Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S CVT 2WD Passion Red
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a separate note to this thread.

07/29/2022 we were 400 miles from home when we were showered by gravel from a truck as we were overtaking it. One piece of gravel hit on the lower passenger side (LH) of the windscreen, the crack was instant. I had my wife mark the end of it with her lipstick (pink mark on the crack) so I could track how quickly the crack was advancing.
It took approx. 3hrs for the crack to advance to where it is, it is still there today.

Yesterday my wife was picking up the Grandsons from school, on their way an Ibis flew into the windscreen and hit exactly where the crack is, luckily the impact didn't shatter the windscreen altogether.

I have the HRV booked in for a replacement windscreen Sat 08/06/2022, thank goodnessI have 1 windscreen per year free replacement on my Comprehensive Insurance Policy. My Insurer has quoted me6o 1hr to replace the windscreen - 1hr for the sealant to set hard enough to drive the car plus a further 2hrs to calibrate the rain and active braking sensors.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Window

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you get charged if you require a second replacement windscreen?

My excess is £60 per replaced screen, or £10 if repairable.
I get charged full price for the glass plus fitting for 2nd and subsequent windscreens, don't get another freebie until I pay the policy renewal premium.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you get charged if you require a second replacement windscreen?

My excess is £60 per replaced screen, or £10 if repairable.
You put the damn mocka on me HT. :D
Wife was driving out to pick me up from golf today and you guessed it.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Car

Sky Cloud Road surface Asphalt Tree

$750.00 insurance excess or $1,010 without the excess to supply - fit & calibrate. :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
145 Posts
FYI: A windshield won't shatter like a Tempered side or rear window glass does when hit. Laminated Safety Glass is used in the windshield. It's actually 2 glass layers with a plastic layer between. Some cars also use it in the side windows as well. There should be an etching near the bottom of the windows stating weather Safety or Tempered glass.
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Automotive design

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI: A windshield won't shatter like a Tempered side or rear window glass does when hit. Laminated Safety Glass is used in the windshield. It's actually 2 glass layers with a plastic layer between. Some cars also use it in the side windows as well. There should be an etching near the bottom of the windows stating weather Safety or Tempered glass.
View attachment 35158
I know the difference between Tempered & Laminated glass.
That picture of my windscreen has the chip within the drivers vision area, as such in our State if:
  • There is a chip larger than an Australian $1 coin, or impeding the driver’s vision
  • A crack extending more than 25mm length into the critical vision area
  • There is any damage obstructing the driver’s line of sight
the windscreen has to be replaced.
The windscreen also has the following info on it.

Hood Automotive design Hat Automotive mirror Material property

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally had the windscreen replaced (again 🤬), let's see if this one has a life span longer than 3 months.
My Insurance company ordered the wrong screen otherwise it would have been replaced last Wednesday.

·
Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
145 Posts
I know the difference between Tempered & Laminated glass.
That picture of my windscreen has the chip within the drivers vision area, as such in our State if:
  • There is a chip larger than an Australian $1 coin, or impeding the driver’s vision
  • A crack extending more than 25mm length into the critical vision area
  • There is any damage obstructing the driver’s line of sight
the windscreen has to be replaced.
The windscreen also has the following info on it.

View attachment 35162
Pretty much same rules here in my state. I only mentioned laminated glass as you mentioned "windshield shattering" in your OP. Glad you got it taken care of. Hopefully there willl be no leaks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts