Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
As I read the test, The CX-3 is the superior driver by far with more power better trans, better handling. So if you want space HRV , anything else: not.

CX3 7.2 liters/ 100 km (32 MPG)
HRV 8.9liters?/100km (26 MPG) During my 2 years of ownership my CX5 has never dipped this low.

Seems a shallow victory.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the verdict summary:

"The CX-3 is a very enticing product, and its sharp design (it’s easily the supermodel of this bunch) will win over many small SUV shoppers. Same too its promise of superior power and handling.

But it’s too small for the purpose - especially if you want to press it into family duties.

It’s little more than a jacked-up Mazda2 with better bodywork and a bigger engine, and its cramped rear quarters and tiny boot space can't match the bigger, roomier HR-V.

And that leaves the HR-V. It’s not without flaws, but it delivers on what many will be looking for in this segment: space, ease of driving and comfort.

It's substantially more expensive than the Captur Dynamique, but wins on versatility and comfort in this comparison. The CX-3 is an awfully close second.

So, the cigar goes to Honda's HR-V; the 'most rounded' choice, it wins for its versatility, comfort and space."

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm waiting for the direct comparison shootout that compares the 5-7 strongest contenders in the CUV segment, 2WD and AWD. Somebody will do that comparison by year's end. C&D loves that kind of thing.

A big defining moment will be to see if any of these new cars makes the C&D ten best list. My guess is the Renegade wins over the HRV and CX3 - it sold 4,000+ units last month, with limited supply. And car editors can't resist the "Jeep built in Italy" story.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't get this talk of limited supply with the Renegade which has been on sale for over 2 months now. Several Jeep dealers in my area have rows of them in various colors and configurations.

I think for some that styling is just a no go. Kind of the same issue of the Nissan Juke, but above all for someone looking for an economical versatile small SUV, gas mileage of 21 mpg city and 29 mpg highway on the all-wheel drive, is not going to cut it.

Also price accordingly it going to be expensive. Just looked at a recent review on the Renegade and AC is optional????? Good luck! Oh, and the reliability of a Fiat Renegade???? :(:(

Better off going with the Jeep Cherokee if you gotta have a rough off-road terrain capability vehicle.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to see that and it's sure to be on the way. The winner will be the one with qualities the testers most value. HRV4ME types will base the winner on how much crap can be crammed on board. Those who value style,.acceleration , driver involvement , superior infotainment, driver ergonomics, fuel mileage, and towing ability will want something other than the HRV.
HRV4ME
The idea the CX 3 is a jacked up 2 with a bigger engine is pretty much right, and is enough to make it more desirable to me. Now add to that is has a bit more interior space, can tow up to 2640lbs, and is available with AWD and you got a neat cuv.

And the HRV is just a jacked up Fit with a Civic engine and tall boxy body. So what? That is how the car makers give us more choice without investing in a lot of tooling costs that have to passed on to us.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not to mention that Honda kills Mazda in reliability and resale value.
Resale value no dispute.
Reliability?
Consumer Reports says that when they combine their test results with reliability surveys the only brand that tops Mazda is Lexus. Honda in not in the top 5.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HRV4ME types????

No need to refer to others in that manner.

And just so you know, I value style, versatility, reliability, gas mileage, cargo room, safety features and crash tests, ownership costs, etc. which is why the HRV fits my needs perfectly.

YMMV, but I am surprised the number of people here that dislike the HRV, but cannot seem to stay away to other boards for the vehicles they actually like...too much negative energy unfortunately. :(
Yeah, I'd like to see that and it's sure to be on the way. The winner will be the one with qualities the testers most value. HRV4ME types will base the winner on how much crap can be crammed on board. Those who value style,.acceleration , driver involvement , superior infotainment, driver ergonomics, fuel mileage, and towing ability will want something other than the HRV.
HRV4ME
The idea the CX 3 is a jacked up 2 with a bigger engine is pretty much right, and is enough to make it more desirable to me. Now add to that is has a bit more interior space, can tow up to 2640lbs, and is available with AWD and you got a neat cuv.

And the HRV is just a jacked up Fit with a Civic engine and tall boxy body. So what? That is how the car makers give us more choice without investing in a lot of tooling costs that have to passed on to us.

·
Registered
290 Posts
>> I don't get this talk of limited supply with the Renegade

Yea, that was only true for a few weeks.

Everyone please don't slam me for this, because I am DEFINITELY not a Renegade lover. But that thing, in the first month on the lots, no advertising, minimal discounting, and limited availability the first few weeks (not now), sold 4,000+ units. I predict the Renegade will outsell the HRV by a wide margin. Let's come back in a year and see who sells the most. I test drove a Renegade, and it felt like you were getting $10,000 more car than you were paying for. That was just the emotional reaction you have when in you get in that thing - which is about the same size as the HRV. It really does feel twice as big inside. Your eyes are a full head above where they'd be in an HRV or Soul or CX3.

I repeat - NOT a Renegade lover here. But lots and lots and lots of Americans are and will be.

·
Registered
290 Posts
>> I value style, versatility, reliability, gas mileage, cargo room, safety features and crash tests, ownership costs, etc.

Me too. That's why right now the Soul is currently running ahead of the Fat Fit (aka HRV) in the contest for my dollars.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the Renegade will definitely sell, but because of the gas mileage and less versatility of the HRV, and for some the styling, it will not have as broad of appeal as the HRV. Then there is the issue of reliability and with it being a Fiat....well....:(

For example, last month, the CRV sold over 29,000 units while the Cherokee was about 19,000.

Above all, this class of vehicles is expected to become the dominant sales generator in the coming years...should be interesting.

Everyone please don't slam me for this, because I am DEFINITELY not a Renegade lover. But that thing, in the first month on the lots, no advertising, minimal discounting, and limited availability the first few weeks (not now), sold 4,000+ units. I predict the Renegade will outsell the HRV by a wide margin. Let's come back in a year and see who sells the most. I test drove a Renegade, and it felt like you were getting $10,000 more car than you were paying for. That was just the emotional reaction you have when in you get in that thing - which is about the same size as the HRV. It really does feel twice as big inside. Your eyes are a full head above where they'd be in an HRV or Soul or CX3.

I repeat - NOT a Renegade lover here. But lots and lots and lots of Americans are and will be.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also love the Soul. Had it for a rental recently and thought, what a fun car. Really enjoyed driving it around the city. I just wish it had the following:

1. Better gas mileage
2. AWD
3. Better ownership costs.

http://www.intellichoice.com/1-12-2015-57524-0/2015-kia-soul-exclaim-4dr-wagon.html

>> I value style, versatility, reliability, gas mileage, cargo room, safety features and crash tests, ownership costs, etc.

Me too. That's why right now the Soul is currently running ahead of the Fat Fit (aka HRV) in the contest for my dollars.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Am I wrong in saying the cars are different in each territory, so I in Los Angeles won't get a good read on cars sold in Australia?

·
Registered
402 Posts
HRV4ME types????

And just so you know, I value style, versatility, reliability, gas mileage, cargo room, safety features and crash tests, ownership costs, etc. which is why the HRV fits my needs perfectly.

YMMV, but I am surprised the number of people here that dislike the HRV, but cannot seem to stay away to other boards for the vehicles they actually like...too much negative energy unfortunately. :(
Sorry HRV4ME. I certainly meant no offense. Was just using you as an example of those who seem to value interior volume over most other considerations(which is a perfectly legitimate point of view). I do not dislike the HRV and Have considered it for myself at times, but as I learn more, I think its not for me at this time. Heck,I have not even driven any of the.cars in the segment yet. My opinion is subject to change. I just like playing Devil's advocate with those who seem so dogmatic in their choice. I should realize that this is an HRV forum, so of course most here are leaning that way or have already made their choice.
I shall be more careful not to offend.

·
Registered
514 Posts
HRV4ME types????

I personally love having okhick and others on board who are somewhat interested in the hrv but may have more interest in other vehicles now that the details have come out. It helps me as someone who does not read about every vehicle to learn about Subaru's who have oil issues, what people like about the cx-3 over the hrv, etc.. Heck, maybe I missed out in looking at something that may be a better fit. Questioning the hrv is a good thing.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Okhick! ;)

Sorry HRV, I certainly meant no offense. Was just using you as an example of those who seem to value interior volume over most other considerations(which is a perfectly legitimate point of view).
I shall be more carful.

·
Registered
514 Posts

I haven't looked into the renegade, I have always loved the styling of the Cherokee, but just wasn't interested in their cost. I should look into the renegade just because I love it when their commercial comes on, I am hooked with their music selection. hey hey hey! :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
We passed on the Renegade (my wife adored it) purely out of fear. Fiat scores at the bottom of all European makers for quality. Jeep scores at the bottom of all American makers. At 60, we just didn't have the stomach to risk the reliability thing. It's emotional, not rational - the thing has a warranty, after all. We just didn't want to risk the aggravation. To paraphrase, "A recession is when your neighbor's brand new car is broken. A depression is when your brand new car is broken.".

1 - 20 of 33 Posts