Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2016 HRV last June and since day one I have had an issue with the blower on the climate control and after trips to the dealers and the issue still not getting fixed I wanted to put it out there and see if anyone as had the same problem.

When I first start the car after being stood for an amount of time, set the fan to manual, full power, front vents I get what I would expect to be a full power fan of air coming out of the vents however, after 15m or so, the air flow gets weaker (fan speed unchanged).

I recently dropped the glove compartment out and removed the cabin filter to ensure that the fan was still blowing at full speed (which it is) so can confirm its not the blower motor or resistor.

When the issue happens the fan does seem to sound louder (or blocked), and when standing out the vehicle you can hear the intake fan drawing air in from the outside.

Changing any fan setting doesn't seem to sort the issue and with our removing the dash to get to the full air box I am at a loss.

Anyone else out there has and fixed this issue?

·
Registered
969 Posts
WOW - the only thing that could 'normally' cause air flow changes would be fan speed setting (AUTO settings will adjust the speed up and down variably) - and the recirculation/fresh air switch would cause the air to take a different path ( same speed setting would have a diffferent sound and diff amount of air out the grilles ).
if neither of those is changing anything - then it could be a defect in the switch, or the motor itself.

if you put the defrost setting on i think that chnages the fresh air switch too - which changes the path of the air.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,234 Posts
When you say Climate Control do you actually mean Climate Control or A/C?

My understanding is with Climate Control if you select a temperature that is far lower or greater than the temperature in the car, the system will ramp up to get to that temperature and then once it has reached it, the system makes incremental adjustments as and when required to maintain the set temperature.

That's how it works with my vehicle.

With AC, it will just blow out at the heat and fan speed setting until you change it. That's how I found it to be with a previous Nissan, I was constantly adjusting either the temperature dial or fan speed as the vehicle either got far too cold or warm.

Apologies if I have misinterpreted your query.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say Climate Control do you actually mean Climate Control or A/C?

My understanding is with Climate Control if you select a temperature that is far lower or greater than the temperature in the car, the system will ramp up to get to that temperature and then once it has reached it, the system makes incremental adjustments as and when required to maintain the set temperature.

That's how it works with my vehicle.

With AC, it will just blow out at the heat and fan speed setting until you change it. That's how I found it to be with a previous Nissan, I was constantly adjusting either the temperature dial or fan speed as the vehicle either got far too cold or warm.

Apologies if I have misinterpreted your query.
I suppose the general 'heating / ac system' or blowers. I don't have anything set to automatic and all is on manual with 'fresh' air setting. I think its either the thermostat or an actuator issue. As the fan speed/temp stays the same but something changes within the system to cut off or restrict the air from the blower coming out the vents.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I suppose the general 'heating / ac system' or blowers. I don't have anything set to automatic and all is on manual with 'fresh' air setting. I think its either the thermostat or an actuator issue. As the fan speed/temp stays the same but something changes within the system to cut off or restrict the air from the blower coming out the vents.
if its a thermostat setting then its on AUTO ( fan speeds change accordingly)

-I'm pretty sure if you have constant fan speed - the only temp adjustments is VIA the hot water valve to bypass water around the heater core.

·
Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
108 Posts
I purchased a 2016 HRV last June and since day one I have had an issue with the blower on the climate control and after trips to the dealers and the issue still not getting fixed I wanted to put it out there and see if anyone as had the same problem.

When I first start the car after being stood for an amount of time, set the fan to manual, full power, front vents I get what I would expect to be a full power fan of air coming out of the vents however, after 15m or so, the air flow gets weaker (fan speed unchanged).

I recently dropped the glove compartment out and removed the cabin filter to ensure that the fan was still blowing at full speed (which it is) so can confirm its not the blower motor or resistor.

When the issue happens the fan does seem to sound louder (or blocked), and when standing out the vehicle you can hear the intake fan drawing air in from the outside.

Changing any fan setting doesn't seem to sort the issue and with our removing the dash to get to the full air box I am at a loss.

Anyone else out there has and fixed this issue?
Possibly what you are hearing is a perceived change in speed when the system changes from "recirculate" to "outside air"
Try setting to "outside" right after you start the car and see if it still does it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My AC fan/blower does seem to slightly change on it's own depending on my speed or being stopped. A while back someone noticed this as well on a thread on here. I think it's supposed to be like this.

·
Registered
969 Posts
My AC fan/blower does seem to slightly change on it's own depending on my speed or being stopped. A while back someone noticed this as well on a thread on here. I think it's supposed to be like this.
only if you select you climate control to AUTO
if you manually choose the speed and or manual chose air flow 'path'- you override the AUTO selections -and it will all be constant speed.

·
Registered
626 Posts

It does sound like a door actuator issue (also called blend doors).
Modern HVAC systems, including the HRV, use DC motors or stepper motors to control the HVAC system air directing doors (blend doors), temperature control and the recirc/non-recirc door.

The motors or electronics can fail or there can be a mechanical failure (broken door or door linkage).
Both versions of the HRV HVAC control panel (knobs or the touch buttons) are using electric blend doors.

There were a few folks who mentioned a similar failure but, going by this forum, it's extremely rare.
In most vehicles the dash has to come out. Likely the case for the HRV also.

Here is one example in this thread:

Perusing the HRV service manual there is a ton of info.

• The manual mentions the HVAC system can report DTC's to the ECM. So scan the ECM with an OBDII reader.
  • The HVAC system can be put in diags mode for detailed testing.
  • Honda dealers can use their HDS diagnostic system for further diags.
  • There are tons of voltage checks for the HVAC system.
  • The system is too freaking complicated!

·
Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
108 Posts
A slight drop in speed when you're stopped can be caused by battery voltage drop when engine is at idle and electrical load on the battery is high.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ever figure it out??
Noticed this on my trip from East TN to TX this weekend. By the time I was in TX the sun was setting and beaming into the front windshield. The fan speed was set to max but was only blowing at about half. 2018 EX model. On re circulation, A/C on, and manual fan speed. I never use auto. Then right at the end of the trip it started to blow max and was delightful. 103 in TX heat ain't no joke lol.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,234 Posts
@Battlemoses

Any reason why you have recirc on? This should only really be used to aid defrosting the windscreen or when in dusty conditions. Prolonged use can cause the windows to stream up, plus you are breathing in the same air over and over again. Had a near miss on a motorway journey when both I and the driver fell asleep mid journey. Worked it out that Renault, in their wisdom, had positioned the Recirc button in such a way the driver would inadvertently hit it when changing to 5th. Not such an issue driving around town, but potentially lethal when on the motorway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Hadleys Taxi

Living in the hot humid South Louisiana, you almost never not use it. I know the A/C is a dehumidifier, and besides cooling it faster it is cooler than having that hot air being cooled from fresh air. Plus the harder blowing air. Which this HRV decides to reduce its own fan speed even if its on max. I also usually break about an hour 1/2 for bathroom break or something. I haven't gotten sleepy. Also never had windows get fogged up either, maybe because it was 101 outside? lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts