Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want use a cell phone mount/cradle for my iPhone 6. And was wondering what everybody is using for a mount. Went to Amazon and there must be 1000s of choices.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Mostly interested in a non windshield mount only because the HRV windshield is raked. But have an opened mind. I like the mounts that sit on top of the dashboard but not sure about the effectiveness of the suction cup given the textured surface and its effect on the dashboard. Some of the reviews talked about ruining the dashboard due to the suction cup effect.

Some provide an adhesive mounting disk that is "taped" to the dashboard to provide a smooth firm surface for the suction cup. However not sure if this will ruin the dashboard if later I need to remove the disk. Again that was a problem according to some reviews.

I also saw some mounts that plug into the CD player. However these will block the top of the screen in my EXL HRV.

Can you please let me know what you are using and how well it is working? Stability, vibration, accessibility...

·
Registered
252 Posts
I want use a cell phone mount/cradle for my iPhone 6. And was wondering what everybody is using for a mount. Went to Amazon and there must be 1000s of choices.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Mostly interested in a non windshield mount only because the HRV windshield is raked. But have an opened mind. I like the mounts that sit on top of the dashboard but not sure about the effectiveness of the suction cup given the textured surface and its effect on the dashboard. Some of the reviews talked about ruining the dashboard due to the suction cup effect.

Some provide an adhesive mounting disk that is "taped" to the dashboard to provide a smooth firm surface for the suction cup. However not sure if this will ruin the dashboard if later I need to remove the disk. Again that was a problem according to some reviews.

I also saw some mounts that plug into the CD player. However these will block the top of the screen in my EXL HRV.

Can you please let me know what you are using and how well it is working? Stability, vibration, accessibility...
I have used a "sticky pad" dashboard adapter for my GPS which is on a beanbag mount. It keeps the beanbag from sliding around and is quite effective. Does not leave any residue on the dashboard since it is not a suction cup. It should also work in combination with a phone cradle. I think I bought it from Meritline.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've used this iOttie. Works well and suction cup holds super strong to your dash or whatever you stick it to. Very versatile and the way the phone goes in/out is very good too.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The mountek doesnt block too much of the upper screen
I tried a Mountek for a Garmin Nuvi, and while it didn't block the screen (the unit can be mounted so that the ball is up or down), I found it too far to the right for my taste, and it jiggled a little over bumps. A Garmin friction mount with a soft, flexible base now sits on the dash, low enough that it's not blocking my view, and close enough to reach easily while driving. Similar mounts must be available for cell phones. This design is very, very stable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That flexible friction mount looks great. I'm looking for a mount for my GPS. I noticed a lot of reviews on Amazon complaining that it leaves a residue on the dash that cannot be removed. Have you had any problems like that? How long have you used this? Thanks!

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my HR-V EX!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great input.

Looks like many chose the CD Slot based holders.
Looked on Amazon and found this CD mount. Looks good and is 100% out-of-the-way.

On the other hand, on-the-dash friction mount seems practical. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Any other options?

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm in a bit of a conundrum with mounting a Garmin GPS and a dash cam but I went ahead anyways and mounted the GPS low just above the dash with the supplied suction cup. The cable I dangle a little to the left coming down by the air vent. If the cable dangles over the entertainment screen the pressure of the cable is enough to change channels, etc. To do a clean mount of the GPS cable would require routing through the A pillars (if I mount it high near the rear view mirror). Depending on how they are routed there is the possibility of interference with the curtain air bag mounted in the A pillar. The dash cam which I have not permanently mounted would route down the side of the other A pillar. Hopefully anything mounted in the center of the dash or the low center position GPS mount on the glass will not interfere with the driver or passenger air bag deployment.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm in a bit of a conundrum with mounting a Garmin GPS and a dash cam but I went ahead anyways and mounted the GPS low just above the dash with the supplied suction cup. The cable I dangle a little to the left coming down by the air vent. If the cable dangles over the entertainment screen the pressure of the cable is enough to change channels, etc. To do a clean mount of the GPS cable would require routing through the A pillars (if I mount it high near the rear view mirror). Depending on how they are routed there is the possibility of interference with the curtain air bag mounted in the A pillar. The dash cam which I have not permanently mounted would route down the side of the other A pillar. Hopefully anything mounted in the center of the dash or the low center position GPS mount on the glass will not interfere with the driver or passenger air bag deployment.
I will be installing an aux power port at the lower left corner of the windshield where it meets the dash and will plug the Garmin in there using the friction mount. That keeps it visible but out of the way and avoids dangling wires. My radar detector is on top of the rear view mirror and I will be running the power up the driver's side A pillar and over the top of the windshield. That is where the factory remote start antenna is mounted so I don't think there is a problem with the air bag.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
That flexible friction mount looks great. I'm looking for a mount for my GPS. I noticed a lot of reviews on Amazon complaining that it leaves a residue on the dash that cannot be removed. Have you had any problems like that? How long have you used this? Thanks!
Not a trace of residue after 4 weeks. I cleaned the area where the mount would go with isopropyl alcohol before putting it in place. The bottom of the Garmin mount isn't an adhesive, just a very soft polymer of some sort; some of the Amazon reviews said that it can collect dust and lose its grip, but since I never remove it from the dash, that hasn't been my experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Google "Roadster Smartphone Sticky Dash Mount"

(sorry this is my first post and it's on my phone and I can't figure out how to paste the link so I apologize)

It's only $6, and it's simple enough for me to keep on the dash. I haven't received my HR-V yet to see how it'll work on the dashboard but I love it.

I have used this item (previously purchased from groupon) almost daily for years. I do recommend not keeping it in the heat because as reviews say on Amazon, it does melt. Although I've used it several summers before, it wasn't until this summer until it started to melt but it only made my screen "sticky "

·
Registered
454 Posts
I like it. How is it attached?
Works quit well......very solid.
I ran the wire along the side panel then down under the dash.
With a small black strip of Gorilla tape you can barely see the wire and only with the door open.

You still get air out of the bottom part of the vent and can open/close it. Won't be able to adjust the direction much though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good evening everyone. Google search a company called Kenu. I believe the website is www.kenu.com they make a model called the Airframe. This is a mount that fits firmly on your air vent. It will should not damage the vent. My cousin happens to be the VP of design for Kenu and gave me a couple of them when he was in town for a visit. 1 for myself and the other for my girlfriend. Pretty nice, the product got some decent reviews and I think there was a review on CNET. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts