Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just asking when you changed the initial oil in your HRV. Did you let the oil life meter tell you when or did you change it at a certian mile...like 5000 miles..

·
Registered
517 Posts
I always do the first oil and filter change very early (at about 3000 miles)- and was adamant about the break-in driving riles for the first 1000 miles for my civic, and my HR-V.
after that - its every 6 months or unless the MM says sooner than that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always do the first oil and filter change very early (at about 3000 miles)- and was adamant about the break-in driving riles for the first 1000 miles for my civic, and my HR-V.
after that - its every 6 months or unless the MM says sooner than that.
I think I will leave the oil in till the oil says 50% and then change it. Will go with syn oil...In my accord I would also add MotorKote every other oil change...

·
Registered
517 Posts
I think I will leave the oil in till the oil says 50% and then change it. Will go with syn oil...In my accord I would also add MotorKote every other oil change...
Avoid any and all additives !!
- a brand name synthetic or synthetic blend 0W-20 is more than good enough if you are on top of intervals etc.
I only use Mobil 1 synth, as it has been my go to since the 80s. (Brand loyalty here)
and i always change the filter.

·
Registered
975 Posts
And dumping a full synthetic at 50% life is a waste of money and a negative impact on the environment, IMHO.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
377 Posts
In the UK there used to be an Inspection service at around 500 to 1k miles up until the mid 90's, when it reverted to mileage and age related servicing.

On my previous vehicle due to the mileage I was doing at the time I chose Variable Servicing; generally 18k miles/24 months, or when the servicing indicator came up.

With my HR-V I'm on 12.5k or every 12 months, whatever comes first. The oil they use is Honda branded.

·
Registered
517 Posts
And dumping a full synthetic at 50% life is a waste of money and a negative impact on the environment, IMHO.
you are supposed to recycle it. and its the first one which is usually the " break in oil" anyway, should see more wear and particles as the rings seat etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you are supposed to recycle it. and its the first one which is usually the " break in oil" anyway, should see more wear and particles as the rings seat etc.
YUP and I feel that by 5000 miles the engine should be broke in...IMO and yes the old oil IS recycled...

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
539 Posts
I am 67 years old and grew up with 3000 oil and filter....then I went to 5000..with syn oil...the accord that I traded in had a 2.4 and had 385000 on it...I know that oils are a heck of a lot better then the old days...I just have a hard time to keep it in for 7000 to 10000 miles...
Well...

On my Fit, I only get 6k miles between oil changes for normal driving (using the MM). The only time that was different, was when I took a road trip (basically, Chi-SD-NY-Chi). That extended it beyond the 6k... maybe to about 8-9k or so.

On the other hand, with my HR-V, I've pretty consistently hit only 4.5-5k on the MM before needing an oil change.

I feel that it's worth trusting the MM over hard set numbers. The MM takes a few things into account (RPM changes and engine load), things that are affected by driving conditions (flat, hilly, heavy, light, etc). Hard numbers do not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts