Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I want to coat my 2021 EX battery connectors so that they don't corrode. I want to disconnect them so that I can thoroughly coat all sides of the connectors, but I heard that if you don't use a memory saver (which I dont have) that some cars will not only lose the system saved memory stuff such as radio stations, but some cars power windows will no longer function either.

Anyone have experience as to what memory actually gets lost when the battery is disconnected? Will the power windows and stuff still work after the memory gets lost?

Oh, and does anyone know what all those boxes and extra cables and connectors are that attach to the battery connectors? I was gonna use the NOCO battery corrosion protection spray, but I'm not sure if those other stuff would be damaged by the spray.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I beleive the only thing that needs reset after a battery disconnect is the radio. They are made that way in so that they will not work if stolen. You should have been given a radio code in your paperwork somewhere. You can use motor oil on the terminals to prevent corrosion without disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
235 Posts
We use the old-school corrosion inhibitor axle grease to protect battery terminals from corrosion. 🤗 No need to disassemble anything.

Your questions are answered in the COMPLETE 600-page Owners manual (not the Quick-Start guide that came with the car).
Page 560 in our '19's manual.

Battery

Checking the Battery

The condition of the battery is monitored by a sensor located on the negative
terminal of the battery. If there is a problem with this sensor, the information
display*/multi-information display* will display a warning message. If this happens,
have your vehicle inspected by a dealer.

Check the battery terminals for corrosion monthly.

If your vehicle’s battery is disconnected or goes dead:
• The audio system is disabled.​
> Audio System Theft Protection P. 226​
• The clock resets.​
> Clock P. 132​

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Thanks for the info all!

I think I'll look into using one of the grease options and just leave the terminals on when I coat them. Seems the easiest way.

·
Registered
2020 HR-V LX Modern Steel Metallic
17 Posts
I just had my battery disconnected today because I was swapping out the steering wheel. The radio remembered all my stations and my bluetooth connections, but for some reason I had to reset the clock.

·
Registered
2021 HRV-LX
8 Posts
I just had my battery disconnected today because I was swapping out the steering wheel. The radio remembered all my stations and my bluetooth connections, but for some reason I had to reset the clock.
I think Honda must have updated this because this is the first time I didn't get a radio code as I did for my 2000, 2007 and 2014 CRVs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up just using some of that battery grease stuff from auto zone. Didn't bother disconnecting. But from hearing your guys experience, I'm not as afraid to disconnect it now if I need to clean it or replace it. 😄✌

·
Registered
408 Posts
I use the felt washers. I replace them when I replace a battery. No corrosion at all. I've never had a problem disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You actually don't want to grease up the battery posts and the inside of the battery terminal connectors.
You want those clean and dry for optimum contact, optimum conductivity and optimum friction so they don't come loose.

If you grease up the posts, you may end up overtightening the clamps to keep them tight.
Those clamps can easily be damaged from overtightening.
If the posts and terminals are clean and dry, it doesn't take much torque on the bolts to keep them tight.

Some generic chassis greases can deteriorate and cause corrosion when on battery posts.
A very light coat of clear or translucent conductive grease, just on the exterior of the battery connectors is all you need.

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You actually don't want to grease up the battery posts and the inside of the battery terminal connectors.
You want those clean and dry for optimum contact, optimum conductivity and optimum friction so they don't come loose.

If you grease up the posts, you may end up overtightening the clamps to keep them tight.
Those clamps can easily be damaged from overtightening.
If the posts and terminals are clean and dry, it doesn't take much torque on the bolts to keep them tight.

Some generic chassis greases can deteriorate and cause corrosion when on battery posts.
A very light coat of clear or translucent conductive grease, just on the exterior of the battery connectors is all you need.

It seems my worry of battery memory loss worked out in the end. lol. I only coated the outer part lightly so I should still have good connections. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Just had my battery replaced and no loss of radio presets or Bluetooth settings. Old battery still tested okay but thought four years was a good run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts