ended up paying $2,238 CAD ($3,020 USD) for 7 year/130,000km which I later found out was $200 above the MRSP. The warranty usually sells for $2,038 CAD.

After reading a ton of material about extended warranties and watching YouTube videos, I found that it's likely a waste of money and it's rare that the extended warranty ends up saving you money. On Honda's website, I've read that you have to go into the dealership to cancel the extended warranty which is a hassle for me because I live an hour and a half away from the dealership where we purchased the vehicle and I know they'll hassle me and try to convince me I need it.

What is the easiest way to cancel it? Can I just call Honda directly and cancel it through them? Or could I cancel it at another Honda dealership that's closer to me? I assume another dealership wouldn't care if I cancel because it doesn't affect them. Or should I keep the warranty? If so, please tell me why,

Any tips or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
If you think that is bad. Wait until after 175,000 miles. The starter will need to be replaced and then it will always have starting problems even after you replace the old starter with the new oem starter. I bought my HR-V new in December of 2017. I've taken very good care of it and even though it has 175,000 miles, it's never died on me nor had any engine/transmission issues. The engine sounds like it did the day I drove it off the lot. HOWEVER- You will run into so many battery/starter/alternator issues and good luck getting the mechanics at Honda to fix it. They will not know what to do. It will not start in hot weather after you stop somewhere, park and turn the vehicle off. It will only start Once during hot weather, and then you will have to wait for the engine to cool down before it will start again. I will never buy Honda again. Even with that said though, I love the HR-V and will keep it for a long time because of how little the maintenance is aside from the electrical issues. By the way, you can get a used HR-V head OEM Navigation unit off of ebay and then dissassemble it at home and remove the LCD and then install the LCD screen into the Nav unit that came with your vehicle, easily. I know this because I've done it. It's a seamless process. The dash panel around the nav screen just pops right out effortlessly and then there are only 3-4 easily accessible screws holding the navigation unit into place. I have spare navigation parts for my nav system in case anything ever happens. Don't be suckered into being ripped off by the dealer. These are the same guys that told me I didn't need to have my transmission fluid refilled, even though my parking stick was vibrating slightly. I filled my transmission fluid up and then bam, the vibration went away. They want you to screw yourself over for their benefit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can cancel extended warranty without going into the dealership. Also check your bill of sale. Signed me up for Gap insurance for $900. I’m covered via car insurance. I canceled that too but had to sign a document. I’m sure they could scan and send to you. This saved me $3200 total which was applied to my loan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you think that is bad. Wait until after 175,000 miles. The starter will need to be replaced and then it will always have starting problems even after you replace the old starter with the new oem starter. I bought my HR-V new in December of 2017. I've taken very good care of it and even though it has 175,000 miles, it's never died on me nor had any engine/transmission issues. The engine sounds like it did the day I drove it off the lot. HOWEVER- You will run into so many battery/starter/alternator issues and good luck getting the mechanics at Honda to fix it. They will not know what to do. It will not start in hot weather after you stop somewhere, park and turn the vehicle off. It will only start Once during hot weather, and then you will have to wait for the engine to cool down before it will start again. I will never buy Honda again. Even with that said though, I love the HR-V and will keep it for a long time because of how little the maintenance is aside from the electrical issues. By the way, you can get a used HR-V head OEM Navigation unit off of ebay and then dissassemble it at home and remove the LCD and then install the LCD screen into the Nav unit that came with your vehicle, easily. I know this because I've done it. It's a seamless process. The dash panel around the nav screen just pops right out effortlessly and then there are only 3-4 easily accessible screws holding the navigation unit into place. I have spare navigation parts for my nav system in case anything ever happens. Don't be suckered into being ripped off by the dealer. These are the same guys that told me I didn't need to have my transmission fluid refilled, even though my parking stick was vibrating slightly. I filled my transmission fluid up and then bam, the vibration went away. They want you to screw yourself over for their benefit.
Sounds like you had a horrible experience. My first Honda was my last vehicle before I got my HRV. It was a 2007 Honda Civic LX. Lasted forever. I would still have it today had it not been for the clearcoat peeling off my roof. My wife hated the way it look and wouldn't drive it because of the clearcoat damage. Had it until 223,000kms, 140,000 miles. Nothing major ever went on it. Just your regular oil change, filter and brake pads once. That's it.

The dealership I usually go to knows me and is pretty loyal especially if I go to the service advisors I know. I would have bought an HRV from them but they didn't have what I was looking for. So I know they will take care of me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You can cancel extended warranty without going into the dealership. Also check your bill of sale. Signed me up for Gap insurance for $900. I’m covered via car insurance. I canceled that too but had to sign a document. I’m sure they could scan and send to you. This saved me $3200 total which was applied to my loan.
For me, I was told I couldn't. I called Honda Canada and they verified that I needed to go into the dealership. It even says that in the paperwork. The only exception is if the general manager agrees to cancel over email which is unlikely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's my story. I purchased my HRV EX-L last month on Dec 24th. I was convinced to purchase the extended warranty by the finance guy, my wife and her mechanic friend. I went into the purchase beforehand telling my wife I wasn't going to get the extended warranty and she was fine with that. The finance guy did a great job convincing my wife that we needed it and everything is electronic now (LCD display, sensors, etc.) and if something breaks, we'll regret not getting the warranty. The guy said that replacing the LCD is $3,000 and it'll likely break so we might as well get it. I was still skeptical but my wife wanted piece of mind. So I agreed that if we called her mechanic friend and he agreed to get it, we would. Unfortunately, he did say get it and it was a good idea. I ended up paying $2,238 CAD ($3,020 USD) for 7 year/130,000km which I later found out was $200 above the MRSP. The warranty usually sells for $2,038 CAD.

After reading a ton of material about extended warranties and watching YouTube videos, I found that it's likely a waste of money and it's rare that the extended warranty ends up saving you money. On Honda's website, I've read that you have to go into the dealership to cancel the extended warranty which is a hassle for me because I live an hour and a half away from the dealership where we purchased the vehicle and I know they'll hassle me and try to convince me I need it.

What is the easiest way to cancel it? Can I just call Honda directly and cancel it through them? Or could I cancel it at another Honda dealership that's closer to me? I assume another dealership wouldn't care if I cancel because it doesn't affect them. Or should I keep the warranty? If so, please tell me why,

Any tips or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I have the extended warranty. My CVT transmission went out with only 42000 miles. I have my vehicle serviced when it is due. The CVT transmission is a joke. Without the warranty it would have been $ 7200.00 After the replacement I received a additional 35000 miles warranty on the transmission

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
The powertrain warranty is 5 year/50k miles for new car. Your CVT would have been covered without extended warranty

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I first bought my hrv I bought a Zurich extended warranty for $2200.

What I didn’t realize is that this wasn’t Honda’s “Honda care” warranty.
Instead this was a third party warranty plan. Most dealers make profit from selling you crappy third party warranties instead of selling you Honda care.

Anyway I went online and checked some reviews on 3rd party warranties like the Zurich I had purchased.
It turns out Most of These third party warranty companies actually deny warranty claims much much more than they actually approve them and pay for them.

So about 3 months after purchasing the car I went in and canceled my warranty plan. The dealer will beg you not to cancel and they will delay submitting your paperwork.

About 2 months later I ended up getting back about $2000 of the $2200 I had originally paid. Which I put straight towards my payment.

If you bought a third party warranty plan I would cancel it immediately and use that money for payments or save it for repairs.

If you really can’t be without a warranty Honda care Is cheaper and much better from what I hear. You can still purchase Honda care even after you’ve left the dealer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you want a Honda Care, buy it from College Hills Honda or other dealers who sell them online. SAVE HUNDREDS. I once cancelled a Honda Care purchased from College Hills when I traded the car. I sent them my bill of sale and odometer statement, got my check within a week. When I bought my HR-V, I knew I would be buying a Honda Care from College Hills. I offered to let my dealer match their price, they don't even sell Honda Care, they have some crappy 3rd party plan. I think I paid about $1100 for 8 yrs /120 K miles. Due to complaints from other dealers, College Hills (and others) are not permitted to put their prices on line. Honda Care Program Wooster OH | Orrville | Ashland | Vehicle Coverage

21 - 30 of 30 Posts