Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have had a problem starting my 2017 HR-V (23 K miles).
When I push the start button, I hear a few beeps & see a red flashing light in the lower left of the dash ( I think it is the security light). The brake also will not depress. I wait a few minutes and then it will start. Could it be my car battery? I've had the car since November 2017. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Recently I have had a problem starting my 2017 HR-V (23 K miles).
When I push the start button, I hear a few beeps & see a red flashing light in the lower left of the dash ( I think it is the security light). The brake also will not depress. I wait a few minutes and then it will start. Could it be my car battery? I've had the car since November 2017. Thanks
Hi, a battery test would be my first choice. If that is OK, I would suggest removing the starter button and spraying the contacts with WD40 contact cleaner. Other sites will tell you how to do this, but it easy, simple and quick. Worked for me. Good Luck.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - 2 years and 4 month seems a bit early for the battery to be going, but it seems with all the electronics on the car and the tiny battery- this might be the case given what I've read about battery failure. Will bring it to Auto Zone.

·
Registered
98 Posts
2 years and 4 months is when the key FOB battery dies. I had the same issue you describe and a new CR 2032 FOB battery fixed it. Try your other FOB to see if that one works normally to start it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My key FOB battery died about 2 month ago so I replaced it- this must be the car battery since there is no key indicator on the dash as before.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It will be 5 yrs this Sept. for me. I'm getting antsy about it too! Its kept in a heated garage and only gets driven maybe 10k k/m a yr. I have a 2nd vehicle in case it dies, hopefully in the garage,lol. I'll prolly wait and take my chances.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5 years is a good long time for a battery to last- mine is not even 2 1/2 years old, but I have forgotten and left one of the overhead lights on overnight a few times.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to Autozone and they tested the battery- it was bad- not holding a charge. Yikes needed a new battery at 2 yrs and 4 months. Do I hold the record for shortest battery life??? LOL

·
Registered
98 Posts
For everyone with car starting and/or battery issues, you would save time, money and frustration by purchasing a basic voltmeter and adding some in-cab gauges.
A voltmeter will eliminate guessing if you have a battery voltage issue...

I recommend the Scangauge since it has numerous other functions but there are cheap 12V cigarette lighter voltmeters available everywhere..

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thought my car battery was the problem- had it checked at AutoZone- they said it was not holding a charge, got it replaced. Now It think the whole problem is the push start button. I put my foot on the brake and all I hear is a set of three beeps and a green light flashes on the start button. I can't even get the car into accessory mode. My key fob battery was replaced 2 months ago, so I doubt it is that.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Battery terminals are clean and have some conductive gel (something like vasoline on them) This is sporadic and only happens once in a while, but began happening the past month--my car just rolled over 24K. Usually if I wait 10 mins or so , the car will start as normal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thought my car battery was the problem- had it checked at AutoZone- they said it was not holding a charge, got it replaced. Now It think the whole problem is the push start button. I put my foot on the brake and all I hear is a set of three beeps and a green light flashes on the start button. I can't even get the car into accessory mode. My key fob battery was replaced 2 months ago, so I doubt it is that.
I recomend to give it a try change the battery in key fob,once my was dead less then a week.I changed and its ok.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recomend to give it a try change the battery in key fob,once my was dead less then a week.I changed and its ok.
It happend yesterday the car didnt recognized my key fob i must put it close to start stop button than it started .After that it worked ok.Today i changed the battery in key fob and measured the old one and it was 3.1V so it didnt need to be changed so i think outside was freezing(-6) yesterday and the key fob was in my upper pocket ,i walked to my car about 6 minute so it was enough for battery to go low just like your phone battery when its cold.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts