Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Funny how the mention that Ford isn't a player yet in this market segment in the USA, but they forget Ford was already making a city sized SUV back in the 1980's....everyone remembers the Bronco II right? The only car accident I've been in was as a passenger in a rollover over a Bronco II :( If only they had stability control back then. Looking back on that vehicle it had everything I'm looking for now in a car (flat cargo floor, large cargo space, small size, etc.). Maybe Ford should introduce the Bronco III?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heck, you could really count the Wrangler/CJ series in here as well. The original CR-V was about the same size and proportions as the HR-V. Everything has gotten bigger.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The original CRV was about the same size as the current CRV. HRV is different segment.
There's a catch to the original CR-V size though. The overall length measurements usually included the spare tire hanging off the back. So the overall lengths are similar, but the newer CR-V's are a bigger vehicle when you take into account the difference the spare tire makes. You can see the size change over time in the images below. The HR-V is 4,295 mm and the original CR-V started at 4,360 (a 2.5 inch difference).

·
Registered
290 Posts
I laughed when I read this...

"The three pioneers — Countryman, Encore, Trax — snagged a total of 72,276 buyers last year in an SUV market that was 5.4 million, according to Autodata."

The Kia Soul has sold 150,000 units a year for half a decade. Whether it's classified as a CUV or car really is a regulatory technicality. They're all tall hatches - the whole group is based on a subcompact car that's been raised, sometimes with a token AWD or 4WD system (except the Renegade - which has a kick-a-- system).

It seems auto journalists everywhere refuse to acknowledge the existence of the best-selling "CUV" since 2010 - as in, it blasts every other maker's sales numbers out of the water.

As for Ford, they always go their own way and do their own thing. I own a Ranger and would buy another tomorrow, but they decided nobody wants small pickups. Ford has explained to me that I should buy an F-150, and I've told them to go - well, you can guess that part...

·
Registered
255 Posts
As for Ford, they always go their own way and do their own thing. I own a Ranger and would buy another tomorrow, but they decided nobody wants small pickups. Ford has explained to me that I should buy an F-150, and I've told them to go - well, you can guess that part...
I will never forget Ford's statement in 2011 regarding the Ranger. I had an F-150 and HATED driving it to work. Way too unwieldy for the tight country highway I commuted every day. The Ranger and later, a Frontier, served me much better and I actually did more "work" with them than the F-150.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts