Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a snowy day here in PA. I was going 15 under the speed limit and encountered a hill. Pressed the brakes, the car’s AWD didn’t really function, brakes kept slipping, and I crashed the rear of my car (after I jerked the wheel as fast as I could) into a guard rail. HR-V was stuck in a hole and had to get pulled out. Does anyone know why the AWD system & brakes didn’t do its job? Cop came and said that I had good traction on the tires and didn’t ticket me or anything. 2016 EX-L Navi AWD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AWD does not help with braking. You should have felt the ABS pulsing when braking?
I did, but it seemed to be doing nothing. My car has also been pretty rough in the snow lately, with traction control coming on at the slightest sign of snow

·
Registered
96 Posts
ABS will not help any car stop 'faster'. Instead, it allows you to steer (somewhat, of course, as traction is decreased).

From the description of circumstances, that sudden 'jerk' of the steering wheel broke the rear end away.

Glad you are OK!

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V LX CVT AWD. Crystal Black Perl with many many mods!
79 Posts
You said the cop told you you had good tires but I highly doubt that since you admitted that you loose traction at the slightest bit of snow. In my experience I can’t make mine loose traction even when I want it to but mine has the stock tires from micheline with less than 2000 miles in them and trust me that matters more than awd or any other factor, winter tires are nice but not for everyone cuz you need to store them and all the mounting and dismounting you would inevitably go through from owning them. Another factor to consider with snow tires is they put a strain on the steering system since the rack will now be fighting all the extra traction as well, ultimately this fried my Acura TL steering rack. Looking at the damage you got there looks about $1,300 in my estimate that’s at a good body shop with lifetime warranty. Good luck to you

·
Registered
23 Posts
your stock tires are in their 4th winter so its more than likely time for an upgrade . if you plan on keeping it long term I'd look into winter tires on steel wheels . I had a set of bridgestone blizzaks on my 99 civic lx and it was seriously night and day traction .

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. I put on winter tires the second the temperatures hit 7C / 44F and notice a huge difference in stopping power. Nokian R3's and Continental VikingContact 7's are the two top studless models on the market right now.

Here's a great video comparing the stock all seasons to winter tires:

·
Registered
539 Posts
HondadudeHRV....winter tires are put a strain on the steering system because they add traction? I thought that was a good thing? They add traction, not rolling resistance. Who wants to have their car wrecked, but have a good steering system? I can tell you do not have much snow where you live

·
Registered
86 Posts
HondadudeHRV....winter tires are put a strain on the steering system because they add traction? I thought that was a good thing? They add traction, not rolling resistance. Who wants to have their car wrecked, but have a good steering system? I can tell you do not have much snow where you live
Sounds like nonsense to me.. I've even tried searching on google and couldn't find any results about winter tires damaging a steering rack.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V LX CVT AWD. Crystal Black Perl with many many mods!
79 Posts
Sounds like nonsense to me.. I've even tried searching on google and couldn't find any results about winter tires damaging a steering rack.
Maybe it didn’t directly cause it but I could hear it struggle when I rotated the wheels when I had the snow tires on and the temps got into the 40’s I took them off before it got in the 50’s. The contact patch was also wider and vehicle weight significantly more 255 45 17 and over 4,000 lbs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see that your tail light will have to replaced. If interested, consider upgrading to these aftermarket ones:
4PCS DEPO JDM OE Vezel LED Light Bar Rear Tail Lights For 16-17 Honda HR / HR-V | eBay

They're a replica of the ones released on the Japanese edition of the HRV. I've been using them for over a year and no issues of any kind. Seller provides a 6 month warranty.
It’s actually really funny... I bought my car CPO not even a year ago and the taillights were filled with condensation. I just got them replaced last week so I’m waiting to hear back from the dealership to see if they have my old one...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
your stock tires are in their 4th winter so its more than likely time for an upgrade . if you plan on keeping it long term I'd look into winter tires on steel wheels . I had a set of bridgestone blizzaks on my 99 civic lx and it was seriously night and day traction .
I bought my car CPO less than a year ago... Don’t they have to make sure the tires have a certain tread on them or replace them completely?

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
211 Posts
Was there something in the purchase contract saying so?

As far as I know, boiling it all down, it just has to be in good working order to be sold, nothing more. Brand new tires at 9/32nd or used at 3/32nd is more than the legal definition of bald at 2/32nd.

And if you drive anywhere near like I did with my Fit... a year is enough to reduce a good chunk of tread life from tires. For me, it take less than 18 months to reduce a brand new Continental ExtremeContact DWS tire to bald. It loses winter traction "guarantee" in the first 6 months. The tires have D, W and S letters for dry, wet and snow and the S disappears first quite quickly for me.

The other issue is... even if the tires have decent traction, it doesn't take much to break traction. We had a fair bit of snow the other day and I broke rear traction a bit too often in my brand new HR-V with less than 5k miles on the odometer. Whereas, in my 2010 Fit, I have to purposely, with some effort to break front or rear traction in similar conditions. It's likely because of the AWD putting power to the rear, while I'm used to the Fit having none at the rear.

That said, you bought your HR-V less than a year ago... then, is this the first real winter you've driven it? Perhaps its really this inexperience that is to blame, than the HR-V?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts