Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looks like invoice on the HR-V is $516 to $724 less than MSRP.

Also, I notice not all color choices are available on all trims for the HR-V. You can select a particular trim to see which colors are available for that choice.

For me, the Costco program will not be worth it, since they charge $500 over invoice plus the cost of a membership, bringing it over MSRP for the trim I want.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Looks like invoice on the HR-V is $516 to $724 less than MSRP.

Also, I notice not all color choices are available on all trims for the HR-V. You can select a particular trim to see which colors are available for that choice.

For me, the Costco program will not be worth it, since they charge $500 over invoice plus the cost of a membership, bringing it over MSRP for the trim I want.
Leon,
You were expecting to pay invoice for the car? Where did you see that $500 over invoice? ( You won't know discount until you talk to salesman participating in the Costco program). Your price does not show up on the website.

Honda has set what colors you can get with which trim. Costco is just showing that. Actually, I was surprised you could get the specific model and color you wanted. I plugged in "Manual LX, black interior" and all four colors
came up.

I am already a Costco member, so that adds nothing to the cost. I don't see how it is possible to drive it back above MSRP.

I am going to follow through on this to check it's price benefits. I am not ready to buy and I just think the info would be helpful to others. It even looks like you can get a "clean" one by taking extras off the car ,if possible or they will look for a clean one for you. If it turns out not any better than you can get elsewhere, I will duly report here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My apologies. I'm just doing the math is all. Yes, I am not a Costco shopper.

HRV4ME has said numerous times in this forum that it is typically $500 over invoice. I did not realize he was just estimating or what not, and that it varies.

So, seeing that membership is $55. Then $500 plus $55 would bring it over MSRP for some of the lower trims. That's all.

Disregard this if I did that wrong.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My apologies. I'm just doing the math is all. Yes, I am not a Costco shopper.

HRV4ME has said numerous times in this forum that it is typically $500 over invoice. I did not realize he was just estimating or what not, and that it varies.

So, seeing that membership is $55. Then $500 plus $55 would bring it over MSRP for some of the lower trims. That's all.

Disregard this if I did that wrong.
Leon,
I haven't checked all the trims but I did notice that there was actually a bigger gap between invoice and MSRP on an LX than an EX CVT. I thought that was strange, but there it was.
( All colors Honda offers were again available on the EX).

I will do more checking on the site later today. I think I am supposed to be contacted by a dealer later today in this program.

I am always a skeptic about these things, so I know where you are coming from. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Also, remember that COSTCO isn't the only buyers club. If you're in AAA or you work for a large company (or used to), you're probably in a no-cost program. Also your insurer might offer a program. A lot of times people have these benefits and never even notice it, so they throw money into the wind for no good reason. I have access to something like 5 car buying programs, and it cost zilch.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm intrigued by these buyers programs. I've barely heard of them, and never known anyone that bought through one. Either they're just not common (or even available) in Canada, or I'm just oblivious... which is equally possible.

Any Canucks with experience?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, remember that COSTCO isn't the only buyers club. If you're in AAA or you work for a large company (or used to), you're probably in a no-cost program. Also your insurer might offer a program. A lot of times people have these benefits and never even notice it, so they throw money into the wind for no good reason. I have access to something like 5 car buying programs, and it cost zilch.
Interesting...
I will have to search those. I will still compare what I can do on my own,of course.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I know Consumer Reports has a buyers program along with the aforementioned Costco, TrueCar, AAA, I even think Edmund's has it.

What I don't like about the referral programs are that basically they are just saying....."you go to this dealer, and this is the price". Is it a good price? Or is it just what makes the referral service and the dealership enough money. I'm still considering a buying broker, who will go out and fight, on my behalf, for the very best price. Not a service that works for the dealership to bring me as the customer to their door.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my last 4 cars via Costco, Edmund's, etc. The programs don't give you a prearranged price. What they do is connect you with the "internet" / "fleet" salesman. Some will email you a price immediately, others want you to call them for a verbal quote.

Pros - no haggle, easy transaction, usually fair price.

Cons - might not be absolute lowest price, but do you ever get that?

On my last 4 cars, I got price via email, dealer handed me keys for solo test drive / inspection at my leisure (about an hour), filled out paperwork, wrote a check, done.

As for prices, it depends on the vehicle and demand. I've gotten $500 over invoice, and below invoice on cars that weren't new model years. My friend got a bit below msrp when the Infiniti G35 was brand new. Showroom salesman from same dealer refused to go below msrp+$3k markup.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I checked out the Costco program. It's not quite ready for prime time... Here is the information from the email I received back:
The 2016 Honda HRV you selected does not currently have prearranged pricing typically available on most makes and models through the Costco Auto Program. Please discuss the price of the vehicle when you meet with the Authorized Dealer Contact. Remember, you are entitled to any manufacturer rebates and incentives. If you select a different model when you are at the dealership, ask to view the Member-Only Price Sheet to see your savings.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bought my last 4 cars via Costco, Edmund's, etc. The programs don't give you a prearranged price. What they do is connect you with the "internet" / "fleet" salesman. Some will email you a price immediately, others want you to call them for a verbal quote.

Pros - no haggle, easy transaction, usually fair price.

Cons - might not be absolute lowest price, but do you ever get that?

On my last 4 cars, I got price via email, dealer handed me keys for solo test drive / inspection at my leisure (about an hour), filled out paperwork, wrote a check, done.

As for prices, it depends on the vehicle and demand. I've gotten $500 over invoice, and below invoice on cars that weren't new model years. My friend got a bit below msrp when the Infiniti G35 was brand new. Showroom salesman from same dealer refused to go below msrp+$3k markup.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I plan on getting quotes from multiple outlets. I will keep everyone informed of what I discover.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I know Consumer Reports has a buyers program along with the aforementioned Costco, TrueCar, AAA, I even think Edmund's has it.

What I don't like about the referral programs are that basically they are just saying....."you go to this dealer, and this is the price". Is it a good price? Or is it just what makes the referral service and the dealership enough money. I'm still considering a buying broker, who will go out and fight, on my behalf, for the very best price. Not a service that works for the dealership to bring me as the customer to their door.
It seems like if you go with a broker you will end up paying the same amount--it will just go into a different pocket.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It seems like if you go with a broker you will end up paying the same amount--it will just go into a different pocket.
That's what I have been thinking....especially when the savings may not be that great on this car to begin with.

I don't plan to get into a down and dirty haggle. I will just find the best price among many and go with that. If I really like the salesman I am dealing with, I may ask him to match the lowest price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm basically using USAA's car buyers program as a starting point (it's just a TrueCar partner). I really don't want to haggle so I check the offers and when I'm ready (and the HR-V is listed so I can do a comparison) I'll see where things stand. The kicker though is that if I get a car through the service I can get an interest rate that is half a percent lower if I also finance through USAA. It might not be the best price and it might not be the best rate but it's definitely a good starting point to walk in with.

·
Registered
514 Posts
That's what I have been thinking....especially when the savings may not be that great on this car to begin with.

I don't plan to get into a down and dirty haggle. I will just find the best price among many and go with that. If I really like the salesman I am dealing with, I may ask him to match the lowest price.

Can't wait to hear your results!

I'm basically using USAA's car buyers program as a starting point (it's just a TrueCar partner). I really don't want to haggle so I check the offers and when I'm ready (and the HR-V is listed so I can do a comparison) I'll see where things stand. The kicker though is that if I get a car through the service I can get an interest rate that is half a percent lower if I also finance through USAA. It might not be the best price and it might not be the best rate but it's definitely a good starting point to walk in with.

I will also consider this route, at least maybe as a starting point to compare by using the buying and interest rate with them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts