Honda HR-V Forum banner

Cell Phone Mount/Cradle

56K views 58 replies 36 participants last post by  Hadleys Taxi 
#1 ·
I want use a cell phone mount/cradle for my iPhone 6. And was wondering what everybody is using for a mount. Went to Amazon and there must be 1000s of choices.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Mostly interested in a non windshield mount only because the HRV windshield is raked. But have an opened mind. I like the mounts that sit on top of the dashboard but not sure about the effectiveness of the suction cup given the textured surface and its effect on the dashboard. Some of the reviews talked about ruining the dashboard due to the suction cup effect.

Some provide an adhesive mounting disk that is "taped" to the dashboard to provide a smooth firm surface for the suction cup. However not sure if this will ruin the dashboard if later I need to remove the disk. Again that was a problem according to some reviews.

I also saw some mounts that plug into the CD player. However these will block the top of the screen in my EXL HRV.

Can you please let me know what you are using and how well it is working? Stability, vibration, accessibility...

#2 ·
I have used a "sticky pad" dashboard adapter for my GPS which is on a beanbag mount. It keeps the beanbag from sliding around and is quite effective. Does not leave any residue on the dashboard since it is not a suction cup. It should also work in combination with a phone cradle. I think I bought it from Meritline.

#6 ·
I tried a Mountek for a Garmin Nuvi, and while it didn't block the screen (the unit can be mounted so that the ball is up or down), I found it too far to the right for my taste, and it jiggled a little over bumps. A Garmin friction mount with a soft, flexible base now sits on the dash, low enough that it's not blocking my view, and close enough to reach easily while driving. Similar mounts must be available for cell phones. This design is very, very stable.

#7 ·
That flexible friction mount looks great. I'm looking for a mount for my GPS. I noticed a lot of reviews on Amazon complaining that it leaves a residue on the dash that cannot be removed. Have you had any problems like that? How long have you used this? Thanks!

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my HR-V EX!

#14 ·
That flexible friction mount looks great. I'm looking for a mount for my GPS. I noticed a lot of reviews on Amazon complaining that it leaves a residue on the dash that cannot be removed. Have you had any problems like that? How long have you used this? Thanks!
Not a trace of residue after 4 weeks. I cleaned the area where the mount would go with isopropyl alcohol before putting it in place. The bottom of the Garmin mount isn't an adhesive, just a very soft polymer of some sort; some of the Amazon reviews said that it can collect dust and lose its grip, but since I never remove it from the dash, that hasn't been my experience.

#10 ·
I'm in a bit of a conundrum with mounting a Garmin GPS and a dash cam but I went ahead anyways and mounted the GPS low just above the dash with the supplied suction cup. The cable I dangle a little to the left coming down by the air vent. If the cable dangles over the entertainment screen the pressure of the cable is enough to change channels, etc. To do a clean mount of the GPS cable would require routing through the A pillars (if I mount it high near the rear view mirror). Depending on how they are routed there is the possibility of interference with the curtain air bag mounted in the A pillar. The dash cam which I have not permanently mounted would route down the side of the other A pillar. Hopefully anything mounted in the center of the dash or the low center position GPS mount on the glass will not interfere with the driver or passenger air bag deployment.

#12 ·
I will be installing an aux power port at the lower left corner of the windshield where it meets the dash and will plug the Garmin in there using the friction mount. That keeps it visible but out of the way and avoids dangling wires. My radar detector is on top of the rear view mirror and I will be running the power up the driver's side A pillar and over the top of the windshield. That is where the factory remote start antenna is mounted so I don't think there is a problem with the air bag.

#16 ·
Google "Roadster Smartphone Sticky Dash Mount"

(sorry this is my first post and it's on my phone and I can't figure out how to paste the link so I apologize)

It's only $6, and it's simple enough for me to keep on the dash. I haven't received my HR-V yet to see how it'll work on the dashboard but I love it.

I have used this item (previously purchased from groupon) almost daily for years. I do recommend not keeping it in the heat because as reviews say on Amazon, it does melt. Although I've used it several summers before, it wasn't until this summer until it started to melt but it only made my screen "sticky "

#20 ·
Good evening everyone. Google search a company called Kenu. I believe the website is www.kenu.com they make a model called the Airframe. This is a mount that fits firmly on your air vent. It will should not damage the vent. My cousin happens to be the VP of design for Kenu and gave me a couple of them when he was in town for a visit. 1 for myself and the other for my girlfriend. Pretty nice, the product got some decent reviews and I think there was a review on CNET. Hope this helps.

#21 ·
I will second the Kenu Airframe product, and I don't know anyone who works for them! Found it a couple of years ago at the Apple Store, and loved it so much, I bought 2 more for family members for Xmas that year. The reason I love the Kenu Airframe is that it is barely visible (no clunky mounts or arms), holds the phone perfectly without vibrations on bumpy roads, and is tiny so it can be easily taken with you on a trip for use in a different car. Plus all phone ports and buttons remain exposed for use.

#22 ·
Kenu airframe all the way! I have one in my HR-V, on the very top of the vent to the left of the touchscreen. Blends in great with the black, very low-profile and unobtrusive. If you use bigger phones (phablets, iphone 6plus, etc), get the airframe+

Amazon is selling them for around $30, but I got mine new in box from ebay for around $15.

#25 ·
In my previous car (Honda Fit) and in my HR-V until I find a better option, I use the Mountek nGroove CD slot holder that has a magnetic pad that holds the metal plate on my phone case.

This works great except that it slightly covers the touchscreen in the HR-V as others have stated.

However, the ball and socket on the Mountek is the same size as the ball and socket on Garmin mounts (17mm). So, I could buy something like a Garmin vent mount, Garmin dash mount, or add something like this Garmin-to-RAM adaptor to a RAM mount and snap the head of the Mountek onto it and be good togo.

http://www.arkon.com/product/SP25MM17-25mm-ball-17mm-ball-adapter.html

Now I just have to find the best option for me. I like the Frankenmount idea posted by mahst68, but it's a little pricy for my taste. I have an older Garmin beanbag dash mount, but it has lost it's ability to stay still on the dash and slides when I turn.

#26 ·
In my previous car (Honda Fit) and in my HR-V until I find a better option, I use the Mountek nGroove CD slot holder that has a magnetic pad that holds the metal plate on my phone case.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tek ngroove&qid=1449235495&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

This works great except that it slightly covers the touchscreen in the HR-V as others have stated.

However, the ball and socket on the Mountek is the same size as the ball and socket on Garmin mounts (17mm). So, I could buy something like a Garmin vent mount, Garmin dash mount, or add something like this Garmin-to-RAM adaptor to a RAM mount and snap the head of the Mountek onto it and be good togo.

http://www.arkon.com/product/SP25MM17-25mm-ball-17mm-ball-adapter.html

Now I just have to find the best option for me. I like the Frankenmount idea posted by mahst68, but it's a little pricy for my taste. I have an older Garmin beanbag dash mount, but it has lost it's ability to stay still on the dash and slides when I turn.
I also have the Garmin beanbag mount and use it mostly on my other cars. On my HR-V I mounted the Garmin using their vent mount next to the radio. The best solution to solve the sliding problem is to put a "sticky pad" under the beanbag base. These sticky pads are available from Meritline and other places and are also used under area rugs. They are thin flexible silicone rectangles that are sticky on both sides but do not leave any residue and work very well.

#27 ·
Just found the perfect phone mount for me!

I used the Mountek nGroove CD slot magnetic mount in my previous car and love it. However, it blocks the touch screen in the HR-V so I was looking for another option.

A while back, I discovered that the ball and socket on the Mountek are the same size (17mm) as the ball and sockets on Garmin mounts. So I ordered the Garmin Air Vent Mount, snapped the magnetic head off the Mountek, snapped it onto the Garmin ball and attached it to the vent between the steering wheel and the touch screen. That is the perfect location to have my phone conveniently located to use Waze navigation. Of course I can put the little metal plates on the back of anything else I need and mount them there instead of the phone.

Here are the links to the items I mentioned.

Mountek nGroove

Garmin Air Vent Mount

#28 · (Edited)
Got my new Mountek Airsnap yesterday. I was one of the first backers and this is one of the first out the door.
Its a really good mount and fixes the only problem I had with their CD slot mounted ones.....it doesn't mount right above my screen :D
Sorry about the crappy pics. The mount is very solid and you can still adjust the airflow left to right.

Attachments

#31 ·
To anyone that has a vent mount, doesn't it bother being 1 vent short? Especially the vent on the drivers right side. I love my heat in the winter and ac in the summer. Also can this bent even be turned off?
I bought a magnetic ball to cover the passenger airbag light but unfortunately my iphone 6plus is too big to fit there. So now I have this magnetic mount I can't figure out where to put it, maybe in the right side of the screen.

#34 ·
I love the iOttie one touch holder, but the arm was a little too bulky for me and did not really need the extension option. The arm on the Arkon was sleeker but still rigid. So I combined the two. I think the whole setup cost me around $30. Still very good value for the setup. Works great and very easy to use. I can place the phone and take it out of the holder with one hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.