Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will second the Kenu Airframe product, and I don't know anyone who works for them! Found it a couple of years ago at the Apple Store, and loved it so much, I bought 2 more for family members for Xmas that year. The reason I love the Kenu Airframe is that it is barely visible (no clunky mounts or arms), holds the phone perfectly without vibrations on bumpy roads, and is tiny so it can be easily taken with you on a trip for use in a different car. Plus all phone ports and buttons remain exposed for use.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Kenu airframe all the way! I have one in my HR-V, on the very top of the vent to the left of the touchscreen. Blends in great with the black, very low-profile and unobtrusive. If you use bigger phones (phablets, iphone 6plus, etc), get the airframe+

Amazon is selling them for around $30, but I got mine new in box from ebay for around $15.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In my previous car (Honda Fit) and in my HR-V until I find a better option, I use the Mountek nGroove CD slot holder that has a magnetic pad that holds the metal plate on my phone case.

This works great except that it slightly covers the touchscreen in the HR-V as others have stated.

However, the ball and socket on the Mountek is the same size as the ball and socket on Garmin mounts (17mm). So, I could buy something like a Garmin vent mount, Garmin dash mount, or add something like this Garmin-to-RAM adaptor to a RAM mount and snap the head of the Mountek onto it and be good togo.

http://www.arkon.com/product/SP25MM17-25mm-ball-17mm-ball-adapter.html

Now I just have to find the best option for me. I like the Frankenmount idea posted by mahst68, but it's a little pricy for my taste. I have an older Garmin beanbag dash mount, but it has lost it's ability to stay still on the dash and slides when I turn.

·
Registered
252 Posts
In my previous car (Honda Fit) and in my HR-V until I find a better option, I use the Mountek nGroove CD slot holder that has a magnetic pad that holds the metal plate on my phone case.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tek ngroove&qid=1449235495&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

This works great except that it slightly covers the touchscreen in the HR-V as others have stated.

However, the ball and socket on the Mountek is the same size as the ball and socket on Garmin mounts (17mm). So, I could buy something like a Garmin vent mount, Garmin dash mount, or add something like this Garmin-to-RAM adaptor to a RAM mount and snap the head of the Mountek onto it and be good togo.

http://www.arkon.com/product/SP25MM17-25mm-ball-17mm-ball-adapter.html

Now I just have to find the best option for me. I like the Frankenmount idea posted by mahst68, but it's a little pricy for my taste. I have an older Garmin beanbag dash mount, but it has lost it's ability to stay still on the dash and slides when I turn.
I also have the Garmin beanbag mount and use it mostly on my other cars. On my HR-V I mounted the Garmin using their vent mount next to the radio. The best solution to solve the sliding problem is to put a "sticky pad" under the beanbag base. These sticky pads are available from Meritline and other places and are also used under area rugs. They are thin flexible silicone rectangles that are sticky on both sides but do not leave any residue and work very well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just found the perfect phone mount for me!

I used the Mountek nGroove CD slot magnetic mount in my previous car and love it. However, it blocks the touch screen in the HR-V so I was looking for another option.

A while back, I discovered that the ball and socket on the Mountek are the same size (17mm) as the ball and sockets on Garmin mounts. So I ordered the Garmin Air Vent Mount, snapped the magnetic head off the Mountek, snapped it onto the Garmin ball and attached it to the vent between the steering wheel and the touch screen. That is the perfect location to have my phone conveniently located to use Waze navigation. Of course I can put the little metal plates on the back of anything else I need and mount them there instead of the phone.

Here are the links to the items I mentioned.

Mountek nGroove

Garmin Air Vent Mount

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got my new Mountek Airsnap yesterday. I was one of the first backers and this is one of the first out the door.
Its a really good mount and fixes the only problem I had with their CD slot mounted ones.....it doesn't mount right above my screen :D
Sorry about the crappy pics. The mount is very solid and you can still adjust the airflow left to right.

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
An update on what I ended up with.

I used the base from this:

And the front from this:

In this setup, the vent is not blocked and I can easily place and remove the phone with one hand. I still have to thread the charging wire to come-up from under the dash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To anyone that has a vent mount, doesn't it bother being 1 vent short? Especially the vent on the drivers right side. I love my heat in the winter and ac in the summer. Also can this bent even be turned off?
I bought a magnetic ball to cover the passenger airbag light but unfortunately my iphone 6plus is too big to fit there. So now I have this magnetic mount I can't figure out where to put it, maybe in the right side of the screen.

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
This setup looks great. Question: why not just use the whole iOttie?
I love the iOttie one touch holder, but the arm was a little too bulky for me and did not really need the extension option. The arm on the Arkon was sleeker but still rigid. So I combined the two. I think the whole setup cost me around $30. Still very good value for the setup. Works great and very easy to use. I can place the phone and take it out of the holder with one hand.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What are folks using in the HR-V’s to hold their phones? The ones that clip onto your vent seem like a bad idea ( maybe break the vent after a long time?) and the cup phone holders would sit further back than I would like.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

I do not have but this one looks interesting and fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve been using a vent mounted version for about a year. It holds my phone in a location that doesn’t require me to look too far down, and keeps my eyes facing forwards without it being placed in front of part of the windscreen.

It slides into your car vent and it holds your phone magnetically to the mount. Some have a ball joint in the rear so you can aim it at you. Honestly I’ve owned both and I prefer the ball joint version. Only downside is the all plastic construction makes that the location most likely to break. I’m on my second now.

Magnets are strong enough to stick well, and it comes with some VERY strongly adhesive backed steel plates that you can use if your phone has a non magnetic back face (anything with inductive charging will work). Suggest sliding the phone up or down to remove the phone from the mount because the magnets are strong enough to pull out the mount as well. Also suggest installing into the left hand vent on an HRV because you can turn off the air if you’re running your heater, or turn it on if you are running AC.

Mpow M11 Magnetic Car Phone Mount, Air Vent Phone Holder for Car, Adjustable Car Phone Mount Compatible iPhone Xs/XS MAX/XR/X/8/8Plus/7/7Plus/6s, Galaxy S6/S7/S8/S9, Google Nexus, Huawei https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K896ZBD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_3pY7Cb6EWZWH2

Vehicle Car Subcompact car Nissan Supermini

21 - 40 of 58 Posts