Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the UK Owners handbook it is recommended to check the engine oil level at every fill up, and that to do so approximately 3 minutes after switching the engine off - whilst it is still warm.

I check the engine oil level most weekends, normally after stopping off for a coffee. When I returned to the car this weekend the oil level was approximately 1/4 from the top. The car had been sat for around 40 minutes or so on level ground and the temperature was in the high 20C's. This has been the first occasion I have encountered a dip in the oil level since owning the vehicle for over 2 years. The vehicle had its annual service in March, which included an engine oil and filter change as standard.

Earlier today, I checked the engine oil level whilst the engine was cold, and the vehicle had not been started in 24 hours. The engine oil level was right on the maximum level.

I am aware that whilst conducting my initial check with a warm engine some oil will have clung to components or be trapped in various cavities and pipework, however, I am slightly concerned that previously the oil readings were normal when the engine was warm, but this one was out by 1/4 and it has suddenly returned to 100% when the engine was cold. Does this indicate the Honda garage has overfilled the engine oil?

Also, which method of checking the oil level should I use; hot or cold engine?

TIA

·
Registered
6spd FWD
105 Posts
…for over 3 decades of owning and doing minor maintenance on my cars, i’ve always checked and changed oil while the engine is cold. no scientific data to prove my method is correct, but it has not failed me yet!

i understand that newer technology is now much better when it comes to car components but i still do not rely nor have depended on that maintenance oil indicator on the hr-v.

i don’t depend on the oil percentage indicator, i simply check the oil using the dip stick to check for quality and and quantity.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Up until my previous vehicle which I owned from 2010 - 2020, I had always carried out the engine oil check when the engine was cold. My current and previous vehicles are the only ones where the Owners Manual recommended carrying it out on a warm engine.

Due to previous experience I am not a fan of 'automated' servicing. As I had a daily commute to work of 100 miles each day, and an occasional 1,000 mile schlepp a few weekends throughout the year and it being a diesel, my previous vehicle was set to 'Variable Servicing' with the on board diagnostics deciding exactly when a service was due. I was told this would equate to approximately 2 years or 18 - 24k miles, except in my case it stated I required a service at just over 13k miles and about 6 months. I had it set to annual (12 months/9,300 miles) thereafter, that way I could plan the servicing around work.

As to the HR-V, apparently it is standard practice for UK dealers to set the servicing from the factory set Maintenance Minder to Annual; 12 months/12k miles.

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
386 Posts
You are wise to continue to check oil level.

But don't lose sleep over that one happenstance.

Remember, the dipstick indicates a Safe Range of operation. While some owners prefer that the indicator (dipstick) reads FULL, you won't see any issue at the bottom of the dipstick's normal indicator. (Unless you commonly turn high G forces whilst cornering, as at a racetrack) :eek:

I like to check oil in the morning in the garage. That is the most repeatable indicator for me. I DO test the reading following the maker's recommended method, whether it is 3 minutes or 30 minutes after shutdown. Sometimes 'hot' oil gives a higher reading.

If you monitor the oil usage and do not notice diminishing oil level (IE, oil burning or leakage) you may safely go longer than every fill up.

Reactions: Hadleys Taxi

·
Registered
8 Posts
As an end user I check engine oil level when cold, as a datum.

But oem can't specify its dealers or service centres to check oil level ONLY with cold engine, right?

·
Registered
148 Posts
With our modern superlow viscosity oils, there should be very little "hang up" in a hot engine.

But when the hot oil is clean, not much "hangs" on the dipstick and the level is hard to see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts