Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you want to skip the HR-V part it's at 5:15 and 8:04 and the impression so far from Consumer Reports is not looking promising with one of the guys saying of the HR-V "it makes me so sad, it's so depressing" :crying:

Another of the guys says the Renegade "isn't a very good car"....but they comment that it at least has a personality despite all of it's flaws.

Video also includes some discussion of cars in the HR-V market.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Remember, it's Consumer Reports....

Sorry, but it is Consumer Reports. They are good at reviewing appliances, but autos has never been their strong suit. I will rely on Auto publications who have a better understanding of the industry and consumers expectations. ;)

As for it being dull, it's kind of amusing. This is the exact same recipe that has made the CRV the #1 selling compact SUV for over 10 years. Dull is just fine again coming from Consumer Report. LMAO! Then they compare it to the Renegade...completely different type of subcompact SUV with a completely different target audience.

Kind of funny you listen to CRs comments then you read this review:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...drive-honda-hr-v-feels-like-a-champ/26698967/

"Overall: Charmer

We'd give the HR-V a very, very high score.

It wouldn't be surprising to see it dominate the small SUV market the way the compact segment became dominated by the larger Honda CR-V, now the best-selling SUV of any size or type in the U.S.

2016 Honda HR-V highlights:

•Styling: Graceful, distinctive.

•Space: Interior feels as if it's a vehicle a size or two bigger."

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sorry, but it is Consumer Reports. They are good at reviewing appliances, but autos has never been their strong suit. I will rely on Auto publications who have a better understanding of the industry and consumers expectations. ;)

As for it being dull, it's kind of amusing. This is the exact same recipe that has made the CRV the #1 selling compact SUV for over 10 years. Dull is just fine again coming from Consumer Report. LMAO! Then they compare it to the Renegade...completely different type of subcompact SUV with a completely different target audience.

Kind of funny you listen to CRs comments then you read this review:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...drive-honda-hr-v-feels-like-a-champ/26698967/

"Overall: Charmer

We'd give the HR-V a very, very high score.

It wouldn't be surprising to see it dominate the small SUV market the way the compact segment became dominated by the larger Honda CR-V, now the best-selling SUV of any size or type in the U.S.

2016 Honda HR-V highlights:

•Styling: Graceful, distinctive.

•Space: Interior feels as if it's a vehicle a size or two bigger."
CR does indeed review cars as though they were appliances. I should think this works in the CRVs favor as it is an appliance like auto . Fully competent and practical but unlikely to ignite the passion of an enthusiast.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Reliability Info is What I'm After

If it isn't a Subaru or it's made in America, CR doesn't like it. They have zero credibility with me.
I like looking at CR for the info they have about the reliability of the vehicle. They were not wrong about my Acura......super reliable - which is very very important to me. They may not know a lot about the automotive industry - but I trust their recommendations.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fact is that Consumer Reports runs all of the cars through the same tests and scores them based on performance. Then, if the car has at least average or above reliability, they'll recommend it. The reliability comes from their readers reporting problems. The fact is, that they seem to prefer Japanese cars because, well, Japanese cars really are more reliable than domestic cars. The gap has narrowed in recent years, and you do see Consumer Reports recommend domestic cars that score well and that are reliable.

Now, when it comes to driving impression or whether or not they personally "like" a car, well that doesn't factor in to their official recommendations. As long as the HR-V performs well and is reliable, then they'll recommend it. If it doesn't, then they won't. They use real numbers from their independent tests and surveys, and I really appreciate what they have to offer and I trust their results.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The fact is that Consumer Reports runs all of the cars through the same tests and scores them based on performance. Then, if the car has at least average or above reliability, they'll recommend it. The reliability comes from their readers reporting problems. The fact is, that they seem to prefer Japanese cars because, well, Japanese cars really are more reliable than domestic cars. The gap has narrowed in recent years, and you do see Consumer Reports recommend domestic cars that score well and that are reliable.

Now, when it comes to driving impression or whether or not they personally "like" a car, well that doesn't factor in to their official recommendations. As long as the HR-V performs well and is reliable, then they'll recommend it. If it
doesn't, then they won't. They use real numbers from their independent tests and surveys, and I really appreciate what they have to offer and I trust their results.
I would add they do not advertise for the companies who's cars they test, eliminating a conflict of interest and adding greatly to their credibility. In addition , they buy their test car at random from a dealer and do not rely on the car maker to deliver a typical production vehicle.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I want to hear the good, and the bad.

But I like to form my opinion on facts, and weight the facts based on my wants and needs.
Reliability, function, room for a family of 4 plus stuff, fuel efficiency.

What I can care less about is someone that wants to cry because the car does not move them.
It's a car, that moves you from point a to b, it's not your lover!

·
Registered
402 Posts
If it isn't a Subaru or it's made in America, CR doesn't like it. They have zero credibility with me.
That's not quite correct. When CR combines its test results with its reliability surveys, Its top 5 are 1.Lexus 2.Mazda 3.Toyota 4. Subaru. 5. Audi.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Different stokes for different folks.
The world would be boring if we all wanted the same things.

I"ll agree if you're looking for a passionate lover, the HR-V may be disappointing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did they really say anything that some of us don't fear inside? It's why we hear our own comments about horsepower, turbo, towing, power seats, etc. Still, I find the styling very attractive and I'm not expecting a sports car. But I hope accura makes a version that gives it that feel one day. But I do want to make sure I can punch the gas and get some movement when needed. I hate that Econ mode on my civic, it will kill me if I use it merging onto a highway. Luckily we can turn it off - and the same with the hrv.

So until I drive it - you just listen to it all to help pay attention to areas of concern. I know I will see if the high center console will bug my leg on a long trip - something I wouldn't even think about on a short test drive of it wasn't for the negative comments on it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I float a lot of HRV "negativity" on this forum, but that's just the engineer in me ruthlessly analyzing the facts as I learn them. I've followed this car with great interest since I saw the first Vezel and said "That's exactly the car for me". Actually, the Vezel still is the car for me - kind of sad that it morphed into the US market HRV.

So I plan to hit that showroom with an open but realistic mind. On my test drive I'll do the engineer thing - I'll dispassionately evaluate and compare the HRV with others. Then, like almost every other car buyer on the planet, I'll completely ignore my careful analysis and buy a car based on some emotional reaction.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Their Talking Cars segments aren't that closely related to their reviews/recommendations. For example, they talked pretty highly of that Jeep, yet when the recommendations come out it won't be recommended. As they said, it's a fun car, but it's not a good car. I expect them to say the opposite about the HRV--it's a good car, but not necessarily a fun car. I'm perfectly OK with that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
But really ask yourselves, how many utility vehicles, however small, are truly fun to drive?

I'd love the HR-V to have a Volkswagen Golf GTI performance package engine and chassis enhancements, but Honda is currently married to fuel economy above all else.
'
We had all hoped in our dark little hearts that once The Embargo was lifted we'd find that the HR-V had a "tuned" Civic engine which more than compensated for the extra weight of the AWD mechanisms, expanded FIT architecture, etc. Alas, no.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think I've detected a trend in this forum. Journalists that love the HRV are stunningly brilliant professionals. Journalists that don't love the HRV are grossly incompetent.

Hmm...
Just like any other area of interest (sports, politics etc)

·
Registered
290 Posts
>>But really ask yourselves, how many utility vehicles, however small, are truly fun to drive?

The original Honda Fit was an absolute blast to drive. Noisy but fun. It was lauded for a decade on C&D's ten best list. Those of us who knew the old Fit were kind of heartbroken when they made the new one so, well, mundane.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I float a lot of HRV "negativity" on this forum, but that's just the engineer in me ruthlessly analyzing the facts as I learn them. I've followed this car with great interest since I saw the first Vezel and said "That's exactly the car for me". Actually, the Vezel still is the car for me - kind of sad that it morphed into the US market HRV.

So I plan to hit that showroom with an open but realistic mind. On my test drive I'll do the engineer thing - I'll dispassionately evaluate and compare the HRV with others. Then, like almost every other car buyer on the planet, I'll completely ignore my careful analysis and buy a car based on some emotional reaction.
I would really appreciate your take on what you see. A new thread just for that would be great.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts