Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
I bought my car CPO less than a year ago... Don’t they have to make sure the tires have a certain tread on them or replace them completely?
From what I understand, the CPO requirement is 6/32nd

I'm sure the tires had acceptable tread. The truth of the matter is the rubber was hard in cold temperatures and stopping power is reduced. Glad you're fine though, that's all that's important.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
All-Wheel-Drive does not equal All-Wheel-Stop. ABS will help you come to a stop more quickly, but if you have any forward momentum going down a slick hill, you may not be able to come to a complete stop. I recommend two things. First, decide if you want snow tires, or if the tires you have do have sufficient tread. Good tread makes all the difference. A brand new pair of all season tires will out perform bald snow tires. Snow tires in general will help with traction, but not necessarily stopping. Second, and maybe most importantly, consider a winter driving course if you haven't had much experience in driving in snow.

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
I don't feel that recommending to continue using all season tires is appropriate for someone living in Pennsylvania. Even if he had full tread, this could easily happen again.

Another option to consider are all weather tires - if getting rid of the stock Michelin's.

They're not as good as dedicated winter tires but they're close and they can safely be used year round

These are the best on the market right now:
Nokian WR G4 - All-Weather tires / Nokian Tires

$535 for a set of 4 from SimpleTires.. cheaper than another accident
$133.98 - Nokian WR G4 215/55R-17 tires | Buy Nokian WR G4 tires at SimpleTire

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
303 Posts
Snow tires in general will help with traction, but not necessarily stopping.
Putting a finer point on it, snow tires (with the Mountain and Snowflake symbol on the sidewall) have a rubber compound that stays supple in colder weather. That compound will reduce the degradation of stopping power in cold temps even on dry pavement.

The downside is, summer running of that rubber will actually cause the soft rubber to chunk apart! :eek: BTDT.
One of the car magazines ran their standard roadholding tests on snow tires with the same results...:rolleyes:

Google 'effects of running snow tires in warm weather' for lots of discussion.

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
They’re not summer tires so the traction will be good but if you view the video I posted earlier, snow tires would have given the needed stopping distance for people like OP to go through their day safely.

my neighbour also thought the traction was good on his stock all seasons and ended up totalling his car because the snow turned to ice overnight and he hit a curb hard enough.

personally, I am amazed at the traction in snow my Michelin's have

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
Google 'effects of running snow tires in warm weather' for lots of discussion.
You’re absolutely right and this is why the manufacturers like Michelin and Nokian recently came out with all weather tires.

they have the snowflake and the compound is designed not to wear excessively in warm weather

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I don't feel that recommending to continue using all season tires is appropriate for someone living in Pennsylvania. Even if he had full tread, this could easily happen again.

Another option to consider are all weather tires - if getting rid of the stock Michelin's.

They're not as good as dedicated winter tires but they're close and they can safely be used year round

These are the best on the market right now:
Nokian WR G4 - All-Weather tires / Nokian Tires

$535 for a set of 4 from SimpleTires.. cheaper than another accident
$133.98 - Nokian WR G4 215/55R-17 tires | Buy Nokian WR G4 tires at SimpleTire
So... I never had stock Michelin’s. The tires on my car are Doral’s.

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
The dealer probably put on a new set before you purchased the car

from the CPO checklist:
“Tires–OEM size, speed and load rating, matching brand & type”

looks like they don’t need to be the OEM brand

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
303 Posts
Doral Tires are an affordable private label tire made by the Sumitomo brand. They enjoy a well-earned reputation for combining performance and dependability at a value price.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Given that the car was fitted with budget brand tires, I would not be surprised if it was the cheapest tire model within that budget tire brand. Definitely invest in some better rubber. There's a huge discrepancy between solid all-Season tires from the likes of Continental, Michelin, Goodyear, etc. and the el cheap brands like Westlake, Milestar, and Nankang, etc.

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
Sumitomo is an excellent brand, I’d trust their products.

the only problem here is that all seasons are good for 95% of situations. he could have had Michelin’s best all seasons and this would have still happened

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Years ago, I splurged on Michelins for my Corolla. Developed a cup in the tire after 15k. Bad luck I guess.

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
303 Posts
You can't always determine the quality of a brand (or even, a tire 'model') just because a parent company has a good reputation.

Heck... these days, a tire could be made anywhere in the world. I just bought Nittos for our sports car, they were made in the USA.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sumitomo is an excellent brand, I’d trust their products.

the only problem here is that all seasons are good for 95% of situations. he could have had Michelin’s best all seasons and this would have still happened
Here's the thing: Sumitomo is a massive Japanese holding conglomerate that owns TBC, which owns the Doral brand. However, the Sumitomo tires that we know (Sumitomo, Falken, and Dunlop) are owned by Sumitomo Rubber Industries, which is a totally separate company. In other words, the only thing that Sumitomo tires has in common with Doral is that they're both owned by the same holding company. They don't even share the same parent company. Keep in mind TBC isn't even a tire company; they merely market other brands that are made by who knows who (rumor has it they're made in Indonesia).

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
Here's the thing: Sumitomo is a massive Japanese holding conglomerate that owns TBC, which owns the Doral brand. However, the Sumitomo tires that we know (Sumitomo, Falken, and Dunlop) are owned by Sumitomo Rubber Industries, which is a totally separate company. In other words, the only thing that Sumitomo tires has in common with Doral is that they're both owned by the same holding company. They don't even share the same parent company. Keep in mind TBC isn't even a tire company; they merely market other brands that are made by who knows who (rumor has it they're made in Indonesia).
You’re right but the reviews online are still fairly positive for this brand. Complaints are thin belts or fast wear - both things that didn’t cause OP to crash.

It doesn’t matter what the brand is or where it’s made, all season rubber will always harden in cold temperatures and then safety is put at risk when you’re in a situation like OP

·
Registered
80 Posts
You’re right but the reviews online are still fairly positive for this brand. Complaints are thin belts or fast wear - both things that didn’t cause OP to crash.

It doesn’t matter what the brand is or where it’s made, all season rubber will always harden in cold temperatures and then safety is put at risk when you’re in a situation like OP
While I completely agree that cheap all-season tires (and paradoxically, the expensive high performance ones like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S) aren't up to snuff in the cold, most of the ones that have the M+S or mountain snowflake symbol are decent enough in snow. They're not particularly good on ice, but in light snow and cold temperatures they don't harden up like summers or cheap all-seasons.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts