Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! First post here. First of all, just took delivery of a new Mulberry EX-L HRV last week and I am absolutely in love with this car!

Only issue I have, and wondering if anyone else has experienced this, is there's a clicking or rattling noise coming from the driver side door when hitting bumps or even on smooth roads at highway speeds. It's not very loud and I can drown it out with music, but if I shut the music off for a quiet ride, the clicking is very noticeable. Interestingly, if I hold the door shut tighter with my other hand while driving, the noise goes away, almost as if the door needs to be tightened while shut. Is this an issue with my car? Or is it normal for certain parts of any car to rattle a bit at high speeds? Am I being too picky?

Spoke to my dealer who said to bring it in, so I will next week. But just wondering if anyone else has had this, and what you guys think.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Both our HRVs are mechanically dead quiet while driving......

Let them have a look, sounds like something is lose somewhere...........not normal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I'll be interested to see what they say when I take it in. Also, I just went for another drive and I noticed that I don't even have to be driving in order to reproduce the sound. While idling at a light, I just tapped the back of the driver side door with my elbow and it clicked as well. The same thing does not happen on the passenger door.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I'll be interested to see what they say when I take it in. Also, I just went for another drive and I noticed that I don't even have to be driving in order to reproduce the sound. While idling at a light, I just tapped the back of the driver side door with my elbow and it clicked as well. The same thing does not happen on the passenger door.

My wild guess is one of the clamps for the wiring harness inside the door came lose.

Please report back on what they found...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem but only when the window is down. This is also only happening on the driver's door and not any other doors. The clicking noise is constant and very annoying.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine makes a clicking/rattling noise as well. I think my noise is from drivers window being loose. When I hit big bumps it makes noise or if I close drivers window it will make noise once it gets to closed point. Also if the window is already closed and I push switch to make sure it will rattle. Only happens on the front drivers door for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I brought my HRV in to the dealer today. After a reasonable one hour wait, they said they think they fixed the door clicking noise and I should come out and check it. The guy said there was no defect from the factory, just a clip that holds a harness for the window that may vibrate. He added foam padding around it. I tried to replicate the sound and I heard nothing. We then went for a ride and I could NOT hear ANYTHING! I was happy.

So here's the annoying part. Immediately after the service guy leaves and I drive the car back onto the street, the door starts clicking again!! AARGHH!! I was too embarrassed to turn right back around after I just said it was all good. It seems the maintenance gods who make sure only you can hear your car's defects were out in full force.

I think I will live with it for a few months and mention it to them again at my first oil change.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another update for those interested...

I thought I would wait until my first oil change, but after driving with the rattle for another couple of days, I decided to bring it in one more time since I had the afternoon off. The dealership mechanic could definitely hear the noise but wasn't sure where it came from. They must have test drove my HRV 10 times while I waited. To make a long story short, they literally had to bend the metal within the door near where the sound was coming from, and test drive over and over again, until they got it just right. Drove it home, and..... Silence!! ?

Seems to have worked, hope it remains that way. Again though, the after sales service from the Honda dealership has been outstanding, really taking care to fix the problem, and they took me in today with no appointment and started working on it right away.

I can finally enjoy the smooth quiet ride the HRV offers!

I do wonder though if issues like this are what people mean when they say not to buy a new model in its first year. Either way I'm still a happy HRV owner!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Another update for those interested...

I thought I would wait until my first oil change, but after driving with the rattle for another couple of days, I decided to bring it in one more time since I had the afternoon off. The dealership mechanic could definitely hear the noise but wasn't sure where it came from. They must have test drove my HRV 10 times while I waited. To make a long story short, they literally had to bend the metal within the door near where the sound was coming from, and test drive over and over again, until they got it just right. Drove it home, and..... Silence!! ?

Seems to have worked, hope it remains that way. Again though, the after sales service from the Honda dealership has been outstanding, really taking care to fix the problem, and they took me in today with no appointment and started working on it right away.

I can finally enjoy the smooth quiet ride the HRV offers!

I do wonder though if issues like this are what people mean when they say not to buy a new model in its first year. Either way I'm still a happy HRV owner!
This seems more like a fit and finish thing moreso than a defect that pops up in the first model year. To me this is more related to growing pains of a new plant than a new car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dealer replaced the window channel. Still rattles. Not sure what else to do. Build quality and fit and finish on this car has been disappointing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealer replaced the window channel. Still rattles. Not sure what else to do. Build quality and fit and finish on this car has been disappointing.
Long story short, I tried the following tip from Selden in this thread http://www.hrvforum.com/#/forumsite/21046/topics/15458?page=1
regarding the rubber spacers. Rotated them outwards a bit to tighten the fit of the door, and so far it worked! After two trips to the dealer to fix the rattle, both times thinking it was fixed, only to hear the rattle again a short while afterwards.

Try it out, I'm curious if it works for your specific problem. Seems to have worked for me (so far at least!).

·
Registered
64 Posts
I want to think this is the same rattle I've had that can't be diagnosed, but I think mine is definitely more towards the dash/windshield area. I hate that no one else is having the same rattle/ticking as me...(although I'm also pleased for everyone else!)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They had to bend the metal within the door?
Yup. That's what the dealer said he had to do. None of the bending was on the cosmetic/visible metal. But it turned out that didn't fix the problem anyway. I'm definitely a little disappointed that the dealer didn't simply adjust the fit of the door with the rubber spacers like I did myself thanks to a tip on this forum. but I'm just happy that, for now, the rattle is gone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want to think this is the same rattle I've had that can't be diagnosed, but I think mine is definitely more towards the dash/windshield area. I hate that no one else is having the same rattle/ticking as me...(although I'm also pleased for everyone else!)
My noise was definitely not from the dash/windshield area. But my dealer said if they couldn't fix it in my couple of short visits to their service center, to make an appointment where they keep the car for up to 3 days and they would give me a loaner in the meantime. He said when noises like that are hard to diagnose they might need that much time to fully investigate it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey, just wondering if anyone has found the root cause of the problem.
i too hear a clicking noise from the driver door, most probably from the window.
i haven't had the chance to compare with the passenger window, but there seems to be window judder in the inboard/outboard dirn in addition to looseness in the up/down dirn. the looseness is significantly worse by the b pillar.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts