Honda HR-V Forum banner

Center console cup holder insert?

53K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  steph712 
#1 ·
Hey guys the plastic insert in my center console cup holder has broken and I need to replace it. The two plastic cup holders can swivel up or down. Problem is I cannot find it anywhere online. Do you guys know what I am talking about? I can bring the broken one to the dealer to replace it but would rather buy cheaper online. I can take a pic of my broken one if needed. Any suggestions online where to buy a new one? Thanks.

#6 ·
The cup holder insert in our recently purchased 2016 HRV is not even there.

The cup holder assembly (p/n 77230-T7W-A01ZA) is readily available at our local Honda dealer for CAD$60 but I don't feel like pulling the center console apart to replace it.

A little poking around on the internet and this comes up:

US$9/ CAD$11, free shipping from China. Not a huge risk, ordered it up, we'll see what happens.
It should just drop into the HRV empty cup holder shell.

#8 ·
Well the cheapo/China cupholder insert came in and it is not great.

Its make the large cup holder much smaller as it is not very deep and fits loosely.
I added 2 small pieces of velcro to hold it in place.
The cupholder section is way too small. It will only hold a small coffee cup or can of pop.

Most importantly, wifey (the primary driver), does not like it.
Not a big deal for US$10.

I don't feel like paying CAD$60 (US$45) for the entire cupholder asm at the dealer, so I think I will
check out a few HRV's at an autowreckers.
We show 3 wrecked HRV's locally available.

Reactions: Vanesa84
#15 ·
Well the cheapo/China cupholder insert came in and it is not great.

Its make the large cup holder much smaller as it is not very deep and fits loosely.
I added 2 small pieces of velcro to hold it in place.
The cupholder section is way too small. It will only hold a small coffee cup or can of pop.

Most importantly, wifey (the primary driver), does not like it.
Not a big deal for US$10.

I don't feel like paying CAD$60 (US$45) for the entire cupholder asm at the dealer, so I think I will
check out a few HRV's at an autowreckers.
We show 3 wrecked HRV's locally available.
Thats too bad it really looked like a good idea...I was going to get one but I guess not. Are there any other ones out there that will fit???

#9 ·
Good write up, got mine a day or two ago, yup , it is junk… I had a feeling…

Reactions: Vanesa84
#10 ·
I just bought a used 2018 HRV and had the same issue. I also could not find any good parts to buy online (which is honestly baffling to me but whatever lol). My solution is going to be to buy two pen cups from the office supply section. If they both are in there, they will keep each other from tipping over. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

#11 ·
On Amazon... this one :
I just bought a used 2018 HRV and had the same issue. I also could not find any good parts to buy online (which is honestly baffling to me but whatever lol). My solution is going to be to buy two pen cups from the office supply section. If they both are in there, they will keep each other from tipping over. Not perfect, but better than nothing.
Interesting idea. Post a pic once you're done with it.

#16 ·
The height flaps in my cup holder broke too, an uncharacteristically poor design by Honda because it appears those flaps can't bear heavy weight, so I figured out how to replace it without a video on YouTube. It was a pain in the ass with lots of steps to get to the cup holder, but I will do a video or a write up shortly. It costs just over $100 CAD and if this breaks again, I will be calling Honda Canada.

#17 ·
They are not designed to carry heavy weights, only to provide support to short cups and bottles, to make it easy for you to lift them out, and that they don't get lost in full height mode.

If you need to place heavy items in the cup holders, you push down so that the cup holder base can support the weight.

Intrigued as to what you placed in there as I would have thought any items that were far too heavy to be supported by the flaps would have fallen through and rested on the cup holder base on the floor.

The flaps are strong enough to support the weight of a full large Contigo West Loop travel mug and a Sistema 600ml Swift Hydrate bottle which is normally half full of ice.

#19 ·
So having searched around locally and found no wrecked HR-Vs to pull an insert from online, I decided against the Japanese cupholder (a bit expensive and tasking just to get a working cupholder imo) and the plastic insert that I've seen around here (it doesn't look like it will hold much more than a can of soda without significantly impeding my driving since my HR-V is a manual). I managed to come up with a cheap alternative using a couple 3/4" furniture feet (luckily, this size ended up fitting perfectly despite not having measurements ahead of time) and a little tool called a header bolt spreader.

I've never heard of these before but they're basically intended to be stuck between two exhaust manifold pipes and then the center can be torqued with a wrench to spread them apart (headers warp over time so this may be necessary to align the bolt pattern with the block). I put the two rubber feet over the metal end pieces (to avoid scrapping/cracking the cupholder walls) and then adjusted it until it was snug. This solution fits great and can be removed with zero effort in seconds (yet doesn't seem as though it'll fall out by accident).

I figured I'd share since these cupholder inserts seem to be a fairly prevalent issue amongst secondhand HR-V owners (why someone removes them is beyond me).

Below, I'm linking the parts I personally used (the exhaust spreader comes in silver as well but I personally thought this setup was better than a brushed metal look).

Spreader: https://smile.amazon.com/Lisle-1300...b17ef&pd_rd_wg=ROgSd&pd_rd_i=B0009OR94W&psc=1

Furniture feet: softtouch 3/4" Rubber Folding Metal Chair Leg Cap Replacement Tips, Black (4 Pack) - Furniture Cups - Amazon.com
Automotive tire Fixture Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive design

#21 ·
No, I didn't even check with them. I had bought my car used from Autolenders and read on here that there is no specific part number regarding the divider in particular.

Having dealt with similar instances in the past (I've had a situation where a bumper plate bracket required the purchase of the full bumper) I figured I'd just be wasting my time since they'd likely just tell me I'd have to buy the entire cupholder assembly (I'm not paying dealer prices for all that just to get the plastic piece that clearly costs nearly nothing to produce).

That said, some on here have mentioned contacting their dealers about the issue, though I don't recall any success stories regarding getting one without the purchase of the full assembly. Your best bet is to check your local junkyard or online junkyard repository (there are sites that will search their various inventories for said part and then get back to you if they can locate one). Ebay was fruitless for me, the numerous times I checked resulted in nothing.

Some on here have gone through the process of buying the Japanese model's (known as the Honda Vezel over there) entire cupholder assembly as it is an overall better design that keeps cups secure with automatically adjusting braces for both the lower and upper portions of the cup. The US version, as far as I can see from pictures, just braces larger cups/bottles at the bottom and doesn't do much to stop them from tipping over the piece in question that my car was missing. The lower portion doesn't adjust to fit the cup either so more slender bottles/cups will slide around from what I can see looking at the design in pictures.

The implementation I've come up with solves this issue fairly well, since the brace I'd able to be placed far enough up in the holder that it prevents tipping. Items can still slide around the bottom of the area though so I may come up with something to divide the two areas a bit better. I'm hesitant to try this, as I feel ill likely be wasting money/performing a bunch of returns but Amazon sells a few cupholder separators that look like they may fit quite well. One that comes to mind is for a Toyota Camry but I didn't bother buying one because even a millimeter or two difference in width would result in the piece being loose or not fitting at all. (Edit: here is a link if you're interested https://smile.amazon.com/Trunknets-...&qid=1628736416&sprefix=cup+holder+sep&sr=8-4)

I'd imagine an individual with a 3D printer could probably make some and would have a decent customer base if they put them on Ebay/Amazon. It really makes NO sense that they don't sell the part individually online and is really just annoying considering the design wasn't very good in the first place.

#22 ·
In the UK we are fortunate in that we tend to get the same stuff that comes with the Vezel, and one of them being the cup holders with the height adjustable flaps.

It was quite a pleasant surprise of the adaptability of the HR-V's cupholders after coming from a VW sub brand with a generic set up that was quite restrictive in what would and would not fit. Even when something did fit, the depth of the holder was so narrow most items toppled over.

Bit of an eye opening moment, the image above is of my actual previous vehicle that came up when I did a generic search for VW Cupholders. I posted this on an owners forum years ago!

#23 ·
In the UK we are fortunate in that we tend to get the same stuff that comes with the Vezel, and one of them being the cup holders with the height adjustable flaps.

It was quite a pleasant surprise of the adaptability of the HR-V's cupholders after coming from a VW sub brand with a generic set up that was quite restrictive in what would and would not fit. Even when something did fit, the depth of the holder was so narrow most items toppled over.

View attachment 32407

Bit of an eye opening moment, the image above is of my actual previous vehicle that came up when I did a generic search for VW Cupholders. I posted this on an owners forum years ago!
I had been quite annoyed with the cupholder situation with the US HR-V, not because of the cupholder itself (I more or less just stuck a bottle in it and only two or three times needed the item to stay upright) but more so the inadequate options to fix the issue.

It's almost funny to me that not only do they not sell the insert separately but also that you can't find a single one secondhand on Ebay. Not a single person or plastic manufacturer has bothered to make one either. The company had an ideal implementation that the sold elsewhere as well, as if they couldn't have actually reduced production costs by just making a single style of cupholder...

The real kicker for me is though is that the entire assembly can only be removed by disassembling the whole center console AND flipping it upside-down to get to the screws that secure it. Could they not have put some lock-in tabs to secure the upper lip and then ran 2-4 bolts down through the bottom into a bracket underneath and covered the bolts with the rubberized pad already in the bottom?

The HR-V is an amazing vehicle and in the month I've had it, I'm very much loving it (it may well be my favorite vehicle out of the 10 I've owned) but there are definitely some quirks.

I think the metal panel in the skidplate under the engine is my favorite. It actually seems like the Honda engineering team made it as a practical joke. Looking under the car, it looks like the panel is meant to be removed for fluid servicing to avoid having to take the entire panel off but they actually secured it with pins that cannot be removed without breaking them...

The best part is, even if you were to remove it, the oil drain plug and filter don't even align with the exposed area and oil would just run all inside the panel if you tried using it that way. There literally is no reason to have that area be made of metal. They could've just made the entire thing out of plastic and realistically not even bothered with it being separate from the rest of the main panel since removing it makes no difference regarding any maintenance at all. It's just a metal hunk placed there for nothing.