Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been following the HRV since in design mode, and have been following this forum since the beginning. I went to our local Honda dealer today where we purchased our 2001 Accord, and our mission was to get my wife into all the models to see her first impressions, and to compare ride height and front sight lines. In the past we’ve had compact station wagons (Tercel, Tracer) and two sedans (Camry and Accord). In the Mercury Tracer, she had to look through the steering wheel to see the road, and she’s only 5ft 1in, so ride height and sight lines are very important. I’m 6’2.

Our kids are out of the home and with just me working, we feel the family sedans are too big and there’s lots of empty space that would be unused, so we are looking to upgrade the interior with a compact, rather than just have a base family size. We did not take them for a ride or compare other features, this was just a broad look at Honda models with my focus on the HRV as a target one.

These are just our first impressions.

The Accord was very large inside, and the display was set up very well. Too much space. Some of the plastics were cheaper looking and quality than the 2001 we had. Comfort was good as usual. We just don’t need the extra space.

The Fit was huge, looked good and felt nice. But, my wife wanted a bigger vehicle for safety reasons, and the seats are questionable at first glance.

The CRV was like a mini-van. Really spread out with plenty of room to put things. Too much room. The display was very nice, but the hood slope didn’t help with perceived depth as in other past vehicles. There was no discernable height difference from either of us compared to the HRV.

The Civic has the ugly slope to the front, and inside was hideous. The extra tier was distracting in front of the driver, and there was too much dashboard, a waste of space, but probably the slanting window saves 1mpg.

The HRV was interesting. It was a good height to get into, the doors open really, really wide. Good nice sound when closed. The display was well centered and the screen was bright even in some glare. Regular Honda quality. The hatch opened so easily and it is really wide. Not much depth inside until you put the seats down, and then it’s large. The quality of materials was very good, and the slope of the dashboard and hood was nice, very helpful sight lines for her.The seats adjusted easily and felt right.

Now for me, I was conflicted and would need extended time again just to make sure it would work. That’s a warning sign. The moon roof opened very well, but I could feel my hair on it. My right knee was brushing up against the center console at times, but with a slippery paper mat, it was hard to get a good read on positioning. The left leg was fine. The second time I sat in it, I telescoped further back and tilted up, and put my seat further back…it really moves back a lot. I didn’t feel closed in anymore, so I’m not sure. It felt good, but not great.

The back seats were a problem. Good leg room , but the hips felt a little tight and the headrest was down so it bumped into my head at first…no big deal, we had just put the seats down. Headroom was not good with the moon roof. I had to lean back for a space for my head. I felt like Maxwell Smart in one of his secret meetings when the glass bubble came down over his head. Without kids anymore, and then only an occasional adult, it’s doable for the back seat. My wife would be fine and I could make it without the moon roof.

Now that I know what model of vehicle, I’ll start comparing it to other brands, especially the CX3 and impresa/Crosstrek. If a model has good sight lines and dashboard, our focus will be to start comparing features, seating comfort, and engine/road feel. High mpg will be a must.

Let me know what you think.

·
Banned
354 Posts
I?ve been following the HRV since in design mode, and have been following this forum since the beginning. I went to our local Honda dealer today where we purchased our 2001 Accord, and our mission was to get my wife into all the models to see her first impressions, and to compare ride height and front sight lines. In the past we?ve had compact station wagons (Tercel, Tracer) and two sedans (Camry and Accord). In the Mercury Tracer, she had to look through the steering wheel to see the road, and she?s only 5ft 1in, so ride height and sight lines are very important. I?m 6?2.

Our kids are out of the home and with just me working, we feel the family sedans are too big and there?s lots of empty space that would be unused, so we are looking to upgrade the interior with a compact, rather than just have a base family size. We did not take them for a ride or compare other features, this was just a broad look at Honda models with my focus on the HRV as a target one.

The Accord was very large inside, and the display was set up very well. Too much space. Some of the plastics were cheaper looking and quality than the 2001 we had. Comfort was good as usual. We just don?t need the extra space.

The Fit was huge, looked good and felt nice. But, my wife wanted a bigger vehicle for safety reasons, and the seats are questionable at first glance.

The CRV was like a mini-van. Really spread out with plenty of room to put things. Too much room. The display was very nice, but the hood slope didn?t help with perceived depth as in other past vehicles. There was no discernable height difference from either of us compared to the HRV.

The Civic has the ugly slope to the front, and inside was hideous. The extra tier was distracting in front of the driver, and there was too much dashboard, a waste of space, but probably the slanting window saves 1mpg.

The HRV was interesting. It was a good height to get into, the doors open really, really wide. Good nice sound when closed. The display was well centered and the screen was bright even in some glare. Regular Honda quality. The hatch opened so easily and it is really wide. Not much depth inside until you put the seats down, and then it?s large. The quality of materials was very good, and the slope of the dashboard and hood was nice, very helpful sight lines for her.The seats adjusted easily and felt right.

Now for me, I was conflicted and would need extended time again just to make sure it would work. That?s a warning sign. The moon roof opened very well, but I could feel my hair on it. My right knee was brushing up against the center console at times, but with a slippery paper mat, it was hard to get a good read on positioning. The left leg was fine. The second time I sat in it, I telescoped further back and tilted up, and put my seat further back?it really moves back a lot. I didn?t feel closed in anymore, so I?m not sure. It felt good, but not great.

The back seats were a problem. Good leg room , but the hips felt a little tight and the headrest was down so it bumped into my head at first?no big deal, we had just put the seats down. Headroom was not good with the moon roof. I had to lean back for a space for my head. I felt like Maxwell Smart in one of his secret meetings when the glass bubble came down over his head. Without kids anymore, and then only an occasional adult, it?s doable for the back seat. My wife would be fine and I could make it without the moon roof.

Now that I know what model of vehicle, I?ll start comparing it to other brands, especially the CX3 and impresa/Crosstrek. If a model has good sight lines and dashboard, our focus will be to start comparing features, seating comfort, and engine/road feel. High mpg will be a must.

Tall people like you will fit into the LX since it doesn't have the moonroof.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I’ve been following the HRV since in design mode, and have been following this forum since the beginning. I went to our local Honda dealer today where we purchased our 2001 Accord, and our mission was to get my wife into all the models to see her first impressions, and to compare ride height and front sight lines. In the past we’ve had compact station wagons (Tercel, Tracer) and two sedans (Camry and Accord). In the Mercury Tracer, she had to look through the steering wheel to see the road, and she’s only 5ft 1in, so ride height and sight lines are very important. I’m 6’2.

Our kids are out of the home and with just me working, we feel the family sedans are too big and there’s lots of empty space that would be unused, so we are looking to upgrade the interior with a compact, rather than just have a base family size. We did not take them for a ride or compare other features, this was just a broad look at Honda models with my focus on the HRV as a target one.

The Accord was very large inside, and the display was set up very well. Too much space. Some of the plastics were cheaper looking and quality than the 2001 we had. Comfort was good as usual. We just don’t need the extra space.

The CRV was like a mini-van. Really spread out with plenty of room to put things. Too much room. The display was very nice, but the hood slope didn’t help with perceived depth as in other past vehicles. There was no discernable height difference from either of us compared to the HRV.

The HRV was interesting. It was a good height to get into, the doors open really, really wide. Good nice sound when closed. The display was well centered and the screen was bright even in some glare. Regular Honda quality. The hatch opened so easily and it is really wide. Not much depth inside until you put the seats down, and then it’s large. The quality of materials was very good, and the slope of the dashboard and hood was nice, very helpful sight lines for her.The seats adjusted easily and felt right.

Now for me, I was conflicted and would need extended time again just to make sure it would work. That’s a warning sign. The moon roof opened very well, but I could feel my hair on it. My right knee was brushing up against the center console at times, but with a slippery paper mat, it was hard to get a good read on positioning. The left leg was fine. The second time I sat in it, I telescoped further back and tilted up, and put my seat further back…it really moves back a lot. I didn’t feel closed in anymore, so I’m not sure. It felt good, but not great.

The back seats were a problem. Good leg room , but the hips felt a little tight and the headrest was down so it bumped into my head at first…no big deal, we had just put the seats down. Headroom was not good with the moon roof. I had to lean back for a space for my head. I felt like Maxwell Smart in one of his secret meetings when the glass bubble came down over his head. Without kids anymore, and then only an occasional adult, it’s doable for the back seat. My wife would be fine and I could make it without the moon roof.

Now that I know what model of vehicle, I’ll start comparing it to other brands, especially the CX3 and impresa/Crosstrek. If a model has good sight lines and dashboard, our focus will be to start comparing features, seating comfort, and engine/road feel. High mpg will be a must.

If you thoigh the back seat and cargo area of the HRV were small, dont waste your time on the CX3 as it has a fraction of the space in the back seat and cargo area that the hrv has

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
...The Fit was huge, looked good and felt nice....

Now that I know what model of vehicle, I’ll start comparing it to other brands, especially the CX3 and impresa/Crosstrek....
I don't think I have ever seen the adjective "huge" applied to a Fit.

As you say, if there are only the two of you, rear seat width shouldn't be much of an issue, and there is plenty of legroom back there — at least on the side where your wife is.

If you feel the HR-V is a tight fit, looking at a CX3 is probably a waste of time, as it feels much smaller up front, and the cargo capacity is laughable, even with the rear seats folded down (and they don't go down nearly as effortlessly as Honda's "magic" seats).

Impresa/Crosstrek is an interesting comparison. Some people have gone that way, others HR-V.

If you end up choosing between the LX and EX trim for the HR-V, head room is certainly an important consideratiion, but keep in mind that the LX is the bargain version built to a price; the EX has a lot of extras that were essential to me (I wish the EX was available without the moonroof, a feature I have never found particularly useful on any car I have owned that had one). For me, keyless entry/ignition, 6-speaker sound system, variable speed intermittent wipers, fog lights, rear view camera with guidelines, heated seats and side mirrors, and privacy glass were all features that I didn't want to do without. On the other hand, the LX gives you more headroom, and uses traditional knobs, rather than a touch screen for system controls.

The dealer may consider you a PITA, but consider back to back to back to back test drives of both trims before deciding which is best for you. if the dealer really wants to make a sale, they will indulge your obsession. After all, it's your $20-25,000 they are going to collect.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The CX3 is tiny inside and the overall feel of the vehicle feels flimsy. The engine is pretty rough too. Really the only thing going for it is artful aesthetics and slightly better handling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
comparing to the new Toyota C HR

I wonder how the new Toyota C HR will compare in size, and if it will be more of just a raised compact, or unique at the get-go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts