Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live over 100 miles from the nearest Honda dealer and currently drive a 2008 CRV. I am very interested in the new HRVs coming out but am curious how it will differ from the CRV. I know it is shorter for one but need to figure out what would be a better fit for me here in North Dakota and if the HRV will even be something to consider with our long winters. I might even consider the new Pilot when I see how they redo it this summer - but don't think I need a vehicle that big.

All comments most welcome.

Thanks,
Melanie

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I live over 100 miles from the nearest Honda dealer and currently drive a 2008 CRV. I am very interested in the new HRVs coming out but am curious how it will differ from the CRV. I know it is shorter for one but need to figure out what would be a better fit for me here in North Dakota and if the HRV will even be something to consider with our long winters. I might even consider the new Pilot when I see how they redo it this summer - but don't think I need a vehicle that big.

All comments most welcome.

Thanks,
Melanie
No one can tell me what is different about the HRV and the CRV? I am a 47 yr old mom that will be an empty nester in 2 years and know very little about cars but drive a 2008 CRV and am curious about the new HRV. I live 100 miles from most car dealerships so not convenient to just pop in.
THANKS -
snowdr

·
Registered
2,732 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think pretty much anyone would tell you that the CRV blows the HRV out of the water for very little additional money. It's consistently one of the top rated cars on the planet.

Dangerous for me to speak for others on this forum. But I think most of us are considering an HRV primarily because we just want a smaller car. The CRV is in a class of vehicles that average around 15 feet long. The HRV is in a class of vehicles that average around 14 feet long.

We just like smaller cars, and in this case, an economical smaller car with a bit higher riding position and high utility and reasonably appealing looks.

Oh, and potential HRV buyers are also all highly intelligent and incredibly good looking. Welcome to our club :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think pretty much anyone would tell you that the CRV blows the HRV out of the water for very little additional money.
Oh, and potential HRV buyers are also all highly intelligent and incredibly good looking. Welcome to our club :)
To say the CRV blows the HRV out of the water is a bit broad and misleading, IMO... like saying an apple blows an orange out of the water. Especially when you've only seen pictures and read descriptions of the orange, and never actually bitten into one.

It's all about personal preference and your use of the vehicle. I've never had any interest in an SUV, including the CRV, but miss the old practical, fun to drive Honda hatchbacks. It's the Fit that I started looking at, which I think is a great car, but the looks just don't do it for me. The HRV, based on the Fit platform, same interior features (esp. the magic seats), still a small car, but higher seating... seems like a good fit for me. So to speak.

Of course when you see it next to the CRV (at least in pictures) it seems a more obvious comparison, and maybe it is... but with my particular biases, I'm still going to insist on thinking of it as a bigger fit, a tall hatch, and not a little SUV, 'cause that doesn't fit my minimalist self-image.

All of which is just to say that comparisons are tricky. And if you're really considering the Pilot, you're comparing a watermelon to an orange.

But I have to agree with Scooter's assessment of the HRV buyers (or shoppers): we're all great! Welcome! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To say the CRV blows the HRV out of the water is a bit broad and misleading, IMO... like saying an apple blows an orange out of the water. Especially when you've only seen pictures and read descriptions of the orange, and never actually bitten into one.

It's all about personal preference and your use of the vehicle. I've never had any interest in an SUV, including the CRV, but miss the old practical, fun to drive Honda hatchbacks. It's the Fit that I started looking at, which I think is a great car, but the looks just don't do it for me. The HRV, based on the Fit platform, same interior features (esp. the magic seats), still a small car, but higher seating... seems like a good fit for me. So to speak.

Of course when you see it next to the CRV (at least in pictures) it seems a more obvious comparison, and maybe it is... but with my particular biases, I'm still going to insist on thinking of it as a bigger fit, a tall hatch, and not a little SUV, 'cause that doesn't fit my minimalist self-image.

All of which is just to say that comparisons are tricky. And if you're really considering the Pilot, you're comparing a watermelon to an orange.

But I have to agree with Scooter's assessment of the HRV buyers (or shoppers): we're all great! Welcome! :D
Thanks everyone. It is a big decision and I have several months to decide. (08 CRV is going to college with my son) I did test drive the 2015 CRV last week. It was nice and had lots of little improvements over my 08. Markedly MPG - my 08 ranges from 18-24 and that 24 would be driving 55 mph with a 15 mph wind pushing me! I know the new ones are much improved.

I am not very big (5'1") and hope that the HRV adjusts to my size to consider it.
My biggest concern is clearance and ND winters. I will only have 1 of 4 kids home this fall as they are all growing up. I will no longer need to haul around hockey gear or buy groceries for 6 people either! I am hopeful the HRV will be a great fit for me.

Personally I think the FIT is ugly, I don't even like the Crosstour looks. From photos the HRV appears to be a bit sportier than the CRV. We do live in ND where winters can be long and rough and the only reason I am considering a Pilot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a 2008 CRV, just bought HRV to replace it, and set them side by side to compare.
I took a tape measure and they are almost identical in external dimensions.
I measured Wheel base length and width, Bumper to bumper length, Roof height (in the middle), road clearance, seat height, overall body width, hatch opening.
The only differences were CRV is 3 inches longer bumper to bumper (mostly because the HRV has no protruding front bumper) and 2 inches wider at the middle door post.
Width of hatch opening is 1.5 inches wider in the CRV.
I expected the HRV would be smaller. It is smaller than the current CRV, but almost the same size as the 2008.
HRV has smaller inside volume because of the rounded styling, sloped roof and raked windshield, and those things certainly make it look smaller.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I own a 2008 CRV, just bought HRV to replace it, and set them side by side to compare.
I took a tape measure and they are almost identical in external dimensions.
I measured Wheel base length and width, Bumper to bumper length, Roof height (in the middle), road clearance, seat height, overall body width, hatch opening.
The only differences were CRV is 3 inches longer bumper to bumper (mostly because the HRV has no protruding front bumper) and 2 inches wider at the middle door post.
Width of hatch opening is 1.5 inches wider in the CRV.
I expected the HRV would be smaller. It is smaller than the current CRV, but almost the same size as the 2008.
HRV has smaller inside volume because of the rounded styling, sloped roof and raked windshield, and those things certainly make it look smaller.
It's very helpful to have a back-to-back comparison from someone who owns and drives both vehicles. I didn't realize that the CR-V had grown so much since 2008. This was one reason that we never replaced our 2003 Subaru Forester with another — much as we liked the Forester, the new ones were just too big for our garage.

Re the OP's question, my wife is just about 5 feet, and likes the HR-V much better than she did our 2009 Fit, mostly because the adjustable seat height lets her see better out the front of the vehicle. Yet the HR-V is still much lower than a full on SUV, so getting in and out is still a car-like experience. If I lived in North Dakota, I'd probably be looking at the AWD variant. Honda front wheel drive tends to handle ice and snow very nicely, but there are situations where having power to all 4 wheels is an asset.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've owned both now - my 2012 CRV EX was incredible.
Performed admirably in the Mo winter snow, great gas mileage, rode perfectly, wonderful cargo space, etc, etc.
But alas, my daughter just had our first grandson and guess what she was in need of? yep sold her the CRV and bought my HRV EX.
So far,so good 2500 miles later.
Anxious to see how it does in winter-like conditions.
A tad smaller in a few areas but the handling to-date has been a dream.
If it's anywhere close to the CRV, I'll be one happy camper!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Melanie, only you can answer the question of which one is appropriate for you. Read all the reviews and comparisons you want, but in the end it comes down to which vehicle best meets your needs. For me, hands down, it was the HR-V; others have different needs and priorities.

You live in a big part of the country, so it's going to take a 200 mile round trip to answer your question. Leave early in the day, and leave enough time to take long test rides in the latest CR-V, the new pilot, and the HR-V. By the end of the day, you should have enough information to make an informed choice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You live in a big part of the country, so it's going to take a 200 mile round trip to answer your question. Leave early in the day, and leave enough time to take long test rides in the latest CR-V, the new pilot, and the HR-V. By the end of the day, you should have enough information to make an informed choice.
I would second the notion of a long test drive. I have never driven an HRV, because when I was car shopping in October they were non-existent. I went with the 2015 CRV, which I love in most ways. One of the major ways I do not love it is driving comfort. I am a person who loves to drive distances and I am not that hard to please in the comfort area - no back, knee or anything else problems. However, this car is one that I cannot get comfortable in, and I have tried everything. I haven't been on a looong drive yet, but I am not looking forward to it based my experience so far. This is not something I picked up when test driving, because I didn't try to settle in in my normal driving position. Didn't really think of it, because I have never had a car that was particularly uncomfortable. ****, I can jump in a rental and be perfectly content driving across the west. This baby is a different story. YMMV. One person's torture rack is another person's luxury when it comes to car seats and beds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts