Honda HR-V Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hopefully one day, all weather will be the standard on new cars instead of all seasons so accidents can be avoided.

IMO, all-weather tires are terrible in summer. They are also a compromise tire.
Noisier, more rolling resistance, poorer handling, less tire life.

It is not something that tire makers have adopted

All-weather tires have been around for over 15 years.
Nokian (Finnish tire company) was the 1st but now many tire manufacturers offer all-weather tires.

Goodyear Weather-ready
Toyo Celsius
Firestone Weathergrip
Michelin Cross-Climate
and others.

We have been using Nokian all-weather tires on our vehicles for over 12 years.
We only run these in the winter.
We run all-weather tires year round on all our company work vans.

For a tire to be designated "all-weather" it must have the snowflake symbol.
There is no magic here. All-weather tires are essentially a hard compound winter tire.
Not nearly as good as a soft compound true winter tire on snow and ice but way better than an all-season tire.
They last way longer than a soft compound winter tire.
Of course, some all-weather tires are better in the snow than others.
They can be used on summer pavement but not nearly as good as a true summer tire

Nokian tires have limited distribution in North America. They used to be excellent tires, pricey and made in Finland.
Now they are much cheaper in quality and cost and now made in Russia, and likely China in the future.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nokian tires have limited distribution in North America. They used to be excellent tires, pricey and made in Finland.
Now they are much cheaper in quality and cost and now made in Russia, and likely China in the future.
Out of curiosity, why do you feel they're cheaper in quality than before?

I've got the zLine A/S, entyre 2.0 and R3's all made in Russia. I find them all to be the best compared to what was offered by the competition. Both in quality and cost (except for the R3's, those were expensive).

Nokian is actually investing in the United States instead of China so expect their distribution network to expand. Their goal is to double the sales in North America by 2023.

Article on the new factory in Dayton, Tenn.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That news article about the Nokian tire manufacturing plant in the U.S is encouraging.

I was responsible for about 25 Dodge Caravans in our company fleet for numerous years.
We were running Nokian WRG2/3 All-weather tires for years with very few issues.
All of a sudden, several years ago, we started having issues. Tires failing, bulging, blowouts, etc across the board.
That is when I noticed that the Nokian tires were now made in Russia rather than in Finland and that the cost of the tires had gone down.

We tried running the Toyo Celsius all-weather tires on a few vans. No quality issues but the tires did not perform as well in the winter as well as the Nokian all-seasons. We went back to Nokians.
We did try running dedicated winter tires but the employees were wearing out the front tires in 6 months or less.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That is interesting as it is unacceptable for one factory to vary from another. You were buying Nokian for a reason and price wasn't a factor.

Hopefully they realized mistakes were made and learned from them.

Only issue I've ever experienced is some dry rot on the R2 tires after two seasons but it could have been the dealers fault because the date code was 3 years old when I received them.

I called their corporate office the states and after sending some photos, the warranty team could not have taken better care of me.

Unfortunately, the good service ended there. Both Kal Tire and the regional Canadian Nokian rep were difficult to deal with. They didn't see the dry rot as significant but the set was eventually replaced with the R3's because the warranty team wanted to make it right.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
. Another factor to consider with snow tires is they put a strain on the steering system since the rack will now be fighting all the extra traction
I live in Northern Ontario and have Michelin X Ice on my HR-V, and 2017 Civic hatch.
Before my Civic hatch, I had a Civic I drive for 22 years, and always used Michelin X- Ice. Till the day I sold it, the steering has zero problems, and true, great on the highways.
Maybe if your wheels aren't aligned properly it may cause issues, but I've never experienced, or see this problem.

I actually bought the 2WD HR-V, but use snow tires. 5 years, and never been stuck or had issues.
Watch this video, and see the difference!

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V LX CVT AWD. Crystal Black Perl with many many mods!
79 Posts
I live in Northern Ontario and have Michelin X Ice on my HR-V, and 2017 Civic hatch.
Before my Civic hatch, I had a Civic I drive for 22 years, and always used Michelin X- Ice. Till the day I sold it, the steering has zero problems, and true, great on the highways.
Maybe if your wheels aren't aligned properly it may cause issues, but I've never experienced, or see this problem.

I actually bought the 2WD HR-V, but use snow tires. 5 years, and never been stuck or had issues.
Watch this video, and see the difference!

I agree i had a Acura Tl with Bridgestone Blizzack tires that was FWD and it was very good in the snow with that setup i never got in trouble really nowdays i dont have the extra storage to keep a spare set of tires and rims around :(

81 - 86 of 86 Posts