Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse me if this was already posted in the flood of other reviews and I missed it, but here is Car and Driver's review of the manual transmission EX HR-V. Note: This is Car and Driver, and they're not praising the manual as you would expect from an enthusiast car magazine.

" but this particular stick shift doesn’t live up to the greatness we’ve often trumpeted in Honda vehicles"

"More Power, But Not Enough Power"

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-honda-hr-v-fwd-manual-instrumented-test-review

·
Registered
738 Posts
Noticed that they ranked the Mazda CX-3, Nissan Juke, and Jeep Renegade higher than the Honda :eek:
Noticed that but it doesn't matter to me too much since at the end i'll have to evaluate all of them for my own needs and wants.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Noticed that they ranked the Mazda CX-3, Nissan Juke, and Jeep Renegade higher than the Honda :eek:

The CX3 is "really" cool looking but look at videos showing the rear seat legroom ...I couldn't do that to my friends :) . But that CX3 has some sexy body lines to it for sure and the interior looks really cool....

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Impressive Handling!

Thanks for posting...found this to be impressive:

"Wider and stickier tires help the HR-V achieve 0.85 g of lateral grip on the skidpad, well above the Fit’s 0.78 g. On the road, the HR-V corners with a precision and balance that suggests the work was done by an engineer who cared more than the job required. That is, compared to a segment that allows wide latitude for body roll, understeer, and general chassis apathy, the HR-V feels like a Volkswagen GTI of sorts. This little Honda has mastered body control, whether you’re talking about handling or ride quality. It invokes some of the best Hondas, with ride quality that will be appreciated by the everyman and handling that can be enjoyed by enthusiasts. That’s why the HR-V, like the Fit, is one of the best Hondas on sale today."

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Sounds like Honda totally botched the Manual even though they were capable of doing better. :|
Continuing to keep my options open.

"We relish the control and involvement of choosing our own gears, but this particular stick shift doesn’t live up to the greatness we’ve often trumpeted in Honda vehicles. The throws are looser and the precision lacking compared with the firm, quick action that Honda has captured in other cars."

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Saving The Best For Last...Handling Exceeding Expectations...

But you left out the first two sentences which were the most important part: (glass half empty or half full?) ;) :D

"While the HR-V competes in the popular and growing subcompact-crossover segment, you can expect versions equipped like this specific test car to be rare. Most HR-Vs will come with the CVT gearbox rather than the six-speed manual we drove."

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
But you left out the first two sentences which were the most important part: (glass half empty or half full?) ;) :D

"While the HR-V competes in the popular and growing subcompact-crossover segment, you can expect versions equipped like this specific test car to be rare. Most HR-Vs will come with the CVT gearbox rather than the six-speed manual we drove."

So you are saying Honda didn't botch their Manual? Or are you saying since most people will buy a CVT it doesn't matter if they make a bad Manual?

Hurray for Honda!

·
Registered
290 Posts
The many HRV reviews, saying so many different things, have frankly worn me out. I've now heard that the HRV is great, and that it's not great. That the manual stinks. That the manual is great. That the CVT stinks. That the CVT is great. That the HRV is noisy. That's it's amazingly quiet. That is has enough power to feel sprightly. That it's so under-powered it can't get out of its own way.

Praise the automotive gods, we'll all get to decide for ourselves soon.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
The many HRV reviews, saying so many different things, have frankly worn me out. I've now heard that the HRV is great, and that it's not great. That the manual stinks. That the manual is great. That the CVT stinks. That the CVT is great. That the HRV is noisy. That's it's amazingly quiet. That is has enough power to feel sprightly. That it's so under-powered it can't get out of its own way.

Amen and Alleluia!

You have just won best post award!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Sounds like Honda totally botched the Manual even though they were capable of doing better. :|
Continuing to keep my options open.

"We relish the control and involvement of choosing our own gears, but this particular stick shift doesn’t live up to the greatness we’ve often trumpeted in Honda vehicles. The throws are looser and the precision lacking compared with the firm, quick action that Honda has captured in other cars."
This review, and a couple like it, have me a bit worried about the manual. Another characteristic I read in a couple of reviews, and picked up for myself in the (I think) alexonautos video, is a tendency for the throttle to hang high when shifting. I've driven cars like that, and it can be very annoying.

Still keeping fingers crossed and an open mind, till I drive it myself.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Something for everyone. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Y same here - your head can spin - make your own judgements during your test drive ,,,,,reviews have been wishy washy on the following subjects ,,,,,,

1.) Power adequate to slouch

2.) Cabin-road noise - noisy to quiet

3.) Suspension ...earlier overseas reviews said it was too soft - one recently said just right to the firm side ??? Maybe they changed spring rates for the us markets based on feedback from abroad ?

Its hilarious I haven't heard one review comment on the sound system quality .....4 speakers vs 6 etc .

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
You might want to post what the print Car and Driver article says about the CVT! Yikes!

"CVT conspires against a good launch, and the engine racket is as intrusive and annoying as a sit-com mother in law."

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Agree. Like it then buy it, if don't the don't cause someone else will. ;)

Y same here - your head can spin - make your own judgements during your test drive ,,,,,reviews have been wishy washy on the following subjects ,,,,,,

1.) Power adequate to slouch

2.) Cabin-road noise - noisy to quiet

3.) Suspension ...earlier overseas reviews said it was too soft - one recently said just right to the firm side ??? Maybe they changed spring rates for the us markets based on feedback from abroad ?

Its hilarious I haven't heard one review comment on the sound system quality .....4 speakers vs 6 etc .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Soon enough we will be able to make our own decisions. Next week its a drive to the deanship in Santa Rosa for hopefully a test drive. I will take both the CVT and Manual out on 101 and see what happens.

It can't be any noisier than my fit. It's loud in the cabin and a bit rough on bumpy roads. I do like the torque on the fit it has nice acceleration. When I traded in the 94 Civic SI for the fit the drive was nowhere near the fun of the SI. Still, for what I use the Fit for it works well. Although I got better mileage in the SI Hatch.

No roof rails on the EX/manual. Bummer.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Looking forward to your review, Joemtns (and everyone else). Couple months yet before they're supposed to arrive in Canada (July 10). I'm especially interested in feedback on the manual tranny.

I had a 93 civic si hatch; looooved it! Traded it for a VW Vanagon (don't ask... actually, liked that too, in a very different way), then my current 2003 Acura EL, which was a candian-only acurized civic. Also a good car, still an engaging drive (manual, of course), but not quite as much fun as the si or my 88 crx si. I don't expect ever to find that again, and certainly not in the HRV, but I do hope it's still enjoyable to drive in its own way.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Looking forward to your review, Joemtns (and everyone else). Couple months yet before they're supposed to arrive in Canada (July 10). I'm especially interested in feedback on the manual tranny.

I had a 93 civic si hatch; looooved it! Traded it for a VW Vanagon (don't ask... actually, liked that too, in a very different way), then my current 2003 Acura EL, which was a candian-only acurized civic. Also a good car, still an engaging drive (manual, of course), but not quite as much fun as the si or my 88 crx si. I don't expect ever to find that again, and certainly not in the HRV, but I do hope it's still enjoyable to drive in its own way.
I also owned an 88 CRX SI. Also an 86. Of the 20 or 25 cars I have owned over the years the 88 is the one I want back, deafening road noise and all. Wonderful precise manual steering. Cars will never be light enough for that again. Not fast, but seemed to love being thrashed. All controls perfectly weighted and balanced. Race car engine noises. Such a car is no longer available and car nuts everywhere are poorer for it. Probably would have crumpled like a beer can in a crash, but it was worth the risk.:crying:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts