Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. I currently own a '07 CR-V EXL AWD that my wife purchased in 2010. We're looking at the HR-V as a potential replacement vehicle as we will be moving to a warmer climate with less need for AWD. My wife really dislikes the lastest CR-V's styling. We're looking for better fuel economy and my wife likes to sit up high. The HR-V really looks cool and it may make our top 5 list to test drive as it makes it's way to dealers this summer.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Welcome! Best thing to do is drive and decide for yourself. Whats important to me or someone else, may not coincide with your criteria.

Greetings all. I currently own a '07 CR-V EXL AWD that my wife purchased in 2010. We're looking at the HR-V as a potential replacement vehicle as we will be moving to a warmer climate with less need for AWD. My wife really dislikes the lastest CR-V's styling. We're looking for better fuel economy and my wife likes to sit up high. The HR-V really looks cool and it may make our top 5 list to test drive as it makes it's way to dealers this summer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Greetings 07 CRV EX 2WD driver here too .....kind of in the same boat as you and your wife ......it will be interesting to see if going down a notch in size will be acceptable to you and your wife. After test driving the "H"RV last week if anything I developed more respect for my current 2007 "C"RV. The old 2.4 in the CRV is a great engine and moves that vehicle well . The 1.8 isn't as snappy in the HRV :( . Dimension wise you lose about 11 inches in length if I recall ...it doesn't seem like a lot on paper until you open the back hatch of the HRV and let out your first sigh .....its perceivably narrower back there too. I only get 23-24 mpg sometimes on a great week in my CRV. Thats all 70% highway 30 % city driving. So the thought of getting 30 plus mpg in the downsized HRV is a BIG plus and very appealing. Features HRV "LX" has that I am looking at over the 2007 CRV "EX" I have -not many really -a backup camera basically, better mpg . I am still on the fence I have to admit after test driving it :( ...I will be watching to see what you and your wife decide after test driving it . It is a great vehicle for what it is but I don't think you can easily compare it to a CRV of our vintage . Because you are spoiled so to speak by the CRV's dimensions, features and performance etc ..... its a tough decision .

·
Registered
751 Posts
A lot of Fit and CRV owners looking at the HRV. It's been interesting to me to read the comments after people see it in person for the first time: lots of "it's smaller than I expected", and a number of "it's bigger than I thought".

I've always been a small-car guy, in a place that's still less SUV-dominated than much of the States, and I'm essentially looking for a hatchback. I'm hoping the HRV is a more handsome, taller and better finished Fit. I'll be interested in my reactions when I first see it, which won't be until July unless I make a trip across the border.

But it's very informative to read about folks that drive the HRV and end up buying (or keeping) a CRV, feeling like there's more value there, for them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I waited a year for the HR-V and did three test drives over three days, then jumped into the 15 CR-V 3 minutes after the last test drive to compare.

Having had a Gen 1 and a Gen 2 CR-V, I loved the new 15. For just a bit more, the CR-V offers much greater value and I predict safety.

But subsequent research led me to the vibration issue in the 15, and it's a no go.

I'm disappointed in Honda right now, and am researching the Subie Crosstrek.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/63138-2015-honda-cr-v-vibration-idle-174.html

The complaints on this issue are rolling into the NHTSA. I don't believe the dealers are forthcoming on this issue and that saddens me. My dealer certainly didn't let me know about the issue, and tried to tell me that the recall for a run of the 15 CR-Vs solved the problem. No.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...ia.model=CR-V&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1980651

·
Registered
48 Posts
Grunie ....from what I understand the vibration issue is inherent in the earth dreams design as the crankshaft is offset from the cylinder by design -so you get vibrations because of that .......so I really don't know if there CAN be a fix for that complaint ...unless they come out possibly with some sort of engine mounts or dampener that isolates the vibrations from the cabin .....nothing is wrong with the engine supposedly- it just vibrates due to the design that is more "efficient" so it doesn't experience traditional frictional losses ........Im with you though it would be a no go for me too until they get that issue handled .

I owned a brand new Subaru Forester when they came out many years ago before I switched over to Hondas ....A few things I took away from that experience was that Subie repair parts are crazy expensive and that boxer engine design leaked oil once you hit the higher miles FWIW .

Re safety I have to agree the CRV would be safer . I have two young boys 5,6 and when I imagine them sitting in that HRV back seat VERY close to the rear bumper- cargo area I cant help but think that back seat is too close to the rear of the car ....maybe I am paranoid . Those Fiat back seats are also ridiculously close to their rear bumbers. Do a search on the Kia Souls for crash photos when hit from the rear and you will see those fold up pretty bad when hit from the rear ...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sootie, it's wild to think a vibration is build into the nature of the Earthdreams engine, eh? I couldn't live with it.

I test drove the HR-V three times. I wouldn't have my two young granddaughters ride in it. They are 1 and 6 1/2.

My take away is Honda is being slick with the minimalist design and are building to a price point. If that's what one wants, great. But, it's not for me. It was a disappointment as I thought it would be a more substantial little CUV than it is.

We have the new 2015 Subaru Outback. I'd urge anyone interested in a strong beast that will protect the family to take a look. I am satisfied that Subaru has resolved the engine oil issue. We've had ours for 7 months/7k miles and she hasn't drank a sip of oil. Research is backing me up on that. I'm thinking that frequent oil changes for the older models helped. I'm driving a friend up to buy a new 15. She has an 02 I helped her buy with 240,000 miles on it. Not one single problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with you ......I think they designed to a price point too....glad to hear the Subie issues are handled ...240 k with no issues how can you argue with that :) ........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts